KX 121-2 Excavator Won’t Run, Help!

C21no1

Equipment
KX 121-2 Mini Excavator
Oct 10, 2019
Elkhorn WI
My excavator (V2203 KA engine) will not stay running it sounded like it was running out of fuel we shut it down and topped off the fuel even though the gauge still showed almost half a tank and then we would start it and it would run for five or 10 seconds and die so we tried to bleed the injectors one at a time and a little bit of air came out. When we crack open the nut on top of thefar right injector towards the front of the engine, The engine will stay running but as soon as we tighten the nut down it sputters and dies. Any help would be greatly appreciated we are in the middle of a job with this machine.

Last edited:

C21no1

Equipment
KX 121-2 Mini Excavator
Oct 10, 2019
Elkhorn WI
It will run with the nut on top of the #1 injector but as soon as you tighten it the engine sputters and dies. If you crack any of the other ones loose it won’t run.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Have you checked the voltage at your start/stop/run solenoid? There are 3 wires that activate two solenoids. One allows for the engine to start, then when the key is released the other keeps it running. Sounds like the run side is not getting voltage or not working itself.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If it was running and started to act up I would first replace the fuel filter. Do not waste your time looking at it. They all look good. Replace it. It is not that much money.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Check the pressed in fuel line fittings on the water/fuel separator. If you can move them, they could be sucking air. I have used JB weld to reseal them and it worked fine for a time. I have had to replace several of them on my KX71s. What you describe is exactly what mine were doing.