Kubota M9960 Tire wear issue

gjfarm

Equipment
Kubota M9960
Sep 30, 2019
L, MS
Has anyone else with an M9960 had issues with the right front tire wearing bad on the outside? My tractor has 2000 hours on it and needs a new right front tire while the left is fine. My dealer says they have never heard of such, but others tell me they experiencing the same thing. Does anyone know of a fix?

Attachments

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Has anyone else with an M9960 had issues with the right front tire wearing bad on the outside? My tractor has 2000 hours on it and needs a new right front tire while the left is fine. My dealer says they have never heard of such, but others tell me they experiencing the same thing. Does anyone know of a fix?
Odd.

Do you drive on unusual surfaces or conditions that could cause such wear?

Do you routinely turn hard left with FWA engaged?

Otherwise, would first check toe in.

No such issues with my 9960 but it has only 60+ hours.

SDT

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Have you jacked it up and checked for unusual play in the tie rod or front end bearings? Check to see if the tie rod is bent. Run it down the paved road and check to see if if it is pulling to one side. If you can set the wheel straight and look for a difference in the tilt of the front tires. Look on the net for instructions on front end alignment with a stick and a tape measure and check that out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruX0HJPnDjc The man shows the two measurements as equal. I was always taught to make the front an 1/8 of an inch smaller then the rear measurement. If the measurements are equal the front end will wander left to right.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Just looking at the picture you posted, which could be very misleading, it appears the top of the tire is leaning outward as it sets there.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My R1's wear wonky on both my M's but I do a lot of pavement driving.

Best tire wear I've gotten is Firestone's, worst it Titan. In fact Titan's plain suck for me.

I rarely have mine in FWA. 99% of the time they are in 2 wheel.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Post a picture showing both front tires. It might help us see what’s going on better.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
A neighbor's Yamnar was doing the same thing on one side, except the wear was on the inboard side of the tire. Turned out his kingpin and kingpin bearings were shot.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
and 'Toe' can differ between sides because it has 2 adjustable tie rod ends. Conversely, the upper or lower 'kingpin bushings can be worn. Not hard to check them (as well as the tie rod ends for wear)

With the outboards, remove the wheel with the center section suspended and grab the outboard planetary and try to move it vertically. If it moves, there is either excessive slop in the upper bushing or the lower and you can see which internal bushing is the culprit by observing the upper and lower casting for movement when lifting on the outboard.

I have that issue going on on a left outboard planetary but I'll have my dealer replace it this winter. Excessive movement will also cause the hermetic seal to start weeping fluid if it gets too bad.

Tie rod ends and the radial joint that connects the steering ram to each outboard casting can be easily checked for excessive slop and replaced but be sitting down when you price the tie rod ends and radial joint, neither are cheap.

Just did one tie rod end and one radial joint.