dismounting is not a failure

Hue

Equipment
Kubota L4060, box blade, stump bucket grapple, snowblower
May 17, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
When new to tractoring, I often felt like a failure every time I had to get out and finish things by hand. I've come to realize that it often saves time, you end up doing less damage, and heck....even manage to get some exercise. Let me tell you, trying to grab a 2 inch diameter "tree" with the tip of a stump bucket grapple that is 10 feet in front of you is challenging. :rolleyes:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
We had a tornado alert Monday afternoon. The wall cloud passed right north of us. Destroyed our yard with 70 mph winds and rain. Trees blasted or laid over. Three ocotillos ripped clean out of the ground. A small saguaro knocked over and buried by the avalanche of limbs that fell on it.

I got great exercise using my Kubota, hauling limbs to the chipper shredder. My Kubota is my main workout machine during the Fall-Winter-Spring.

As tired as I was after 4.5 hours of cutting and chipping, I had to stop and look at the Kubota and it made me smile. Neighbors are getting bids for the clean-up and I was nearly done by noon.

Some people think little tractors are of little use. Mine saved me another grand today and after moving-hauling or spreading almost 400 tons of material over the last six years, often in tight areas bigger machines could not get into, I gotta have respect for the capability of this wonderful creation. Don't know what I would do without it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Wow, sorry to hear about your damage Ray! We had nothing here; no wind, no rain, completely calm. But I guess that's par for the course- if there is such a thing as a weather "dead zone" in the valley, we are at the absolute center of it.
Let me know if you need another set of hands.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
We had a tornado alert Monday afternoon. The wall cloud passed right north of us. Destroyed our yard with 70 mph winds and rain. Trees blasted or laid over. Three ocotillos ripped clean out of the ground. A small saguaro knocked over and buried by the avalanche of limbs that fell on it.

I got great exercise using my Kubota, hauling limbs to the chipper shredder. My Kubota is my main workout machine during the Fall-Winter-Spring.

As tired as I was after 4.5 hours of cutting and chipping, I had to stop and look at the Kubota and it made me smile. Neighbors are getting bids for the clean-up and I was nearly done by noon.

Some people think little tractors are of little use. Mine saved me another grand today and after moving-hauling or spreading almost 400 tons of material over the last six years, often in tight areas bigger machines could not get into, I gotta have respect for the capability of this wonderful creation. Don't know what I would do without it.
Glad you are ok, and you are 100% correct on these little beasts saving the day!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks for the offer Bill!

Just when I was thinking of parting with my Troybilt Tomahawk II chipper shredder (bought in '90!), the thing saves my butt again. Definitely going to keep it now. But, I GOTTA make up a hitch mount to tow the thing around. Dragging it around on four acres sucks. Too big to fit in the bucket. Almost 300 lbs. I may weld up something tomorrow...

Scratching my brain to "figger" out how I can do it...

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Thanks for the offer Bill!

Just when I was thinking of parting with my Troybilt Tomahawk II chipper shredder (bought in '90!), the thing saves my butt again. Definitely going to keep it now. But, I GOTTA make up a hitch mount to tow the thing around. Dragging it around on four acres sucks. Too big to fit in the bucket. Almost 300 lbs. I may weld up something tomorrow...

Scratching my brain to "figger" out how I can do it...
Build it to fit the 3 point. I have my shop crane set up to go on my 3 point.
Also engine stand. My shop is small, and i have several out buildings. Driveway is gravel. So carrying it is the best option. Not to mention my shop crane is now off-road capable.

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
When new to tractoring, I often felt like a failure every time I had to get out and finish things by hand. I've come to realize that it often saves time, you end up doing less damage, and heck....even manage to get some exercise. Let me tell you, trying to grab a 2 inch diameter "tree" with the tip of a stump bucket grapple that is 10 feet in front of you is challenging. :rolleyes:
Agreed; an awful lot of times that I'm moving dirt, it takes hopping off and spending 5 minutes with a steel rake to polish off the work I'm doing and make it immaculate. Maybe some can do the same with the tractor, but it has yet to be a problem for me doing it that way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah wait till ya get old,,, then there aint no jumpin or hoppin off the tractor ,the closest I come to that if fallin off,, mostly though its kind of a slow crawl,,,, :D

Hue

Equipment
May 17, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
Yeah wait till ya get old,,, then there aint no jumpin or hoppin off the tractor ,the closest I come to that if fallin off,, mostly though its kind of a slow crawl,,,, :D
So....getting old is like being drunk?:D

sorry skeets, I couldn't resist.

Hue

Equipment
May 17, 2019
New Brunswick Canada

Glad you're OK, but bummer about the yard. I totally agree, I don't know what I'd do without my little orange hero. I have a 1000ft driveway, and I used to have a walk behind snowblower.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Great ideas guys! I am heading to the shop now...

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I’ve got the same chipper, with a very similar tow bar. Works really well, and saves you from lugging that awkward bastard around...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Maybe you bought it in 1990 but when are you going to use it?

Great job of fabing the hitch.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks!

That thing probably has a hundred hours or more on it. In my last house, once a year, I'd trim all the trees and feed 'em to the Tomahawk. I'd usually have a stack the size of two pick-ups end to end. After Christmas, my daughter and I would grind up the Christmas tree and put the chips in a couple wicker baskets for a week or two more of yummy tree smell. It sat a lot in between but when I used it, it worked hard. Now that I am an old fart, I can use it more because I can move it. :)