Carport for temporary tractor storage

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
When I bought my 2nd tractor I needed a place to store it. Had a carport company come in and build an enclosed carport (3 sides). Seems to me it cost right around $2,000.00. I now keep two tractors and a couple implements in it. I used gravel to create a level pad for the carport and had the installers install screw in anchors for the Oklahoma wind. Really happy with the results.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
My boys just put up a tarp covered garage from Harbor Freight. It is $174 this week 10 foot by 17 foot. For $50 more dollars you get an extended warranty that will replace the tarp for any reason for 2 years.

The pros are: the tubing is 1 3/8 inch diameter. Long enough for my L2501, FEL, and box blade. Looks pretty good for the money.

The cons: the tubing is a force fit. You are to pound the pipe together with a rubber mallet. I bought hex headed self taping screws and placed them in each joint to keep things tight together. The doorway is short so I must fold the ROPS in order to get into the garage. It has a roll up door that is hard to do by yourself unless you put a stick across it. I used a piece of pvc pipe to roll it up on.

I am in FL so I anchored the poles by outlining the building with railroad ties and lag bolting the posts to the ties. There is also 4 screw in ground anchors included in the kit that are on the 4 corners.

For the money it is a great thing to get my tractor out of the sun and rain.:)

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Looking at upgrading to a B2650 TLB with mower. Unfortunately I don't have a great spot to store it right now. I expect to have a spot in a garage for it hopefully sometime next year, but I have some projects I could use it for right now. Thinking about getting a carport for now, adding some walls on three sides, maybe all the way down or maybe just close to let air through, and then a flap on the open side.

I also have a 16' landscape trailer that sits out in the sun all summer. In the winter I have a pole building I can keep it in. But I was thinking I could use the carport for summer storage of trailer and tractor until I have a garage for the tractor, at which point the carport would still be useful for the trailer and firewood.

While I'd like to put it up somewhere where it can stay long term, I'm not sure I can. So wherever I put it up, I may need to move it in a year or so. For that reason, I don't want to pour a pad for it.

Anyone ever set up something like this for that purpose? Any advice or lessons learned?

Thanks
Whatever you get, make sure it can take the snow loads in winter and any other adverse weather conditions. We live in snow country where the buildings are designed for 60 psf snow loads. The HF fabric roofs won't cut it. The regular ag hoop structures might be Ok.