Post hole auger size?

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
What would you consider to be the maximum size auger, practically speaking, for a BX2380? I will probably need a 6" hole to put in posts and to plant small trees in a field. I hope it will handle at least that size.

What's your experience?

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Not a bx owner but I would not be surprised that many will want to know your soil type ?
Clay or rocky or whatever.
P.S. Be sure to remember keep the RPM slow and run the bit up and down a lot so that you only dig a few inches at a time. Stuck aulger's are no fun.

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
I've got a 12 in auger for my BX 2370. I think I could handle a bit bigger but that was the largest they had when I picked it up, a 18 would probably be a bit much. The biggest Issue is that the tip of the auger will drag on any little bump because there is just not enough lift in the 3 point.

For reference I've got hard wet heavy clay. I do need to make sure that I clear the hole regularly, especially with my extension installed. Last weekend I dug footings for my new deck, one got stuck and it sucked into the hole. A little shovel work and a chain on my loader got it out without too much work. The rest went fine after I realized I needed to clear the holes often. While running the auger I was just over idle, never needed more power.

pgmrdan, this is the third post I've see you asking about if a BX can handle something. In the year I've had my BX 2370 I've yet to find something I can't do, just a few things that take a bit longer, usually it is traction or loader capacity that is the limiting factor, not power. While there are those out there who disagree but a BX IS a tractor, and can get a lot of work done, I've even started to see them on highway construction jobs once an a while (specialty contractors not the dirt guys). Don't baby your machine too much, they would rather work, and do it well.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
I had a 12 inch get stuck in the clay behind my mx5100. I was clearing the hole regularly, but one time it caught and dug in.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
With my BX25D, I run a 9" auger. It will work for 6"x6" posts. The ground here is very hard and rocky. I'm talking pumpkins and tennis balls. I really didn't think the auger would work, but I am amazed at how well it works and lifts and throws rocks out. I did two fence lines one 350' and one about 60'. It takes longer to maneuver the tractor than to pop out the holes.

Last edited:

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
I have been using an older Leinbach with a 9 inch auger hooked to a BX24 for some time & have had no problems. Here in SC Red clay soil, makes bricks.

Reeko

Equipment
Soon to be BX25
Feb 21, 2016
Berea, KY
I have a 12" on my BX25D. If I was to do it again Id go 9". Dealer wants $350 plus freight for a 9" for my Landpride PD10. I guess I'll just be buying more concrete instead. The auger bits are way over priced.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
BX25D...9" is perfect for 6 x 6 posts...doubt it would do more than a 12". Height or depth is the biggest issue...I can't dig more than 24" in most spots...if the tractor is parked uphill I can get 30 - 32".

Last edited:

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
pgmrdan, this is the third post I've see you asking about if a BX can handle something. In the year I've had my BX 2370 I've yet to find something I can't do, just a few things that take a bit longer, usually it is traction or loader capacity that is the limiting factor, not power. While there are those out there who disagree but a BX IS a tractor, and can get a lot of work done, I've even started to see them on highway construction jobs once an a while (specialty contractors not the dirt guys). Don't baby your machine too much, they would rather work, and do it well.
I'm just doing my homework before I lay down cash for one but I must admit that after owning a Ford 3000 for 10 years the claims for what the BX2380 amaze me almost, but not quite, to disbelief. But I also know that 10 acre tobacco farms were farmed with very small tractors with engines of less than 20 hp.

My lawn mower has an 18 hp motor but it's lightly built and geared for speed not torque. Totally different beast. The most it can pull is 300 pounds which includes the driver. I'm just getting used to the mindset of having a 23 hp machine that can do so much. Then I consider my Bobcat 751. I can't remember how many hp it has but it's not all that much and the work it can do is amazing!

Like I said, I'm just doing my homework and I hope you guys don't mind all of my questions but these Kubota sub-compacts sound awesome. I just want to make sure.

Thanks everyone!

lordulrich

Equipment
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
pgmrdan,

Sorry if it came off as frustrated, BXs are amazing little beasts. The little 23HP diesel engines do have a lot more oomph than the engines on flimsily lawn mowers of similar rating do. The torque curve of a diesel engine lets you get power when you need it while gas engines have a much narrower optimum torque range.

I've run across several people who don't believe my BX is capable of things. My uncle, who has some larger equipment, won't believe my BX will do much other than mow and the occasional bit of loader work. Really the biggest limits I've seen is they are light and loose traction when doing ground engaging work, the 3 point has limited lift, and there is only so much loader capacity. If doing much ground engagement (plow, not tiller) a B might be a better fit. None of the limits I've found prevent me from getting work done, sometimes it just takes longer.

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
pgmrdan,

Sorry if it came off as frustrated, BXs are amazing little beasts.
None of the limits I've found prevent me from getting work done, sometimes it just takes longer.
Hey, no problem. I appreciate the information and that last sentence of yours is the key. As long as someone understands the equipment and is patient they can get some very large jobs done with some very modest equipment but it has to be the right equipment.

A sub-compact tractor should hold up to heavier slower work much better than any lawn tractor could ever hold up. A garden tractor could do some of the work I need but I want something with a 3-point hitch and PTO. The BX seems to be a surprisingly good possibility. If I get in a bind and need something heavier to do the job I should be all set with my skid steer and utility tractor even if I have to drive on the lawn.

seagullplayer

Aug 23, 2017
Indiana
Just to piggy back on this topic a little.

I know my BX2200 has limited 3 point lift. What do I need to look for in an auger? How do I know I could clear the ground with it?

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Just to piggy back on this topic a little.

I know my BX2200 has limited 3 point lift. What do I need to look for in an auger? How do I know I could clear the ground with it?
The everything attachments post hole digger puts the three point inside the yoke to maximize lift...but even then you'll only get 24 to 32".

lordulrich

Equipment
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
I've been thinking about adding another hole to the arm of my post hole digger where the yoke for the lower link arms attach to the upper arm, closer to the tractor to get the gear box further off the ground. I've just been dragging my feet about doing it. Might look at one that would be easy to modify if needed.

There are a few that claim to be for sub compact tractors, but the one I got was 1/3 the price of any I found "sized" for my tractor.

lordulrich

Equipment
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
I have a Speeco, it is big for the BX but works. I got it because it was cheaper than 2 days of rental of even a small auger in my area (rentals are stupid expensive where I am). I don't like drilling thru round tube and that is what I've been not wanting to do.

Landpride makes one for the BX series tractors, I thought about getting one but the price was just beyond what I could justify. I'd think that would would work without modification.

Everything attachments has one for smaller tractors. The issue I see with some of the post hole diggers for smaller tractors is that they have shorter bits. In my area the everything attachments augur would be basically useless and I won't get even close to frost depth, I'd have to put an extension on every hole.

If I were you I'd also be looking at a post hole digger for your skid steer. The advantage of a skid steer digger is they have a reverse function with is the one downside to 3 point diggers. If you hit a rock you'll wish you had reverse. I'd probably do that if I have a skid loader but my BX is the biggest peice of equipment I've got.

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
I have thought about implements for the skid steer but they run on the hydraulics and are expensive. I had the local guy watching for a used one for my bigger tractor but no luck yet. It would be bad for the lawn. A cat 1 could be shared between the tractors.

frierfly

Equipment
B26TLB
Sep 15, 2019
Kentucky
... I do need to make sure that I clear the hole regularly, especially with my extension installed...
Did you buy to fabricate your extension?
If purchased, do you have a make/model and store you bought it at?
If DIY, what materials did you use?

I am considering making one since I can't find anyone who makes or sells them.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
"pgmrdan, this is the third post I've see you asking about if a BX can handle something. In the year I've had my BX 2370 I've yet to find something I can't do, just a few things that take a bit longer, usually it is traction or loader capacity that is the limiting factor, not power. While there are those out there who disagree but a BX IS a tractor, and can get a lot of work done, I've even started to see them on highway construction jobs once an a while (specialty contractors not the dirt guys). Don't baby your machine too much, they would rather work, and do it well."

Reading some of the posting make you wonder why a person takes the time to respond to them. If you are disturbed by a person's question just move on. You never know what motivated a person's question. The price of a piece of equipment may be a large investment for someone or it maybe someone else's pocket change.

In addition, if one has no experience to refer back on or their experience does not reflect correctly to the situation they are experiencing may seek additional information to make a sound and SAFE decision. After all the whole idea of this forum is to teach and to learn. We never know in these short notes to each other all the circumstances that provoke a question.