Transmission lube question (non-HST)

lloydd

Equipment
B8200DT
Sep 21, 2019
Kingston, TN
Hello,

I am new to this board, and new to Kubota. I am much more familiar with older Ford tractors. We just brought home a 1985 B8200DT with turf tires, P/S & 4WD - shows 904 hours. This came with an RCB 60-I belly mower run by an FP82-A front belt driven PTO.

This is a gear tractor - not HST. The PO didn't think the transmission oil had ever been changed. The dipstick looks pretty clean. Still, since this also feeds the power steering and the lift hydraulics, I want to replace this.

The operator's manual (dated 1985) lists 10 brands of "multigrade transmission fluid" and recommends Kubota UDT fluid. The capacity is 19 quarts. Would I be able to get something similar at our local Tractor supply?

I very much appreciate your recommendations as I work my way through this tractor. Not a restoration but a full refit before it goes back to work.

thanks,
Doug Lloyd
Kingston, TN

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hello,

I am new to this board, and new to Kubota. I am much more familiar with older Ford tractors. We just brought home a 1985 B8200DT with turf tires, P/S & 4WD - shows 904 hours. This came with an RCB 60-I belly mower run by an FP82-A front belt driven PTO.

This is a gear tractor - not HST. The PO didn't think the transmission oil had ever been changed. The dipstick looks pretty clean. Still, since this also feeds the power steering and the lift hydraulics, I want to replace this.

The operator's manual (dated 1985) lists 10 brands of "multigrade transmission fluid" and recommends Kubota UDT fluid. The capacity is 19 quarts. Would I be able to get something similar at our local Tractor supply?

I very much appreciate your recommendations as I work my way through this tractor. Not a restoration but a full refit before it goes back to work.

thanks,
Doug Lloyd
Kingston, TN
Stay away from cheap generic hydraulic fluids, they will only cause you problems.
You can go aftermarket on fluids just make sure they are Kubota UDT compliant very few are, safe bet is to get kubota UDT.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Like Wolfman said stay away from the cheap fluid. The few dollars you save could cost you thousands in repairs. To me it's just not worth it.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
It came with UDT in 1985 and it’s lasted this long and still looks good. I would bite the bullet and put fresh UDT back in it. Can’t got wrong with the OEM fluid/filters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lloydd

Equipment
B8200DT
Sep 21, 2019
Kingston, TN
Thanks guys, I will drain & replace the transmission fluid with Kubota UDT. Time for me to start getting aquainted with our area Kubota shops.
thanks,
Doug

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I use either Rotella Hydraulic Fluid or Chevron Synthetic THF in both my gear drive Kubota's. Both are UDT compatible and both are 'approved', meet Kubota specs.

If I had a hydrostat (which I don't), I'd be using Kubota UDT or SUDT fluid.