Are Our Tractors Titled?

RLinNH

Equipment
B2650,LA534,BH77
Mar 10, 2018
NH
When you pay off a tractor, is a title or some other proof of ownership supposed to arrive?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Tractors are not titled. You might get a paid notice from your loan company.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
It might depend on countries, states, or provinces?

When I bought mine, well used. There was no title. I was told the original dealer should have filed it with the ministry. The original owner never used it on the road (I find that hard to believe for a landscaping company)

Because I was going to be on the road occasionally, it needed to be registered, plated, and insured. I had to jump through hoops between the ministry and RCMP to get the proper paperwork up to date.

Presently it has another year on a lease to own, so technically the ownership is in their name but the plates are in mine. Once it's paid off, the ownership will be updated in my name.

Hope this helps, or maybe just adds to the confusion! Lol

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
No title document in BC. Reciept/invoice/bill of sale will suffice.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
I got a registration document with mine that included all the serials for the tractor and the implements I bought, I purchased in Ontario, but I think that is the loan registration. As long as there is a loan/lease on it, it is registered with a lean against it on a registry, at least in Canada. In some provinces when you plate it the SN is entered into the provincial database and it is “registered”.

When buying used it is always good to do a title search to see if someone registered it or has an outstanding loan against it. My uncle got suckered over a quad he bought used that some guy owed money on. It had been sold 3 times from the original owner, who had stopped making payments, they came and seized it from my uncle and he lost his cash. So I always try to get a clear title or at least get a check done.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
OP is in the US, NH. I've no clue about NH but in OR no title. You can drive on roads but you're supposed to have triangles. Ideally flag vehicles for wide rigs but I rarely see them. I've actually seen combines on the freeway! Dyed fuel is OK too.

RLinNH

Equipment
B2650,LA534,BH77
Mar 10, 2018
NH
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I am in NH. I already have plated for my tractor (I registered it as Construction Equipment). Was just wondering if I should have received a title after I paid her off.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
It might depend on countries, states, or provinces?
Yup. Plates and vehicle insurance are not required (or even possible) here in Ontario for a "self-propelled implement of husbandry".

I have a rider on my home-owner's policy for the tractor though. Just in case.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
In NH there is NO Title on tractors. Why didn’t you put a Tractor plate on it? They are cheap and Construction Equipment plates are for construction equipment.

RLinNH

Equipment
B2650,LA534,BH77
Mar 10, 2018
NH
In NH there is NO Title on tractors. Why didn’t you put a Tractor plate on it? They are cheap and Construction Equipment plates are for construction equipment.
Because that's what my Town Hall gave me after me jumping through hoops to get a plate for her. For $20.00 a year, I'll take it.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Yeah, no title.

The most that might be done on a real expensive machine that is used as collateral for a loan is a UCC-1 filing of the lien.
A tractor is not considered a 'motor vehicle' like a motorcycle, side X side, car or truck. Odd though, it it does have to meet emission regulations.
Also, the year you bought is also often the year of the machine, even if built two years prior.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
No title and no plates in Illinois, but as soon as one of our State reps read this thread and figure they can make some money to give to one of their cronies, we will get them here. :mad: