LED tail/turn lights L3700SU or L3800

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
That happens to all of us. Sometimes you work so hard on a project you miss the obvious, or at least that's what happens to me. Glad it all worked out. You will like the LED's.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Electrical and electronics tend to throw everyone a curve.;)
I've been doing a lot of work with LED's and electronics for years.

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
Your dealer needs to take some electrical classes. Unless there's some magical way the flasher can transform the 12V from the battery into something of a much greater magnitude, there is no way it can hurt the LED lamp. The LED lamps typically operate within a range of 10-30V. As a side note, unlike incandescents LED's dont give one hoot about how many times they are turned off and on.

The current that passes through an LED lamp is determined by the lamp itself and voltage applied to it. If you remove a large incandescent (possibly a headlight) that draws 5 amps and replace it with an LED that is advertised as drawing 590mA, the LED will draw 590mA. What the lamp that was previously there drew means nothing with respect to the current the LED draws. According to his theory, it would mean that if you unplugged a toaster that draws 8 amps and plugged in a night light that draws 0.5A (500mA) the night light would blow up.

Resistors are sometimes added to flasher circuits where LED's replaced incan's because the low current draw of the LED's isn't high enough to make SOME flashers operate. The resistors are put in parallel with the lamp to increase current in the circuit and convince the flasher that there's enough load to operate. EDIT TO ADD: Note that I said the current is increased in the CIRCUIT and not the lamp. In a perfect situation, if the flasher needs to see 1A to function, the resistor would be sized to pass 410mA if the lamp passed 590mA. At 12V that would be roughly a 30 ohm resistor.

Please don't be taking any electrical advice from that guy.
This is true, when I was working with traffic signals we change out all the old incandescent bulbs withe LED's. Times the signal would go into flash, the LED didn't have enough load and the conflict monitor would see it as a turn or several lamps out. We added a few resistors ,problem gone..Then later the firmware was updated and all was good.