B1700: starting problem

tbronson

Equipment
B1700 HSD w/ LA302 FEL, B48CA rototiller
Jul 1, 2016
Ontario
B1700 at this point mainly won't start. Looking for possible/likely causes.

Problem seems to have slowly gotten worse over at least a couple of years. In order:

1. After pre-warming, would often/usually take several key turns to start. Far as I can remember, starter would click but not turn over.

2. Last year, had dynamo rebuilt. Don't remember what final symptoms were, but afterwards, back to 1.

3.Couple months ago, indicator lights on dash would sometimes not light up. Trying key a few times, and some sort of jiggling - resetting to neutral, reengaging clutch - seemed to help, and would eventually start.

4. Couple weeks ago, as in 3, but also, starter would click and sometimes a quick clanking/grinding, as if engaged but not turning over. Had starter rebuilt, started first try for a few days, then sometimes took a few tries like before, with starter click each time.

5.Few days ago, all old problems back: on key turn, sometimes no power even for pre-heat (no indicator lights) , sometimes starter click but no turnover. Replaced battery (tested, they said old battery was "marginal"). This didn't help, and over last couple days, the number of key tries, with jiggling, reclutch, etc increased to where, yesterday, I gave up.

Checked wiring around starter, which I had replaced. Seems fine, secure connections, no breaks.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:

tbronson

Equipment
B1700 HSD w/ LA302 FEL, B48CA rototiller
Jul 1, 2016
Ontario
Could be as simple as a bad battery connection or corrosion. Could be just a bad key switch.
Still no luck, rare starting. If I could get more complete idea of which components could be causing this, I could maybe check before calling for on-site service or having it floated away, both of which will start costing a fortune. I've read threads about similar symptoms with mentioning solenoid, relay,...

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Have you cleaned the connection where the battery ground cable is attached to the frame? If not, take it loose, polish the frame and cable with sand paper etc and bolt it back on. A bad ground will cause a lot of problems including everything you mention.