Tractor Winch

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I went to the website.. Igland 2001 Skidding Winch... and yes 3K is pricey when you understand it's ONLY a 2,000# winch ( in a fancy shell).
I can make one for a lot less, at most maybe $500. Buy a reasonable winch and remote. Make a 3pt 'shell',add 2 batteries,islolator and Andserson connectors.
The 'logging winch' does have feet to dig into the ground,so Mother Earth is holding you, not the tractor brakes.
If there was enough of a market for them, I'd make them..only take 1-2 days.

Ryansweatt2004

Equipment
2017 kubota L3901HST
Jul 2, 2015
West gardiner maine, USA
I’ve looked for a good logging winch for the past few years. New ones were always too expensive to justify for the little bit of recreational logging I do for myself and every time I found a good used winch on Craigslist they would sell faster than I could message the owner it seemed. I ran into this same issue a few days back when I stumbled across an old Norse 3081 logging winch for $1000 listed a little over an hour away from me. I managed to get it for $950 and aside from some surface rust it’s in really nice shape. If your really looking you’ll find them but boy they sure do sell quick.

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
Hi, All. Blister here. Sorry, I wasn't real clear with my question regarding winches.
My need is to have a winch I can use to help snow-stranded vehicles this winter.
I'm really looking for how to attach one to a Kubuota B2601.

That log skidding winch uses the 3 point for attachment. An after market quick attach 2" receiver supporting a detachable plate/winch combo will also work.

How would one go about attaching to the FRONT of the tractor? Special mounts and welding needed?

Thanks!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Is that 2601 going to be heavy enough to stay put to winch out a vehicle? Maybe smaller cars but a truck or suv??? I’m not trying to start a big tractor war but I’m going back to my days living up north and using my super duty to snatch cars out, I don’t think my L would even have enough weight to stay planted to pull on something.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Hi, All. Blister here. Sorry, I wasn't real clear with my question regarding winches.
My need is to have a winch I can use to help snow-stranded vehicles this winter.
I'm really looking for how to attach one to a Kubuota B2601.

That log skidding winch uses the 3 point for attachment. An after market quick attach 2" receiver supporting a detachable plate/winch combo will also work.

How would one go about attaching to the FRONT of the tractor? Special mounts and welding needed?

Thanks!
This is what I got for my BX
http://fabworksoem.net/kubota_kubota_bx.php
With the wireless remote, I can be sitting in the seat of the tractor, applying a little power to the wheels and running the winch at the same time (spreading the load) to unstick it. I could do the same thing in a vehicle (run the winch and operate the vehicle carefully).
Keep in mind if 'highsided', you have to really grad it out and as FordTech states, you need a lot of stable mass of the puller to make it work. Several times, I was midly stuck in a snow bank on ice down hill and I was able to easily pull out with my PU. Another time I was BH a silt pond (I knew I'd get stuck at some point, my reason for having the winch) and used it along with applying a little power to the tractor wheels to scoot out. But if you high side, you have to pretty much get the belly off of the ground or use a big weighty machine to anchor/pull you. I've not yet highsided and used the winch to a tree to get me free.

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
This is what I got for my BX
http://fabworksoem.net/kubota_kubota_bx.php
With the wireless remote, I can be sitting in the seat of the tractor, applying a little power to the wheels and running the winch at the same time (spreading the load) to unstick it. I could do the same thing in a vehicle (run the winch and operate the vehicle carefully).
Keep in mind if 'highsided', you have to really grad it out and as FordTech states, you need a lot of stable mass of the puller to make it work. Several times, I was midly stuck in a snow bank on ice down hill and I was able to easily pull out with my PU. Another time I was BH a silt pond (I knew I'd get stuck at some point, my reason for having the winch) and used it along with applying a little power to the tractor wheels to scoot out. But if you high side, you have to pretty much get the belly off of the ground or use a big weighty machine to anchor/pull you. I've not yet highsided and used the winch to a tree to get me free.
Using the winch to pull his tractor out that’s on said tractor is one thing. I’m picturing him parking the tractor on a road and trying to winch a vehicle out of a ditch. Base weight of the 2601 is around 1600 pounds, don’t know what the loader weighs or any other weight is added but give it another 1000 pounds and still only 2600. Me and my buddy would ride around in snow storm and make good money pulling people out, but there was also times that even a 6500 pound truck wouldn’t be enough weight. We were using either tow straps to just pull or a 12k winch to pull. Just giving my 2 cents to keep op safe and his machine safe. I solved them snow problems and moved far away lol.:D

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Using the winch to pull his tractor out that’s on said tractor is one thing. I’m picturing him parking the tractor on a road and trying to winch a vehicle out of a ditch. Base weight of the 2601 is around 1600 pounds, don’t know what the loader weighs or any other weight is added but give it another 1000 pounds and still only 2600. Me and my buddy would ride around in snow storm and make good money pulling people out, but there was also times that even a 6500 pound truck wouldn’t be enough weight. We were using either tow straps to just pull or a 12k winch to pull. Just giving my 2 cents to keep op safe and his machine safe. I solved them snow problems and moved far away lol.:D
Yup, on all counts. But you give it a try, if things slide, you either try and anchor and uses a few pulley blocks to multiply or you get a 'bigger hammer' and get a larger machine in. As Clint said "A man has to know his limitations'. ;)

So... how often did you 'ice the spot' and wait for a person to get stuck...:cool:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Yup, on all counts. But you give it a try, if things slide, you either try and anchor and uses a few pulley blocks to multiply or you get a 'bigger hammer' and get a larger machine in. As Clint said "A man has to know his limitations'. ;)

So... how often did you 'ice the spot' and wait for a person to get stuck...:cool:
Well? Lol. Might have been a different definition of ice. But the drinks were always cold ;). Good times living in very rural America! A truck bed full of snow makes a pretty good ice chest.

zoombats

Equipment
B8200, BX23S
Feb 2, 2019
penetanguishene ontario Canada
Norwood in Canada makes a really slick log skidding winch that is hydraulic. It is built onto a three point hitch frame with chain hooks and drop down spuds that dig in and resist the pull. The hydraulic capstan takes a few wraps of 5/8" nylon rope and with just a pull of the hand you can retrieve or slack off if binding. I was going to by one but already had a superwinch installed on a 2" trailer setup like the others did. It is a nice unit and can be had for around $1,300.00 Canadian pesos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mxzWuvIzeE

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
I have one of Norwood 2K sawmills and if the skid-winch is half as tough, it'll outlive all of us....!!!
Luckily I can bodge anything lke that so I can save 1300 Canucks !:)

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
Norwood in Canada makes a really slick log skidding winch that is hydraulic. It is built onto a three point hitch frame with chain hooks and drop down spuds that dig in and resist the pull. The hydraulic capstan takes a few wraps of 5/8" nylon rope and with just a pull of the hand you can retrieve or slack off if binding. I was going to by one but already had a superwinch installed on a 2" trailer setup like the others did. It is a nice unit and can be had for around $1,300.00 Canadian pesos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mxzWuvIzeE
Who sells these? I really want one!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
The link worked for me....got a skidwinch into 'my cart'.... $ are Canucks...

Now they may have a USA site, maybe use Google ' norwood USA' ?

Jay

zoombats

Equipment
B8200, BX23S
Feb 2, 2019
penetanguishene ontario Canada
Yeah, my apologies on the $1,300 Canadian. The price is $1,400 +. I was looking at one at my dealer in Barrie ontario and the lower price was a limited offer. They do show a US dealership in Tonowanda ,New York.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Going back almost 60 years when I thought I knew everything. there was a farm down the road where I wasted a lot of my youth. Anyway the old boy, or his boys, use to cut trees in the spring, and drag them out to dry. I dont know what tractor he had but it was big old and the color of rust. No hydraulics on it that I know of and they skidded everything out of the woods on the draw bar. He had taken a car hood cut a hole in the front ran the chain through it and then to the log. when he moved the log moved forward in to the back of the hood until it hit the front, at which time the hood would begin to move over the ground. This stopped the end of the log from digging in hitting rocks ditches and stuff, slid over other logs laying in the way. It aint what you had in mind I know but still something to think about

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
After lots of thought, I decided to purchase a Portable Winch PCW5000 instead. I often work with multiple people doing different jobs while cutting. For example, this past weekend I was with Four other guys who were cutting logs and moving them to a trail. Once the logs were on the trail, i used my grapple to move the logs out of the woods and loaded them onto large trailers for the trip home.

If I had the Norwood winch, it would have tied the tractor up and limited how much work we could split up between the various people we had. It would have also required me to remove the backhoe from the tractor which is both the perfect counterweight and my secret weapon for getting out of bad situations. Since the logs were so heavy, I would have had to put the backhoe or something else back on the tractor to load the trailers which would have taken more time.

The PCW5000 is available for sale both with and without a "forestry kit" which includes rope, straps, rigging, etc. Since I already have most of that except the rope, I purchased the bare winch from Amazon and a 300ft rope.

Here's a stock picture form the retail website that shows the winch:

Here are a few videos that I found:

https://youtu.be/3_QQNAW9Zdk

https://youtu.be/6Ysvy02VZOk

Last edited: