Tractor Winch

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
I just finished watching GP Outdoors #193.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4suIgn-QZ4

Cliff has attached an Igland 2001 Skidding Winch to his B2601 and it would be great to have something like that this winter. We're on a fire road which nobody maintains except the residents, and we're spotty about it at best; lots of need for a good winch now and again.

$3000.00+ is not viable, however.

Anyone have experience with alternatives to this high-priced specialty machine that could give me some pulling ability when the snow flies?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You could purchase a 3 point hitch with the 2" receiver then add a mount that you can purchase for the winch that goes into the receiver. Perhaps a wireless remote operated winch and you would be all set for way less then $3000.00. Plus the winch could be used on your trailer or truck for other projects.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
There was a long discussion about skidding winches here a few months ago. A few people have built their own

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
BigG has the right approach ! You can buy winch, Anderson connectors,winch mount and maybe, maybe spend $200. I've bought winches for less than 100 Canucks and made my own 2" receivers( fun to make) though at $10 WHY I do is beyond me...
The wireless keyfob is a good idea just don't drop it into the snow !!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
BigG has the right approach ! You can buy winch, Anderson connectors,winch mount and maybe, maybe spend $200. I've bought winches for less than 100 Canucks and made my own 2" receivers( fun to make) though at $10 WHY I do is beyond me...
The wireless keyfob is a good idea just don't drop it into the snow !!
Been there, did that (remote in the snow). they don't work too well afterwards.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
You could purchase a 3 point hitch with the 2" receiver then add a mount that you can purchase for the winch that goes into the receiver. Perhaps a wireless remote operated winch and you would be all set for way less then $3000.00. Plus the winch could be used on your trailer or truck for other projects.
This is what I did. I ponied up for a WARN Utility as it was compatible with a nice remote that has a (supposed) 90' range. Anderson connectors on the tractor (on the front, that is where me receiver is, BH on the back). Put Andersons on the back of the pickup as well.
Mostly, I'll loop a rope around a tree up high, feed that to a block and then park the tractor off safely to the side. I'll apply some tension with the winch, start my cut, apply some more then when the tree is ready, reel it in and drop it just as if I knew what I was doing.
https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=222522&postcount=16

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
This is what I did. I ponied up for a WARN Utility as it was compatible with a nice remote that has a (supposed) 90' range. Anderson connectors on the tractor (on the front, that is where me receiver is, BH on the back). Put Andersons on the back of the pickup as well.
Mostly, I'll loop a rope around a tree up high, feed that to a block and then park the tractor off safely to the side. I'll apply some tension with the winch, start my cut, apply some more then when the tree is ready, reel it in and drop it just as if I knew what I was doing.
Beautiful. This is exactly it! and I can swap it into the 2" receiver on the front of my snowplow truck, a '93 Ford F250 when necessary, too. Thanks! :D

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I did almost the exact same set up. I also mounted a receiver hitch on the front of my crew cab pick up so that I can winch from the front or back...or get unstuck!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
I always found it funny the 'weekend offroad' groups put big A$$ winches up front of their pristeen rides. You want to go back from being buried NOT pull yourself further in !! Up front winches are for pulling the lead guy BACK to safer soil.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
The only issue you might run into with an electric winch on the smaller Kubotas, is the charging system keeping up with the electrical draw. If you use it intermittently then you will be fine. Most of the tractors in the smaller size have dynamos or small alternators which might struggle to keep up with a large draw of power.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
The only issue you might run into with an electric winch on the smaller Kubotas, is the charging system keeping up with the electrical draw. If you use it intermittently then you will be fine. Most of the tractors in the smaller size have dynamos or small alternators which might struggle to keep up with a large draw of power.
This is definitely something you want to keep in mind.

Run the tractor while winching. No, the draw will not over load the dynamo/alternator. Your electrical power generation will only make what it is capable of, replenishing your battery slowly. Running the tractor also ensures that when you are done, a weak battery will not leave you stuck.

A winch draw is proportional to the weight/load. Most of the time, the load is not huge. Meaning a winch that could draw 400 amps at stall probably only uses 100 in most cases. A 40 amp alternator will take approximately three (more, depending on the health of the battery) times as long to replenish the battery. So two minutes winching means having the tractor run at least six minutes (assuming all is healthy) to get recharged.

Winching is like engine cranking. You do not want to do it continuously. I've winched to where the winch motor was too hot to touch. That was the result of multiple winching bursts spread out over a hour. So when working the winch, place your hand on it from time to time, see how hot it has gotten. Grab the wires. The wires and plugs should all be cool. If the wires are hot. Stop! Hot wires or connections mean all the electricity is not getting to the winch.

If you have to pull a heavy weight, use multiple pulley blocks to double (or triple) the line used but half (or third) the effort.

Remember, electric recovery winches are for intermittent use. A skid winch is for constant running.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
If actually using a winch, consider adding a 2nd battery,battery isolator and contactor( similar to what real snowplow guys do). That way you'll always have the AMPS you need.
or...
go 'old school', install a PTO driven winch..it'll never drain your battery !

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I understand your concern about the electrical system on the small tractors. I have found it easier to use a 2nd battery, deep cycle, to supply the power for the winch rather then risk the damage to the tractor plus it allows me to move the winch form place to place.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
There is so much difference between a logging winch, or even a pto driven recovery winch, and ANY electric motor driven winching device, I can't even imagine discussing them in the same thread.

electric toys, unless you pony up the $$$ which is why the cheap option was introduced. Let the smoke out, and then toss 'em in the trash.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I've got a 45 year old WARN electric winch, still runs and pulls great with only minor mtce( new brushes and aproper cleaning). Was mad in USA NOT China...
I gather from the OP it'd be used mainly in Winter to get people unstuck from ditches so really any GOOD quality winch could work.. frozen ground, snow/ice, help from the towed vehicle(probably 4WD 4dr PU...) doesn't need a bulldozer and 25T winch... if it does, well, you got some serious problems !

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
SNIP

I gather from the OP it'd be used mainly in Winter to get people unstuck from ditches so really any GOOD quality winch could work.. frozen ground, snow/ice, help from the towed vehicle(probably 4WD 4dr PU...) doesn't need a bulldozer and 25T winch... if it does, well, you got some serious problems !
Funny, I just reread the original post, and viewed the reference video.
I didn't read a word about anything but keeping woods trails cleared (presumably of wind falls) Of course the video is ONLY logging.

I'm not sure how "stuck vehicles" is attributed to the OP.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
...Anyone have experience with alternatives to this high-priced specialty machine that could give me some pulling ability when the snow flies?

seems to say he needs to get unstuck in Winter...

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I always found it funny the 'weekend offroad' groups put big A$$ winches up front of their pristeen rides. You want to go back from being buried NOT pull yourself further in !! Up front winches are for pulling the lead guy BACK to safer soil.
When I have been using my BH, the motion has sometimes caused the tractor to 'settle' in the mud (I excavated a silt pond with it) so I needed the winch on the front to pull me 'out'. If I got stuck and had to back out, I'd either bring the PU over with the winch on it or I'd suck it up and call a neighbor to save me. If the BH was not on, I do have a BXExpanded 2" receiver to pin on the back. Never used it though.

I know a few extreme Jeep guys and they will winch themselves up a rock face. Crazy stuff.

The people I know that log use much larger machines than my little BX. Most use large excavators or tracked skid steers. Mostly hardwoods to make beams or table tops, so they tend to be pretty gentle on the logs.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
wow dats pricey stuff.

i run a 4500lb gear reduction winch w/synth rope on the front of my ck4010... its pulled me up the hill several dozen times already in the past 18months...

when it rains 4wd still doesnt get up my trails, only way if you are down over the hill is to winch your way up 50' at a time.

my tractor weighs about 3800lbs with the loaded tires, so this winch works fine for me.

& it was only $179.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIPER-Midn...th-50-feet-BLACK-Synthetic-Rope/391947415181?