L245H 3 Point Hitch quit working

Jarhead2147

Equipment
L245H
Aug 19, 2019
Lindale, TX
I'm new to this forum. I have a hydraulic problem with the 3 point hitch. It won't operate at all. I have done the following...

1) cleaned the strainer
2) changed the hydraulic oil
3) replaced every spring and O-Ring in the control valve, hydraulic cylinder, and lift arm.
4) used compressed air to blow out both the supply and pressure lines going to and from the pump

I have pressure to lift/ operate the front hydraulics (FEL)
I do not have power steering or a front loader attachment

The relief valve is discontinued and I can't get any O-Rings or shims for it.

A little background, it all started when the pressure line and supply line to the pump were removed to gain access to the engine block.

Once reattached the 3 point hitch operated for about 4 hours then quit in the down position and would not lift.

Once the rock shaft housing was removed, rebuilt with new O-Rings and springs. The 3 point lifted once, held the load. When lowered, it would not relift the load.

I am at a loss for an explanation and would greatly appreciate any assistance you may provide.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you swapped the two line connections. ;)

Jarhead2147

Equipment
L245H
Aug 19, 2019
Lindale, TX
Not sure that is possible. Unfortunately, I am too new, to this forum, to post pics or I would. Which lines are you referring to? The supply and pressure lines, to and from the pump? If so, they can not be swapped on this tractor. They will only fit one way. The supply line to the pump is routed to the top and the pressure line, which is solid, attaches to the bottom of the pump and can not reach the top of the pump.

After the lines were replaced and oil added to proper level, the tractor operated correctly for 4-6 hours then stopped.

I have read most, if not all, threads on this forum regarding this issue and have done the following...

1) Drained and changed the hydraulic fluid, actually 80/90 wt oil
2) Removed and cleaned the hydraulic screen.
3) Removed the supply line from both the pump and the housing sump and used compressed air to blow it out.
4) Did the above process to the pressure line also.
5) Removed the relief valve, cleaned and inspected it for scratches. (This part is discontinued as are the internal components) Then reassembled it.
6) Removed the entire upper rock arm housing, cleaned, inspected and replaced all the O-Rings, Backing Rings, and springs in the control valve, the shaft O-Rings and the piston O-Ring and backing seal. Then reassembled.

Once everything was reinstalled, the lift arms came up and held a load. Once they were lowered, they failed to lift again.

This tractor has a hydraulic lift cylinder that raises and lowers the front sweeps. This cylinder has sufficient pressure to lift the arms with me standing on them. (I weigh over 200 lbs.)

I don't think it is the pump as I have plenty of pressure to operate the front hydraulics.

The relief valve is a discontinued part as are all of its internal components. I disassembled, cleaned and inspected it. No glaring defects that I can see with my old, tired eyes.

I read in a previous post that bypassing the front hydraulic cylinder would aid in trouble shooting. I disconnected the lines and looped one of the lines back, thus bypassing the front cylinder. The 3 point hitch still did not function.

I have adjusted the knob below the seat to both extremes and counted the turns to ensure the "middle" position. The 3 point hitch doesn't work in any position.

I did remove and clean the breather tube. No joy with the 3 point hitch.

Any suggestion or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have pressure to lift/ operate the front hydraulics (FEL)
I do not have power steering or a front loader attachment
I'm confused?
Do you or do you not have FEL (Front End Loader)?

And since you removed the lines off the pump, did you put new seals on the lines?

Jarhead2147

Equipment
L245H
Aug 19, 2019
Lindale, TX
My apologies for the (FEL) being in the post, I do not have a front loader. I do have sweeps that are hydraulically controlled and they are in "front" of the operator.

As to the question of "seals", yes, both lines have new O-Rings installed.

Jarhead2147

Equipment
L245H
Aug 19, 2019
Lindale, TX
On the left side of the operators seat, there is a vertical lever that is mounted just to the right of the relief valve. This lever, when pushed forward, lowers the sweeps, when pulled to the rear, raises the sweeps. Just a two way hydraulic valve.

Last edited:

Jarhead2147

Equipment
L245H
Aug 19, 2019
Lindale, TX
I will see if I can post pics now.

This is what I am working on.

This is the pump. As you can see the lines can not be switched/crossed.

This is the cylinder that operates the front sweeps. It works as designed and has enough pressure to lift me standing on the sweeps.

This is the lever that controls the front sweeps.

These are the hoses supply hydraulic fluid to the front sweep cylinder. I did remove them and looped one back to bypass the front sweep cylinder.

And finally, this is the control knob that I have tried adjusting to both extremes and in the middle.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information.

Semper Fi

Last edited:

Jarhead2147

Equipment
L245H
Aug 19, 2019
Lindale, TX
In the photo below, I removed the plug and installed a 3000 psi gauge. I did not get any reading. I removed the gauge and with the tractor running at an idle, then at a higher rpm, oil flowed out but it did not have any pressure.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is a case where pictures are worth a thousand words.

When I said the lines might be crossed, I was working with the assumption that you had a FEL valve.

Your tractor has an extremely rare factory remote valve, not a normal sight to see.
You could of tried to explain that all day long and I would have never guessed that.

Everything was working before you pulled the lines at the pump, so I'll go with the assumption that that's where your problem lies.

Double check the suction line (larger line to the pump) especially at the rubber hose portion, as an air leak with cause the whole system to act odd, and it might be worth it to pull the rubber hose off and inspect the inside as a failed interior of the hose can clog suction.

Have you removed the sweep valve and inspected those ports?

You sure that no work was done to the rear three point area, as a mall adjusted feed back lever can cause the issues that you're experiencing too.
How does the three point lever feel, does it feel like it's moving normally?

Last edited:

Jarhead2147

Equipment
L245H
Aug 19, 2019
Lindale, TX

Update: I tested the pressure coming out of the pump by removing the flange (red arrow) and bolting a plate with a 3000 psi gauge attached to it. I got a reading of approximately 2100 psi. I shut it down quickly so the pump wouldn't be deadheaded too long. I think this eliminates the pump being the problem. That leaves the relief valve or control valve or something in the passages between each valve.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Jarhead2147

Equipment
L245H
Aug 19, 2019
Lindale, TX
This is a case where pictures are worth a thousand words.

When I said the lines might be crossed, I was working with the assumption that you had a FEL valve.

Your tractor has an extremely rare factory remote valve, not a normal sight to see.
You could of tried to explain that all day long and I would have never guessed that.

Everything was working before you pulled the lines at the pump, so I'll go with the assumption that that's where your problem lies.

Double check the suction line (larger line to the pump) especially at the rubber hose portion, as an air leak with cause the whole system to act odd, and it might be worth it to pull the rubber hose off and inspect the inside as a failed interior of the hose can clog suction.

Have you removed the sweep valve and inspected those ports?

You sure that no work was done to the rear three point area, as a mall adjusted feed back lever can cause the issues that you're experiencing too.
How does the three point lever feel, does it feel like it's moving normally?
The hose is new, I replaced it when the lines were removed.

Sweep valve? Pardon my ignorance as I am not familiar with what that is? I double checked the parts diagram and could not locate it via the diagrams. The only valves I am familiar with are, relief and control. Both of which have been completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected and reassembled with new O-Rings and springs. (Control valve was, not the relief valve as parts are discontinued for it)

The feed back lever had not been adjusted or even touched prior to the problem. Since I completely disassembled and replaced all the O-Rings, it has been adjusted now. I am fairly certain it is adjusted correctly; however, the manual is vague on this adjustment. Would you happen to have a procedure you would share with me on the proper adjustment?

The 3-point control lever feels fine, nothing binding.

I appreciate you time and patience. Thank you.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The two flexible hydraulic hoses are connected to a (optional) Remote Valve to control the sweeps, that valve is very rare.

The control for the three point is a completely separate vale that would require you to remove the three point cylinder housing to get to it.

The three point valve and the relief valve very rarely just go out.

Have you checked the linkage on the three point lever to make sure it's actually activating the valve.

Another reason it's very unlikely that the relief valve is an issue is you state the sweeps operate, that valve is in the same loop of fluid as the three point valve and the relief valve.

Jarhead2147

Equipment
L245H
Aug 19, 2019
Lindale, TX
Have you checked the linkage on the three point lever to make sure it's actually activating the valve.
I have checked the linkage but, as stated previously, I don't have a very detailed procedure for the adjustment. Would you happen to know where I could get a more comprehensive description of how to properly adjust the linkage?

Jarhead2147

Equipment
L245H
Aug 19, 2019
Lindale, TX
Update:

Took the rock arm assembly back off. removed the shaft that raises the lift arms. Rotated it two spline positions. Disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the control valve, reinstalled everything and it now works.

Jarhead2147

Equipment
L245H
Aug 19, 2019
Lindale, TX
So, after all of the effort put in, the 3 point hitch stopped working again. Now the pump sounds strange and there is a weird vibration. I am tired of all the problems and know that I probably shouldn't, but I am buying a new hydraulic pump as that is the only component other than the relief valve that hasn't been rebuilt or messed with.

Any thoughts?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you rotated the rock shaft (didn't even know that was possible on that model) and didn't adjust the feed back lever there is more than likely your problem with the pump, as it is putting the pump under a load as it's not allowing the valve to go to neutral.

If that doesn't give you any difference, Pull the pump and check the drive of the pump, but it more than likely won't be the issue.

It sounds more like you have a suction problem to the pump and it cavitating.

Jarhead2147

Equipment
L245H
Aug 19, 2019
Lindale, TX
If you rotated the rock shaft (didn't even know that was possible on that model) and didn't adjust the feed back lever there is more than likely your problem with the pump, as it is putting the pump under a load as it's not allowing the valve to go to neutral.

If that doesn't give you any difference, Pull the pump and check the drive of the pump, but it more than likely won't be the issue.

It sounds more like you have a suction problem to the pump and it cavitating.
Thanks for the advice. Don't know what I did but it has worked for quite a while now. That is until I rebuilt the engine. Now it is doing it again and worse. The only filter is a screen, it is clean. It has new oil and filled to correct level. You don't know what size adapter is need for the pressure test port do you?"