New BH77 question

wajdac

Equipment
B2650 w/loader and BH77 backhoe
Jul 22, 2019
Sand Lake, NY
I'm a newbie new B2650 owner with a BH77 backhoe. Only 5 hours so far.

Trying to get the hang of smooth backhoe digging - raising the boom while pulling back the dipper to keep the bucket moving kind of level with the ground.

What I am finding is - when I move both levers all the way forward or back (fast movement), only one of the boom or the dipper moves, but not both at the same time. Only if I move them both slowly then I can get them to move at the same time.

I tried running at around 2000-2100rpm and also tried the B2650 max 2500rpm (even though the manual says not to run at full speed for the break in). Same result.

So I'm just wondering if that is normal or not.

Sodark

Equipment
2018 B2650 HST ROPS, BH77 Backhoe
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
I'm only at ~60 hours or so, I've never ran it over 2k rpm per mfg recommendation, but yes, I've experienced the same thing. Not an issue for me as I've not yet encountered a situation where I needed speed over accuracy. The flow rate for B2650 isn't that high, I'm sure it's normal.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Same here too with the bh77 on a L series. I would agree it***8217;s normal, it***8217;s not a dedicated tlb machine or a mini x.

Last edited:

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
New owner here as well. Have 70 hours on my new toy, and have more than half the time on the BH77. I feel I have become fairly competent in running the backhoe, and compared to my neighbors Harbor Freight Trencher, I am able to use more than one function at a time. Not possible on my neighbors equipment. I try to feather the controls, however, there are times that it works better to only use one function. I have run the throttle wide open, but find the controls on the backhoe to jerky at that speed and now run at 1800-2000 rpm to get a smoother feel. I agree that it is not the same as a dedicated piece of equipment like a TLB or excavator, but it sure beats a shovel. Just keep digging, you will get better at it with a few more hours.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
I've used my BH77 a ton....getting it figured out better and better each time.
I run it at full throttle, the power (pressure) is at it's top for me to get done things that way.
Dual function works for everything on mine except the right/left pivot and bucket curl/extension if I recall...
It is a bit jerky with the power at full, but I'm getting a lot better at it than 150 hours ago!
You Tube has some good videos on operating a BH.....I did the pull/keeping the bucket level to the ground thing for about 2 hours....great practice.

Attachments

wajdac

Equipment
Jul 22, 2019
Sand Lake, NY
Thanks for all the input - all makes sense.
Now I think I just have to put some grease on the linkage for the left lever, since it doesn't return to the "neutral" position by itself. I saw a post about that also showing the BH77 control linkages that needed tightening.

tcalvin48

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, BH77 16" bucket,thumb, WG24, BB2560, WC68, RCR1860
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
Hello,
I***8217;m brand new to this forum. I only have 20 hours on my B2650 and have trouble with the backhoe pulling the tractor toward it. I have the FEL down and turned to dig into the ground, brakes on, and stabilizers down and lifting a bit. I***8217;m trying to dig out stumps (which is why I***8217;ve ordered the WG24) but BH is stronger than the tractor is heavy***8230; or so it seems. Am I doing something wrong?

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Hello,
I***8217;m brand new to this forum. I only have 20 hours on my B2650 and have trouble with the backhoe pulling the tractor toward it. I have the FEL down and turned to dig into the ground, brakes on, and stabilizers down and lifting a bit. I***8217;m trying to dig out stumps (which is why I***8217;ve ordered the WG24) but BH is stronger than the tractor is heavy***8230; or so it seems. Am I doing something wrong?
My first impression would be that what you are doing wrong is using your backhoe to dig out stumps when your bio says you have a stump grinder :D

Seriously though, that BH77 is definitely strong enough to drag the tractor around if the stump is stubborn enough to not budge.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Hello,
Nope. The BH77 easily overpowers the weight of the B2650 tractor...especially the bucket cylinder. Try taking a smaller bite and reducing the rpms a bit. That's about all you can do.

The same hoe is used on the smaller L series as well, but they weigh another 1K more than the B. I really haven't heard many similar complaints about the BH77 throwing the L series around. That extra 1K in weight may be making the difference needed to keep the rear end of the tractor planted.

Reactions: 1 user

Isinglass

Jul 23, 2019
NH
Search YouTube for “Dave Knows How” videos. He has a ton of great content on operating a BH among many other tractor topics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wajdac

Equipment
Jul 22, 2019
Sand Lake, NY
I opened the panel to the BH77 control linkages to try to fix the left lever that wouldn't go back to the center position by itself when I let go. I found that the bearings were rotated too far. After I rotated them back, the lever moved much smoother and returned to center nicely. The only problem now is that the small horizontal rod tends to stick when sliding through the bearing. The dealer said they will come check it out.

Also, I found that the mesh sleeve that fits around the hydraulic hoses where they feed through the bottom of the backhoe was all bunched up toward the boom. I had to work it little by little to pull it through the hole toward the tractor direction.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
I'm a newbie new B2650 owner with a BH77 backhoe. Only 5 hours so far.

Trying to get the hang of smooth backhoe digging - raising the boom while pulling back the dipper to keep the bucket moving kind of level with the ground.

What I am finding is - when I move both levers all the way forward or back (fast movement), only one of the boom or the dipper moves, but not both at the same time. Only if I move them both slowly then I can get them to move at the same time.

I tried running at around 2000-2100rpm and also tried the B2650 max 2500rpm (even though the manual says not to run at full speed for the break in). Same result.

So I'm just wondering if that is normal or not.
I just ordered my L3901 & BH77 & building a shed for tractor & implements. How much room should I have for the backhoe? Can't find good specs for storage space.