Safety: Never let your guard down

BensBX

Mar 7, 2017
Baltimore, Ohio
I am not seeking sympathy in this post but I feel the need to emphasize safety when using any equipment. Two weeks ago I lost my brother in law in a tip over accident with an older large lawn tractor and trailer. He held a degree in mechanical engineering and if anyone knew the laws of physics and math he excelled. He was 82, great health and has owned a large tree farm for many years where he harvested trees and his hobby was cutting firewood. It was his passion as he certainly did not have to. Anyway, long story short, his older manual transmission lawn tractor popped out of gear with the trailer attached. He was on a hillside cutting logs and had no idea it did. Both the tractor, trailer and contents rolled over the hillside with him underneath. Freak accidents do happen. Any number of rationales can be applied here, I know that......"if he would have or wouldn't have"....but when it's done, it's done. Take every precaution when out working or enjoying and never let your guard down. Thanks.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Sorry for your loss and thanks for the post- can't have enough reminders to be safe out there.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Damn! I'll sure be extra cautious when on any similar scenario. I'm sorry for you and the rest of Bill's family and friends.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Sorry for the loss and thank you for the reminder to keep safety as the first priority.

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
Very sorry for your loss, prayers go out to the entire family in this time of sorrow. Thank you for sharing this, if it saves one member it is well worth it.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
My Condolences, Thank you for the post.
Reminder to all of us, stay aware of your surroundings.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wow. Something he had done for years, and loved doing it.
Earlier today I was posting about navigating steep terrain; said I have done the same steep yard for 30 years without issue given my experience.
Thanks for stating the obvious; bad things can happen even to those experienced guys when things go awry. Sometimes we forget the little things that can cause big problems after many repetitions.....
It reinforces the need to always be conscious of our own safety, with open eyes and mind even though it worked 10 or 1,000 times before.

My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Sorry to hear of his departure. Your message can never be made too often.

Relative of my wife in Portland bought a new logging truck 20 years ago. He parked it the day he got it home and didn't realize it was not parked with the brake set. As he was getting out he realized it was starting to roll. He slipped on the cab ladder and ended up under the wheels like your brother.

"But for the grace of God..."

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ben, sorry to hear about your BIL. It's good for you to post for a reminder to us. We all get complacent.

We do things so many times we become unconsciously competent. That's when we overlook was seems so obvious. We need to be reminded to stay consciously competent. Thanks for the reminder.

lunasdude

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, FEL, quick con pto, box bld, land plane, flail mower
Dec 22, 2018
Los Lunas, NM USA
I am very sorry for your loss.
Thanks for the reminder.

I have only had my small Kubota Bx for a year but have been almost thrown off of it twice.
Seatbelt every time, safety always.

Thank you again.

Lycomech96

Equipment
B2601, loader, backhoe
Nov 12, 2018
Williamsport, PA, USA
A couple decades ago a young local farmer was working with something that required the PTO. Might have been bailing hay. Anyway, he stepped over the running PTO shaft to fix something or clear a jam and his dangling bits got snatched up by rotating parts and ripped them off. :eek:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
A couple decades ago a young local farmer was working with something that required the PTO. Might have been bailing hay. Anyway, he stepped over the running PTO shaft to fix something or clear a jam and his dangling bits got snatched up by rotating parts and ripped them off. :eek:
Dayum, some things you should just keep to yourself. Momma sing bass, Daddy sing tenor.:eek::eek: