Hummers

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
When I am out watering this time of year and they appear, I spray a mist and they fly through a few times and then go lick themselves dry. They are the only desert creatures I know of that like getting sprayed.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
When I am out watering this time of year and they appear, I spray a mist and they fly through a few times and then go lick themselves dry. They are the only desert creatures I know of that like getting sprayed.
We used to spend some time in your area in winter. Love the little Costas hummer you have.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Tiny but, territorial! And fearless!

When I lived at Willy in 1981, we kept a hummingbird feeder on the clothesline frame out back, by the porch. We called it "Cat TV" because our indoor cats would sit on the back porch, right under the feeder for a half hour of more and watch all the comings and goings. The Hummers would buzz the cats for fun.

One day, I went out back and slowly crept up on the feeder. This little guy was getting a drink and I slowly put my finger under him and he landed on me. I sat there while he relaxed and took a long drink. Then, in a chirp, he went airborne face to face with me as if to say, "THANKS!" and BOOM, he was off. I always made sure to buy feeders with perches after that.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Back in a former life I was inspecting an elevator head house and we found a dead hummer on top of a transformer wings spread out to its side and head turned so it looked like it went splat on the transformer. My union rep said he wanted it,I thought he collected birds or something for mounting. He chuckled and said , no, his wife bought a hummingbird feeder that suction cupped to the outside of the window.

SO he took it home and used a piece of scotch tape and attached it to the window beside the feeder. Then called his wife in pointed to the feeder and the bird, and said...See I told you that wasn't a good idea. He said she was horrified, until she saw the tap holding it to the window. He said he was laughing so hard he couldn't even fight back or cover up, he said she used words he has never heard her use before. :D

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Fearless is right.

Mom's got several feeders. I don't have any because the dang bees and wasps LOVE them and I don't need any more of those.

At mom's house, she can walk out to a feeder and just pick a hummingbird right up off the feeder without any problem. They just perch on a finger until she puts it back up to the feeder.

Amazing how they migrate thousands of miles, considering their lack of size.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
The bees show up in the spring and I do wish they would focus on my fruit trees and leave the feeders alone. The wasps have been a problem of late so I set up a trap to keep the numbers down. Also caught a couple of bald faced hornets which get VERY nasty around their nest.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Kinda wish the Hummers around here would stop at the fountain in the yard

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
When my youngest beagle was not much more than a pup the humming birds used to dive at him for some reason and pretty much leave the other 2 alone. Anyway one day I looked out to see Moe with something sticking out of his mouth, turned out the humming bird got just a little too close and as quick as they are this time Moe was quicker.