Technology

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I had seen that before- that is one smart dude. I agree with everything he said, except if he thinks corporate America is going to care about employees and take the time and money to address this problem, he is sadly mistaken. Don't get me wrong, I think corporations need to take this on, I just don't believe they will. The one I retired from had their CEO state that he hated employees and would run the company without them if he could find a way to do so.This company didn't give a crap about some of the finest scientists, engineers, technicians, and factory people on the planet; well adjusted, professional, confident, self motivated people at the pinnacle of their industry, world leaders in their fields. They are certainly not going to nursemaid & handhold a bunch of whiney millennials.
I hope there are progressive companies that will take on this challenge, but if the one I worked for is any example, those kids are doomed. And so are we, as they will be running the show someday.:(

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Bill,

The company I retired from was run by an icon in managment. He used to "kidnap" a few pilots every Friday and take them to a tiny room in the basement of the terminal, with a cold twelve pack and a bottle of Wild Turkey. He'd get a full debrief on what was working in the system and what wasn't. Monday, he'd go into a meeting and be told by upper level management that things were running along just fine. Herb would ask, "I hear we don't have enough baggage carts in Midland?" Management could never figure out how Herb was so on top of things.

Herb and Colleen empowered people to do their best by simply standing behind them. If they goofed up, they still supported them and made it a "learning situation." I read an unruly and unreasonable passenger the riot act after landing in LAX one day. I told him to PLEASE take his business elsewhere and if need be, Herb would back me up in that request. Imagine doing that in most companies today! It wouldn't happen at my company today either. Sad.