Snow blower mods

OC455

Equipment
BX2350 LED ROP, FEL, Belly mower,modified snow blower, pole boom, middle plow
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
20180309_182516.jpg

20180309_182529.jpg

The new replacement part for the worm gear for the chute is a much better improvement over the old one. After having the wire worm gear break at both ends after this past Nor'Easter storm and having to have it "emergency" welded, the plastic bushings got burned and the wire "worm" was out of round. Ordered the new one and it is one solid piece. Works much better and I do not have to worry about anything break on the actual worm gear. That and the new plastic bushings it works a bit smoother.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That looks like an auger out of an old cranked meat grinder,,lol

reamer

Equipment
B2400, BX1500
Jun 6, 2018
Ashford CT
Any lights you put on need to be lower that your eye level. Especially with it snowing. Lights that are above you eye level just lights up the falling snow and you cant see anything.
Same principal for fog lights on a truck, Mounted on the bumper or grill they light up the road in foggy conditions, lights mounted on the roof (or roll bar) lights up the fog and blind you.

BTW Canadian Kubota snowblowers have a hydraulic cylinder option for the chute-height deflection. just connects to the two unused ports from the loader control valve.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
View attachment 34730

View attachment 34731

The new replacement part for the worm gear for the chute is a much better improvement over the old one. After having the wire worm gear break at both ends after this past Nor'Easter storm and having to have it "emergency" welded, the plastic bushings got burned and the wire "worm" was out of round. Ordered the new one and it is one solid piece. Works much better and I do not have to worry about anything break on the actual worm gear. That and the new plastic bushings it works a bit smoother.
I might have missed the post, but what have you done to avoid the damage of over running the drive gears on the chute rotation? It appears that the original "spring unit" failed due to over rotation.

What will happen now with the "food grinder" screw?

I ask, as I have recently purchased a hydraulic motor for this same application, and don't wish to repeat failures.

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
I might have missed the post, but what have you done to avoid the damage of over running the drive gears on the chute rotation? It appears that the original "spring unit" failed due to over rotation.

What will happen now with the "food grinder" screw?

I ask, as I have recently purchased a hydraulic motor for this same application, and don't wish to repeat failures.
Not that the wire "spring" failed because of over rotation...it rusted out and broke at the weld because of the heavy snow we had up here that year. There was a lot of heavy wet snow being pushed through the chute and rotating it when it was into the heavy stuff is when it broke. I wasn't even to the limit of the rotation for the chute when it let loose.

The "new" screw drive works fine. I usually take the chute off and clean everything up and make sure there is no significant wear on anything before it goes back into snow blowing duties. Probably going to add a few extra notches into the edge of the chute when I service everything before any major snow hits.

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
Any lights you put on need to be lower that your eye level. Especially with it snowing. Lights that are above you eye level just lights up the falling snow and you cant see anything.
Same principal for fog lights on a truck, Mounted on the bumper or grill they light up the road in foggy conditions, lights mounted on the roof (or roll bar) lights up the fog and blind you.

BTW Canadian Kubota snowblowers have a hydraulic cylinder option for the chute-height deflection. just connects to the two unused ports from the loader control valve.
Ones mounted on the chute are mainly to make sure I see where the snow is going and I don't accidentally cause damage to anything that wasn't there before. My ROPS lights are more for the idiots who drive down the road at break neck speeds so they can at least see me.

I have to see why I have no power to operate my hazard beacon from the 12v outlet again. Hopefully it didn't corrode on the inside like it did the first year.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Nice being retired and not contending with snow anymore. I can sit inside by the fire now and watch.....

Just sold my Lucknow 72 rear mount 2 stage blower. No longer need it. Haven't used it in about 5 years, might as well recoup some money from it. Got 2500 cash. Paid 3500 new. More room in the barn now, less hours on the tractors.

I pay the guy down the road 10 bucks to plow my drive out if needed and an extra 10 for my rental property. Lots cheaper than a blower and diesel and seat time.

I get enough 'seat time' in the summer, farming.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
...I pay the guy down the road 10 bucks to plow my drive out if needed and an extra 10 for my rental property. Lots cheaper than a blower and diesel and seat time...
Wow! For $10, I would too! Nobody around here will even start their truck for less than $50.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
Is the new worm gear superseded over the old spring?

I haven't completed the hydraulic rotation yet, but added notches all the way around the chute a long time ago. And no, I've never blown snow in my face, but the added rotation really helps in some tight spots.

rgk66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, frt mt blower, tarter sc48 rotary mower, FEL, 6 ft woods finish mower
Jul 29, 2017
Muskegon, MI
I've been following the various chute rotation mods for a while and decided to try s simple fix. I replaced the original adjustable oem crank section with a length of straight 3/8 rod. I then just chuck up my cordless drill on this new rod, worked all last winter. The hardest part was remembering to take the drill out with me each time::eek:

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I've been following the various chute rotation mods for a while and decided to try s simple fix. I replaced the original adjustable oem crank section with a length of straight 3/8 rod. I then just chuck up my cordless drill on this new rod, worked all last winter. The hardest part was remembering to take the drill out with me each time::eek:
This is an interesting idea. If you had a drill with a separate forward/reverse and not sharing the same button with a switch to flip the direction, it seems you could figure out some easy switch system to use vs having to literally have a drill hanging there. I do wonder if after all those mods it wouldnt just be easier to get an electric motor and wire it.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
On my riding mower snowblower, Bercomac, I was not paying their outrageous price for a power set up.

I went to the pawn shop, bought a cheap 18V drill with clutch settings, a rocker switch and a relay and made a permanent set up. Works great!!!