Loading Implements on a Tilt Trailer

MakingYourWay

Equipment
B2650
Aug 19, 2019
Seattle
I'm looking to purchase a gravity tilt bed trailer for my B2650 and I'm wondering if someone with experience can tell me how loading implements with a full tilt bed is done?

I have a B2650 with BH77 backhoe, a set of forks, and a GS1560 grader scraper. I'd like to be able to load everything on a single trailer, but I'm not sure if I need a split bed trailer with a stationary section, or if I can easily load implements on a full tilt trailer?

If I go with a full tilt bed (no stationary section), what is the procedure for loading implements? What I envision is using the forks to load my grader scraper at the very front of the tilt bed (near the hitch). I strap down the forks + scraper. Then I put the bucket back on the loader, use the bucket to push the tilt bed down since I assume it won't tilt on its own anymore with 700lbs at the front...then try to drive on while holding the tilt be down? Is this the way it would be done? And if so, how hard is this in practice? Would a hydraulic/electric tilt be better in this case? Or should I really go with a split bed approach?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'm looking to purchase a gravity tilt bed trailer for my B2650 and I'm wondering if someone with experience can tell me how loading implements with a full tilt bed is done?

I have a B2650 with BH77 backhoe, a set of forks, and a GS1560 grader scraper. I'd like to be able to load everything on a single trailer, but I'm not sure if I need a split bed trailer with a stationary section, or if I can easily load implements on a full tilt trailer?

If I go with a full tilt bed (no stationary section), what is the procedure for loading implements? What I envision is using the forks to load my grader scraper at the very front of the tilt bed (near the hitch). I strap down the forks + scraper. Then I put the bucket back on the loader, use the bucket to push the tilt bed down since I assume it won't tilt on its own anymore with 700lbs at the front...then try to drive on while holding the tilt be down? Is this the way it would be done? And if so, how hard is this in practice? Would a hydraulic/electric tilt be better in this case? Or should I really go with a split bed approach?
That's the problem with a tilt bed trailer.

Mount one implement on the tractor and hang one from the bucket.

SDT

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
read tilt trailer .. thought i could help ya.

cause thats what i use. then saw gravity tilt.

sorry im hydraulic for those exact type of reasons. put whatever you want on it & then when you are ready? hit the switch.

lots of guys around me have gravity tilt, but most of them still have a front section that stays flat for an implement or box.

MakingYourWay

Equipment
B2650
Aug 19, 2019
Seattle
read tilt trailer .. thought i could help ya.

cause thats what i use. then saw gravity tilt.

sorry im hydraulic for those exact type of reasons. put whatever you want on it & then when you are ready? hit the switch.

lots of guys around me have gravity tilt, but most of them still have a front section that stays flat for an implement or box.
I've been reading that a lot of people like gravity tilt because it's easier to load the tractor without having to try and work hydraulics at the same time as getting the tractor on the trailer. Likewise, I hear hydraulic tilt can be trickier when the deck is wet. I plan to go with a wood deck, but do you have any issues with slipping, or any other troubles loading because of the hydraulic tilt? If you're slipping I imagine you need a second person working the hydraulics while you load? Or is the control cable long enough for you to work while on the tractor?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
So why not just a regular trailer with ramps ? My '80 by 16 car hauler' has hauled a D-14 with loader and PTO chipper. Kinda maxed out weight and distance BUT it was easy to drive up and go.
I can see the 'tilt' trailers being a pain, either loading ,unloading or just figuring out HOW,er, CAN 'stuff' be put on? My gut tells me tilt trailer are more money,so it'd be nice to see sizes and prices. With any tilt trailer, whatever load you put on up front MUST be secured BEFORE you tilt and get item #2 AND again for item #3. That could end up being a lot of time, to factor in.
One thing I'd add to my trailer are adjustable posts(feet ?) to keep rear of trailer 'fixed' as my ramps are simple, easy, slide in/slide out type( old school).
Jay

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've been reading that a lot of people like gravity tilt because it's easier to load the tractor without having to try and work hydraulics at the same time as getting the tractor on the trailer. Likewise, I hear hydraulic tilt can be trickier when the deck is wet. I plan to go with a wood deck, but do you have any issues with slipping, or any other troubles loading because of the hydraulic tilt? If you're slipping I imagine you need a second person working the hydraulics while you load? Or is the control cable long enough for you to work while on the tractor?
Ditch the tilt trailer idea, you get too much wet weather, the decks always going to be more slippery than not.

Get a good low implement trailer with a long set of ramps.

MakingYourWay

Equipment
B2650
Aug 19, 2019
Seattle
So why not just a regular trailer with ramps ? My '80 by 16 car hauler' has hauled a D-14 with loader and PTO chipper. Kinda maxed out weight and distance BUT it was easy to drive up and go.
I can see the 'tilt' trailers being a pain, either loading ,unloading or just figuring out HOW,er, CAN 'stuff' be put on? My gut tells me tilt trailer are more money,so it'd be nice to see sizes and prices. With any tilt trailer, whatever load you put on up front MUST be secured BEFORE you tilt and get item #2 AND again for item #3. That could end up being a lot of time, to factor in.
One thing I'd add to my trailer are adjustable posts(feet ?) to keep rear of trailer 'fixed' as my ramps are simple, easy, slide in/slide out type( old school).
Jay
My main concern with a trailer with ramps is what I can get on the trailer (use beyond just my tractor)... either vehicles, or my zero turn mower may have a harder time with ramps given the lower clearance they have vs. a tractor.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
My main concern with a trailer with ramps is what I can get on the trailer (use beyond just my tractor)... either vehicles, or my zero turn mower may have a harder time with ramps given the lower clearance they have vs. a tractor.
My first thought to your concerns are this. With a front loader, backhoe, and additional implements your trailer is going to need to be +20’ long. You can use ramps with vehicles all day long. As far as a zero turn if it’s just occasional you will be fine. More than occasional use I would also invest in a small utility trailer just for the mower as it is over kill. You need enough space to safely chain the tractor correctly. I am with Wolf ditch the tilt bed and buy something with a dovetail. I have classic cars that run up a dovetail with no problem and they are low to the ground.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
combo reply cause KENNY hit this right on the head.

with what you have & the stuff you are talking about? you need a 20' trailer.

no reason to cram or stack when the trailer costs the same. moving from a 16' to a 20' trailer has been fantastic on my end.

where people are getting the "slick" thing? ive got no clue. never had any trouble loading/unloading on my tilt deck. wet/mud/snow? NEVER a problem.

my deck is diamond plate... so maybe thats why?

i put it in 4 low & roll up on it, drop the bucket/implement set the brake, turn it off & walk over & hit the button.

piece of cake. i put 2 B7200's on there several times... along with my Hustler HD Super Z.

here is a shot of it with both my B2601 & my bigger CK4010.

Attachments

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
well there's 'car haulers' and there's 'car haulers'....
mine is low to the ground(4" drop and undersprung) AND I have LONG ramps, about 8' +-. That allows for a 'low approach' angle that I can drive small forklifts onto the trailer. The ramps get stored as 'sidewalls'.
A 'dovetail' trailer is similar BUT the last 3-4 feet is not flat. That may or may not be an issue depending on what/how stuff gets loaded.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here is a pic of my 20 foot trailer, it has no issue whatsoever loading anything no matter how low slung it is.
I don't have ramps per say, It's the entire width of the trailer, and it will haul tractors, trucks, equipment and lumber. :D

Attachments

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
^^^^ again= 20' trailers for the win!

drop gate, drop deck or tilt... they work great for tractors, fork trucks & big zero turns... not to mention cars & trucks. hee hee: even my mini truck loves the trailer.

we always had 16' trailers for everything growing up. now that ive had a good 20'? will NEVER go back to the shorter trailer.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
If you're dead set on getting a tilt, and you're going to load implements but still need the deck to tilt, get one with a 4' stationary section on the tongue end of the trailer.

There are wireless kits for an elec/hyd tilt so you don't have to leave the seat.

Slippery decks can be resolved by mixing sand in with some paint and slather it on the deck.

Last edited:

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
I’ve worked with a few fellas that had the twenty foot trailers with winches on them. They can load anything, rain, ice, snow, no matter, they get up and go. I loaded my skid steer on a tilt trailer once, it worked ok, but way too tight to try to bring implements along. Last contractor out our place had a 24 foot trailer, got it cheap, because everyone was buying 16 foot trailers. I find the longer trailers easier to back up.

Jerry

MakingYourWay

Equipment
B2650
Aug 19, 2019
Seattle
Well I sure feel a heck of a lot better about getting a trailer with ramps instead of tilt action... sounds like this is the way to go. I'll just pay close attention to deck height & ramp angle so I don't have any issues with vehicles or my zero turn mower. I appreciate all of the great feedback.

And I was planning on a 20 footer... I don't want to go less than this.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
before you buy, TRY getting your ZT onto a trailer at the dealer... if the dealer looks at you 'funny', say byebye....onto next trailer guy...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well I sure feel a heck of a lot better about getting a trailer with ramps instead of tilt action... sounds like this is the way to go. I'll just pay close attention to deck height & ramp angle so I don't have any issues with vehicles or my zero turn mower. I appreciate all of the great feedback.

And I was planning on a 20 footer... I don't want to go less than this.
Also pay close attention to width, they sell them wide and narrow, mine are all full max legal width, you can drive a full size truck up on them with plenty of room.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I looked at a tilt deck before buying the trailer I have now. I didn't get one because I often load hay on the front then put the tractor on behind it. Seemed like it was going to be more trouble than it was worth with a tilt.

Mine now is 83" wide 20' deck with 2' dove tail and 5' ramps. Works great for equipment or hay. I can put 4 rolls on the front and load the tractor on the back. I have hauled lots of low cars and the only issue is getting up on the ramps. A couple of good boards to help get the front end started on solves that issue.

I'm glad I went with a standard trailer for what I do. If my main purpose was hauling cars I might think different.