Snow Plow Options For BX1870

BX1870inPA

Equipment
Kubota BX1870
Aug 6, 2019
Linden, PA
Hello,

Just picked up a BX1870 with a loader and MMM. Looking for what my options are for a snowplow. I'm pretty sure I have the "Quick Attach" setup on the front end loader, So i would consider that option or the front mounted plow with the quick hitch. Wanted to get some opinions on each, especially the Quick Attach Plow option.

Thanks!

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
I have a quick attach blade that I use on the front of my loader for my bx2380. It works well but took a bit of practice to get the angles right when you plow left or right with it. I also found if I lock the loader in place as in not in Float position, the front of the tractor stays more planted for better traction. Keep in mind that I have the Kubota dozer/plow blade and it is quite heavy so ballast is a must. A blade on a four point subframe would definitely be easier to use but I like the fact that I can go from forks to bucket to blade easily without dealing with the four point subframe.
Chris

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
BX1880 here. I have a front mount snow blower. It attaches to the tractor frame via a proprietary kubota hitch, you have to remove the FEL. They also offer a snow blade/plow which attaches to the same hitch. Advantages of this are that (a) you are driving forward which is more natural and (b) you are pushing with the subframe of the tractor. There is some risk to pushing with the loader (think catching the edge of bucket or blade on a root or rock) and bending the loader frame.

The other option is to get a REAR blade, attached to the 3-point. This would let you keep your FEL on, AND also plow. Bonus is that these blades are significantly cheaper than front mount. Might be a good option for you.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The problem with a plow is that you get ONE chance to push that dang white stuff ,far ,far away or you're in trouble next day....
I've used rear blades on the D-14...P I T Neck !
I didn't like the remove loader to use snowblower so I'm building my own SSQA snowblower. Simple concept... 2-24inch identical snowblowers powered by one engine. Take 30 seconds to attach...NO loss of loader...
There are 'real' SSQA blowers ..just waaaaaay to much money !
If you're a reasonable scrounger/bodger, you can make one for under $500.

Jay

Last edited:

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Depending on where you are located one downside to the plow is you can run out of places to push it over the course of a long winter as the banks get higher and higher.

The front blower is really expensive, however. If the 1870 is like the 1880 does the blade share a mount with the front snowblower? You could always go with that and the blade then if it didnt work for you, you already have the mount and could get the blower and use the backup blade for smaller storms.

I went back and forth between blade, bucket and read blade, rear blower and bucket or snowblower. Lots of different opinions online, too! When I researched, I didnt find many disappointed with a blower but the price could be cost prohibitive.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
The problem with a plow is that you get ONE chance to push that dang white stuff ,far ,far away or you're in trouble next day....
I've used rear blades on the D-14...P I T Neck !
I didn't like the remove loader to use snowblower so I'm building my own SSQA snowblower. Simple concept... 2-24inch identical snowblowers powered by one engine. Take 30 seconds to attach...NO loss of loader...
There are 'real' SSQA blowers ..just waaaaaay to much money !

Jay
Agree 100% Jay. This is why I put the $$ in for a front-mount blower. No sore neck and I can put the snow anywhere. Most SSQA blowers are hydraulic and few tractors have the flow needed to run them. It will be interesting to see how your engine-powered project works out. Send Pics :)

tractorbob1

Equipment
none yet
Aug 20, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
I'm currently looking at a new 1880 and wonder is everyone happy with the power of the tractor with a front mount blower ? How far will it blow your average snow ?

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
25 - 30 ft depending on how heavy the snow is and which way the wind is blowing.
I agree and would say maybe even further depending on the RPM you are running. I had to turn mine down as I was throwing snow so far in small storms that it was leaving my property 50+ feet away. This was nicer powder, however.

I'm still eager to test it out on a real-deal 20"+ wet storm like we can get in NH.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
rear blade for the crappy wet snow/slush we get here in eastern pa. That stuff will choke a blower.

Rear blade will serve other purposes as well and the can be either push/pull depending on what your driveway material is. Loader can push back piles.

anyway, that's my vote.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
A rear blade was my only weapon for 10 years and it did the job. Next couple tractors had rear blades and loaders. That was better. Added a rear blower about 5 or 6 years ago and that's fun (but not real fast). One problem with the blower was tossing the snow far enough the first time. It was fine on driveways and smaller areas, but on a larger parking lot it wasn't a good option. Even when it would go 30 or 40 feet, it needed re-blown to get it off the lot. Each time the snow was blown, it became denser. Latest and favorite so far is a power angling front blade.