How fast things can go sideways

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
As I mentioned in another post we had quite a few large boats come into our cove and I noticed one gentleman fishing out in front of my place quite a bit for a couple days. Well yesterday I had to put a new bilge pump in my boat so I decided it would be easier if I just that the boat out of the water and bring it up to the garage which is very easy to do with the tractor since I have a hitch attachment that I made up for the front bucket. While I was getting ready to take it out this gentleman showed up to fish and I noticed he was using a spinning rod which is fine in the spring but not much good for this time of year. When he got close enough I hollered to him and asked him if he had a flyrod he said no so I told him I would lend him a one and a few flies and that he could give it back to me later when I got back on the lake. Well after I got the boat on the trailer and made it back up the steep hill I decided to take the tractor out of 4 wheel drive to go a little easier on my lawn. With that I proceeded to the garage and installed the pump all the time wondering if Dan was getting any fish. Well I decided to throw the boat right back into the lake but without thinking I forgot to shift the tractor back into 4 wheel drive before starting back down the steep hill, big mistake!! Right away after starting down the hill the tractor started picking up speed even though I was hard on the break at this point. The rear started bouncing and half way down the trailer came off the hitch from all the bouncing and took off down the hill even faster. It was just luck that it veered to the right into the bank instead of going over the steep bank on the water side. After the boat and trailer came off the hitch I was able to get the tractor stopped before running into the boat or going over the bank myself. It was kind of a slap in the face after preaching to other people to keep your mind on what your doing and not get distracted by something else. Anyway all turned out fine and sorry about the long story, now time to go shopping for some new undies.:eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Glad you can tell us about it brother,, things can go sideways in a heartbeat, a good reminder to think things through first,,, not that I have ever fail to do that or any thing, coff coff coff :rolleyes:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Glad you can tell us about it brother,, things can go sideways in a heartbeat, a good reminder to think things through first,,, not that I have ever fail to do that or any thing, coff coff coff :rolleyes:
Thank you my brother. What you doing home, I thought you were gone a fishing trip?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've done some of those myself. ;)

Just the other day I was back filling our concrete forms for the house and fell off the side of the hill, about 15' of soft powder sand, it was at a good 45+ angle and that beast took it and didn't roll! :eek:

Like you I was in need of some new boxers after I landed at the bottom. :eek:

Glad to hear you too made it out undented!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I've done some of those myself. ;)

Just the other day I was back filling our concrete forms for the house and fell off the side of the hill, about 15' of soft powder sand, it was at a good 45+ angle and that beast took it and didn't roll! :eek:

Like you I was in need of some new boxers after I landed at the bottom. :eek:

Glad to hear you too made it out undented!
Always good to learn a lesson when it doesn't hurt or end up costing ya.:rolleyes:

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Bearbait, at our age it's easy to get distracted or forget to follow thru on something. Glad you're OK.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Im gona leave like 00:30 on the 9th figure like 11 hours to the mighty Mac and once I get across another 8 or 9,, depending if I take a nap or 2 :D

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Bearbait, at our age it's easy to get distracted or forget to follow thru on something. Glad you're OK.
Thanks jajiu and as much as I hate to admit it I believe you may be on to something but you will never hear me complain about getting old.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Im gona leave like 00:30 on the 9th figure like 11 hours to the mighty Mac and once I get across another 8 or 9,, depending if I take a nap or 2 :D
Lol, not an easy trip on an old fella;) you have a great trip my friend and go show those boys how it's done and remember hunting season is just around the corner so try not to tucker yourself out too much.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Never a good thing when your trailer passes you going down a hill.
Good to hear you are not damaged.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Bear -

years ago, a buddy bought a manure spreader from another farmer.
He was drawing it home with his pickup. A 10 mile trip.
He was on a downhill part of a rural country road, and to his surprise the manure spreader was passing him on the left!![emoji3064]
It went off into a ditch, but he ended up getting it home without further drama and otherwise unharmed!!!
It won an award for the Fastest shit spreader in the county that year!!![emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Bear -

years ago, a buddy bought a manure spreader from another farmer.
He was drawing it home with his pickup. A 10 mile trip.
He was on a downhill part of a rural country road, and to his surprise the manure spreader was passing him on the left!![emoji3064]
It went off into a ditch, but he ended up getting it home without further drama and otherwise unharmed!!!
It won an award for the Fastest shit spreader in the county that year!!![emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that's funny! At one point I came close to being the shit spreader.:eek:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Never a good thing when your trailer passes you going down a hill.
Good to hear you are not damaged.
Thanks Muzzy. When I see your name it always reminds me to grab the bow and get out there and practice. It won't be long my friend before the blinds and tree stands are out.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Thanks Muzzy. When I see your name it always reminds me to grab the bow and get out there and practice. It won't be long my friend before the blinds and tree stands are out.
The season is coming, had the Bow out a few days ago, tossed a few arrows down range. Rifles always ready and for the late season, Muzzleloader time.
Going to strap up a few trail cams this week, see what's moving.