L185 oil level high - Hydraulic pump seal bad?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I checked the oil today and it was much higher than it should be. I assume that it is the hydraulic pump seal has failed and pumping the transmission fluid into the engine oil. I checked the radiator and there is no loss of coolant so I doubt it is coolant.

I assume the following steps should be taken from reading other posts:
Drain engine oil - check it for water.
Check transmission fluid level (there is no site glass just a plug in side of transmission case) to see if it is low.
If low - replace seal or entire pump.

Is there a different, "better" hydraulic pump that fits the L185F?

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Well now I really, really need help!
Looked up the part in the online catalog:
Three seals are listed:
<=11675 = 32270-36230 (item 4) no circlip
>=11676 = 37150-36230 (item 4) no circlip
>=13844 = 67211-76190 (item 40) seal
>=13844 = 04611-00280 (item 31) circlip
My tractor's serial number plate has 51332 so selected 67211-76190
Ordered the seal from Messick's and there is an update to part 67211-76190 to part number 31381-76190, ordered the circlip 04611-00280

Took pump off tractor, looked at seal and there was no circlip evident. Read through the WSM and instructions state to take the pump apart and the last piece to remove is the seal. Well - that went as well as can be expected but the seal does not come out of the back of the body, it still comes out the front - so not sure why I had to take the pump apart but I could then just pry the seal out of the front of the pump with a screwdriver since the shaft was out of the way.

Compared the new seal to the old seal and they APPEARED to be different outer diameter (to the calibrated eye) but I think well "go ahead now what do you have to loose!". Could not press the new seal in, could not drive the seal in easily so increased force and ended up damaging new seal. Obviously not the correct seal.

In hindsight, I should have ordered all three seals and had them on hand.

Looked on the old seal and there is some markings for NOK AP8356E. Can not find any cross reference for that part (yet).

Anyone have any experience, advice, correct part number, cross reference? Next step is to call the local dealer and see what part they come up with unless I can get a cross reference.

A bit frustrated with the parts listings at the moment but I bought the tractor used and have no idea if it was a parted together tractor or not. All previous parts based on serial number have fit.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I looked it all up and you are right on all the #'s.
So now that leads me to believe that someone has put a different pump on it.
Does your pump mount to a gear box like in the drawings?
Can you post some pictures of the pump (all sides) and seal (new and old) so we can try and get you the right seal. ;)

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The parts guy at the local dealer (Ewald Kubota in Del Valle) was as helpful as could be but could not determine the correct seal either. I went ahead and ordered both seals so they will both be available.

I will take some pictures and post them later this week - I have time to wait on the parts now.

The pump does mount onto a gear box similar to what is shown in the on-line manuals.

Thank you for your help.

Also got to thinking about this more and am now doubting it was the hydraulic pump seal. There was no evidence of much oil on the outside of seal (if any). I will proceed this way anyway and see what happens after replacing the seal and changing the oil. I guess I will see if I can smell any fuel smell in the currently overfull motor oil pan.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Well here are the results:

Seal for the pump ended up to be part number 37150-36230.
I also went ahead and replaced all the O-rings and seals in the pump
32270-36250 (2) for bushing (opposite drive end)
32270-36260 (2) for bushing (drive end)
32270-36220 (1) for end cover

Installed the pump, changed oil and hydraulic fluid.

Everything seems fine so far after about 3 to 5 hours of use.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
When case seal leaks, it doesent take long to bring up oil in crankcase. My forklift did same thing, dumped a lot of oil into crankcase.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
remember that a leaky Injection pump or bad injector can push diesel into the sump as well.

Mikew22

Equipment
L185
Oct 11, 2019
El Dorado Arkansas
Russell King I know this is a old thread but this is the exact problem I am having with my 79 model L185. I wrote the numbers down you had listed for the seals and O-rings. That is a big help. Do you remember if breaking the pump down was that hard to do? I am pretty mechanically inclined but I cant find very much info online or youtube about the rebuild of the pump and don't want to bight off more than I can chew

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The pump rebuild is very easy.

Just keep everything clean and take note of which direction everything comes apart, Mark the covers and case so you put them back together the same way. Buy a quart of hydraulic fluid to use to lubricate everything as you put it together.

Don’t worry too much about it and dive into it.

Use a large clean towel to take it apart and put together so if you drop something it stays clean and does not bounce away.

There’s only a few parts involved

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk