Tire Goop for 4-wheeler tires - thoughts?

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I've been chasing leaking tire beads on my 4-wheeler for quite a while and wanted to get some opinions on using that green goop to seal them up vs throwing in some tubes. My leaks are all where the tires meet the rims, and they are aftermarket aluminum rims on the 4-wheeler put on by the previous owner. They look good but the quality is pretty low.

I've tried the route of breaking the bead, cleaning what I can see off the rim, no corrosion just some dirt, reapplying bead sealer and reinflating the tire. Works for a while but they always come back. I do have the factory rims and tires that came with it when I bought it, but they are dry rotted and have been plugged quite a few times.

I know the latex based stuff would be a mess when you have to change the tire, but based on putting in tubes on all four, and adding this stuff to each tire, which way would you go? I also found a non latex based product called Flat Out by Multi Seal that washes out with water if you ever have to change the tire.

Last edited:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Slime is correct. It is the green latex based tire sealer. Goop is the hand cleaner if I can remember now after a few cups of coffee.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
If you do any high speed running, you won't like slime as it could really throw off the balance. If you don't run high speeds, I'd say go for the slime treatment.

what condition are the tires in and how many plies are they? Sometimes there is just too much sidewall flex at low psi that cause issues. I've found that the heavier constructed tires (6 ply or better) fair much better. I run STI Roctanes (HD) version that are made for sxs on my Brute.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If I was going to put a product in a tire I would not use Slime. It's well advertised and "sometimes" works. When it does not work you have a mess, and have to start over.

Also, some wheels are made so that they will not accept a tube. Yes, the valve stem can't come out of the tube the way some wheels are shaped.

Here's the sealer I use, and it really does work. It cost more, but it is amazing! https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Gallon-Q...245604&hash=item4b636464d9:g:yn0AAOSw-K1cw5LB

I had some Carlisle tires on my Polaris Ranger that just started cracking just behind the lugs. First a slow leak, then greater. I used some of the ATV quad sealant and it worked but the tires just keep getting more cracks so I replaced them.

I bought some 8 plys off of Ebay. They are heavy, but I can ride in a hay field, or any field, and not be concerned about flats. There are the tires I got. https://simpletire.com/deestone-26-12-12-dsr0140-tires They're actually cheaper on Ebay!

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Thanks for the feedback. Good point on the tubes. I'll have to see if they even make them in the sizes I need and if the rims will take them. The tires are in good shape, no cracks and running at the sidewall pressure. You get them in any mud/water you start to see the bubbles from the beads. This is for a Polaris 800.

I may have to do some research on different tires for this thing. Not sure of the ply at this point or manufacturer either. Need to pull it out tonight and check.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
John, I had a 300 gal. sprayer I used for field spraying and the 15" tires would always leak air at the bead. I finally got fed up with the problem and broke the tire down and put some pine tar (yes, the stuff baseball player use on their bats for grip) on the bead after cleaning the wheel with a wire brush on a 4" angle grinder.

Sure solved my problem! Don't know what ever happened to that wheel, but I still have the sprayer.....maybe it's still on it?

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
John, I had a 300 gal. sprayer I used for field spraying and the 15" tires would always leak air at the bead. I finally got fed up with the problem and broke the tire down and put some pine tar (yes, the stuff baseball player use on their bats for grip) on the bead after cleaning the wheel with a wire brush on a 4" angle grinder.

Sure solved my problem! Don't know what ever happened to that wheel, but I still have the sprayer.....maybe it's still on it?
Pine Tar. How did that hold up in cold weather? Watched one video where a guy was using Permatex to seal the tire to the rim. Looked like crap when he was done but held air.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Slime worked good on my ATV Carlisle Tires, no leaks, been good 6 years now.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I have used Ride-On and find it does well for me. I put it in tires on a used Gator that had plugs in the tires. Did not even check pressure for over 2 years. Here is a link. I bought it on line as no dealers in my area.

https://www.ride-on.com/

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Thanks for the input. I ended up going with the Flat Out product here this morning. Can order it from Amazon and get it in over the next couple days. I'll post my results once I get it in and see how it works.

smittydog27

Equipment
L3901DT, MX5200DT, Case 450, 1450 dozers, Case 530 const. king backhoe/loader
Dec 11, 2018
Huntington
Well, I used the Kubota tire sealant on my SxS's. Works great. Also use it in my front tires on the BX.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Alumaseal and antifreeze. Get a water bottle fill it halfway with antifreeze, pour in a tube of alumaseal, shake well. With the valve core out, and the stem at 6 o’clock, a small piece of fuel line and small funnel pour into your tire. It doesn’t attack rubber, the aluminum particles seal all but the biggest holes, and if you have to dismount them, there clean. Each tube is .99 cents.
Used it for years on all our off road toys and 4x4’s.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
None of them work for rim or sidewall leaks. They're only effective for tread leaks. Keep that in mind. I've used all of the ones listed so far, but nobody mentioned PCC. That's the good stuff but it won't seal sidewall leaks very well either. Sometimes it will but it's rare.

I put PCC in all 4 mower tires the day I put them on, and have never had a low tire-ever. That was, gosh, 6 years ago? There's a few screws in the right front where the guys who built the shop got careless, but they don't leak any and I ain't pulling them out.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
That is my concern with the rim leak at the bead. You got all that liquid stuff basically down by the tread and none up by the bead. I'll try the stuff I have coming and see if it works. My plan is to fill each tire, air them up then swirl it around the bead the best I can to see if it will find the leaks. If not, I may go back to the factory wheels and just put some new tires on it.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The bigger power atv’s have a tendency to walk the tire. Due to the low pressure and rim design the rims will slip inside the tires. Tubes may help,but i have seen the stems tear off. Instant right now flat.
The harder,more aggressive tires are worse. Throw in the cold weather we get up here its an exercise in futility.
Had some golf cart wheels that needed constant attention i got fed up and smeared silicone sealant around and seated the bead in it. End of problem.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Added the sealer this past weekend. So far so good. I removed all four and tried to get it around the bead the best I could. I’ll check it in a few days and see how they are holding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk