Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Implements & Attachments

Implements & Attachments Find everything related to operating, servicing and maintaining that loader, mower, blade, snow blower, tiller, hitch or scraper, right here.

Old 08-18-2019   #1
suddenstop

Equipment: Kubota L3301, front bucket, rear hoe, landpride auger
Default Suggested snow blowers or techniques for blowing a gravel driveway?

Just about to seriously start my search for a cat 1, 3PH, blower in the 64" - 72" range. Are their any manufacturers that handle a gravel road better then others without throwing stones?

Also, any other techniques other then plowing the first few times with leaving an inch or two behind to freeze up and act as a cushion between the blower and the rocks?

Thanks!
suddenstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2019   #2
North Idaho Wolfman

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Default Re: Suggested snow blowers or techniques for blowing a gravel driveway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddenstop View Post
Just about to seriously start my search for a cat 1, 3PH, blower in the 64" - 72" range. Are their any manufacturers that handle a gravel road better then others without throwing stones?

Also, any other techniques other then plowing the first few times with leaving an inch or two behind to freeze up and act as a cushion between the blower and the rocks?

Thanks!
I don't know which company makes it, but the cats meow is the model with large wheels on it instead of shoes, floats right over the gravel.

Last edited by North Idaho Wolfman; 08-19-2019 at 07:05 AM.
North Idaho Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019   #3
twomany
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B7200

Wear shoes on the side boards.

Lift the blower about 1.5" off the surface. Set the top link so the blower scraper bar sits the same height.

After you get a good freeze up, raise the shoes, lower the blower, or just remove the shoes altogether. (Then hope it doesn't thaw ;-)
twomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019   #4
rjcorazza
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD331

I don't use my blower on gravel, but I will say that most blowers I've seen either do not come with skid shoes, or they are so small that they are practically useless. I installed a set of large shoes that are made for a much larger blower. I bolted them to the outside of the housing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rjcorazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019   #5
Dave_eng
Master Tech

Equipment: M7040, Nuffield 465

My blower is an inverted type but my wheel fix would be appropriate for any style. I blow on a lot of gravel and ground.

I use a selector valve to provide a hydraulic circuit to adjust the wheel height but it could be done manually.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverted blower retreactable wheels.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	44398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Smyth wheels 1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	44400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Smyth wheels 2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	44401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Smyth wheels 3.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	44402  
Dave_eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019   #6
Tim Horton
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: "PEPE" RTV400

We have an older Allied 50" blower 3pt, cat 1. It is the same blower that goes under a lot of names.

Yes. It is only 50" wide, our tractor is 54" wide, but no big deal. It was a cheap blower.

I set the skid shoes to keep the bottom edge about 1.5" high until there is a frozen solid, well packed base then adjust the skids to 0" high. Yes. It does move a little gravel at times, but not enough to worry about.

Did I mention we got it cheap ??
My 5 cents of experience and opinion.
Tim Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019   #7
Michigankubota
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX2670 Loader, Land Pride 64” Blower ,60”MMM , Land Pride 48” Box Blade.

The Land Pride blowers have shoes the length of the blower. They have a wide range of height adjustments.
Michigankubota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019   #8
chuck99z28

1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX23s

I moved from suburbia to the country with a gravel driveway and brought a snow blow with me. First snow I figured I'd give it a try and just skim the snow off the top. It doesn't work like that. The gravel sticks to the snow and gets pulled in an creates a hell of a racket. One piece got lodges and bam, then engine stopped in an instant. Didn't break anything, but wow what a noise that thing made.

I sold the snow blower and got a snow plow for my new BX23s. The plow also doesn't work as the driveway is not totally flat. It digs in and pushes as much gravel as snow.

I found the best way is to just use the bucket and back drag the snow drifts off to the side, leaving a few inches of snow on the gravel. Driving on it with both the tractor and my pickup packs the snow into the gravel and really makes a nice solid smooth surface. We don't get a lot of snow every year, but when we do we get a few feet, in which case the snow plow or floating the bucket while going forward should cut it down to a few inches without hitting gravel.

This year, I'm going to try slitting some 6inch PVC and putting it on the bottom of the snow blade to try and get it to float on the gravel. But I'm not expecting it to work. I'll probably sell the snow blade. Its a nice Kubota with hydraulic angle movement.

I considered paving, but owning a tractor and a grader makes the gravel driveway pretty cheap in the way of maintenance costs.
chuck99z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019   #9
GreensvilleJay
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX23-S

hmm. I was thinking of getting a 4' section of 'plastic' decking ( Trex) and bolt to the bucket of my BX23S. There's 7 real nice 5/8" holes along the bottom edge. 3 counter sunk bolts should work fine.
Jay
GreensvilleJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019   #10
motionclone
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L345DT, Great Bend FEL, 3pt BH, LP 72" Mwr, Woods 60" bh, Forks, Grapple thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck99z28 View Post
I moved from suburbia to the country with a gravel driveway and brought a snow blow with me. First snow I figured I'd give it a try and just skim the snow off the top. It doesn't work like that. The gravel sticks to the snow and gets pulled in an creates a hell of a racket. One piece got lodges and bam, then engine stopped in an instant. Didn't break anything, but wow what a noise that thing made.

I sold the snow blower and got a snow plow for my new BX23s. The plow also doesn't work as the driveway is not totally flat. It digs in and pushes as much gravel as snow.

I found the best way is to just use the bucket and back drag the snow drifts off to the side, leaving a few inches of snow on the gravel. Driving on it with both the tractor and my pickup packs the snow into the gravel and really makes a nice solid smooth surface. We don't get a lot of snow every year, but when we do we get a few feet, in which case the snow plow or floating the bucket while going forward should cut it down to a few inches without hitting gravel.

This year, I'm going to try slitting some 6inch PVC and putting it on the bottom of the snow blade to try and get it to float on the gravel. But I'm not expecting it to work. I'll probably sell the snow blade. Its a nice Kubota with hydraulic angle movement.

I considered paving, but owning a tractor and a grader makes the gravel driveway pretty cheap in the way of maintenance costs.
Youve got to work on your driveway so its flat. Find some shoes for the plow so the cutting edge is an inch higher than the driveway.

In Maine we wait to plow gravel driveways until the road or driveway has frozen up then its hard as pavement.
motionclone is offline   Reply With Quote