Phone calls

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
These things are getting way out of hand, I got one from a 746 area code,, on the cell and it looked close enough to the 724 code I get calls from,, Answered it and I get a recording in chinleese. Went and looked up the number,,nada but I did find out the 746 code is an unassigned world code. WOnder what verizon is going to charge me for answering that call,,, And the calls that have no name on the caller ID just numbers,I figure they are robo calls and I am on the DNC list( thats DO NOT CALL list) not the other dnc !!!
They keep finding ways around it I guess I have gotten to the point anymore I don't answer the house phone let it go to voicemail never a message. Cell that's different I answer it because of the OL. I hate these people!

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
my cell phone number is basically junk I get a few calls a day that don't get answered for simple reason I don't recognize the number.

voice mails get a call back if legit

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Everyone says they can't stop it.
Bull$#!^.
We put men on the moon in the sixties- are you trying to tell me that with today's technology they can't stop robo, scam, and sales calls? Bull$#!^.
They don't want to stop it.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Skeets are you telling us your not concerned about your college loans and car warranties?

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
It is the plague of the phone technology age. Heard on the radio the other day that 2 billion robo calls are placed EACH MONTH with 80% the US ones originating in Los Angeles.

I have several thousand blocked numbers on my cell phone and only get a few that are tried again. We have all the "blocking" offered by our various carriers and the land line had at least 20 blocked yesterday (phone rings once) when we only had two real calls.

Life in the new age, I long for rotary dial with party lines of yesteryear like we had on the dairy farm. At this old/retired age I can go slower just fine.

GD

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
There was a side benefit to long distance that cost money.

I get two to ten of these 'illegal' calls every day. If there is no caller ID associated with the number, it is blocked. If it is a number that has called a few times, it is blocked. If the caller ID says 'Out of Area', it is blocked. That alone gets rid of 90% of them. Some, I do pick up the phone but I remain silent. If no one seaks, I hang up, if they ask for me by name, I decide if it is a real person or not. If they are real, I answer, admonishing them to always announce who they are when calling anyone as it is the polite thing to do.

This all on my landline. My cell phone is never turned on and does not have the voice mail enabled.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
If it is not in my address book it doesn't get answered. My VM message is the sound of a fax machine negotiating connection. People who know me leave a message, the rest remove my "fax number" and don't call back. Still get around 4-8 a week but less since I let them go to vm.. If i'm driving somewhere or bored, I'll answer and play along. Keeps them from scamming someone else and entertains my warped little pea brain.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I have a dedicated fax line and it rings from 2 to 15 times a day. I receive a legitimate fax maybe two times a week. I do send a lot of faxes though, for trip settlements.
After every 50 calls, the fax machine prints a log of the calls, and all but a few are robo-calls.
Apparently, their software doesn't detect fax machines and keeps calling.

Too bad their isn't a way to send 50,000 volts down the lines to "discourage" them.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
You have to figure that someone is making money off these calls and have a lobby group in D.C. Follow the money and you would see that it is fruitless to try and get anything done. I dumped my land line so that cost AT&T a few bucks. I definitely do not answer any call that is not in my contact list, if a voicemail is left I decide if it deserves a call back. To date not many voicemails. When I had my land line I would mess with them if I had time and was bored. I feel sorry for people that have active businesses that must answer calls.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
This might help slow the calls down:
Federal Do Not Call Registry (888)-382-1222
Doesn’t do a Darn bit of good because there are too many loopholes. We get 20-40 calls a day, and most are political related somehow, so they are exempt. Blocking only partially works, because they are always coming up with new numbers, and stealing local phone numbers. I know someone who just recently got a call that came up on the ID as the same number as the phone they answered in.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I know someone who just recently got a call that came up on the ID as the same number as the phone they answered in.
That has happened probably half a dozen times on the home landline and the same amount on the FIL's landline also.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
You have to figure that someone is making money off these calls and have a lobby group in D.C. Follow the money and you would see that it is fruitless to try and get anything done. I dumped my land line so that cost AT&T a few bucks. I definitely do not answer any call that is not in my contact list, if a voicemail is left I decide if it deserves a call back. To date not many voicemails. When I had my land line I would mess with them if I had time and was bored. I feel sorry for people that have active businesses that must answer calls.
I was at the Verizon store a few months back. Their land line was constantly ringing. All the calls were scammers/spammers.....:rolleyes:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
What we NEED is a 'personal' do not call(P-DNC) feature on our phone lines. Here in Canada we have that next to useless DNC as well. Heck even the guv will NOT respond to my requests for P-DNC.
How it'd work..
...you get an unwanted call.
... you press *666 or something... and the caller isadded to your personal list of 'blocked' callers. Should THAT number call you again, they will be BLOCKED.
All the tech for this has existed for decades....
BTW the calling number, while it currently doesn't show up on YOUR phone IS KNOWN to the phone service provider. They need that for 'billing purposes'.

Jay

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
You may find that trying to block specific NPA (Area Code), NXX (Local Exchange), or XXXX (Subscriber Extension) you will effectively block legitimate phone numbers only. More than 90% of the phone numbers that show up on your caller ID are spoofed numbers.