Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 08-08-2019   #1
Tornado
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Default Put a tree limb through my grill (brand new L2501)

So my new L2501 is still under 20 hours use. Got it back in May just before I got married so I've not used it a ton since I got it. I've got a huge list of jobs to do when the weather starts to change here in fall. (I'm in north florida) One of those jobs is lots of land clearing. Expanding our backyard, and clearing an area for a new garden spot. The other weekend it was a heavily cloudy day so it was a bit cooler I decided to go ahead and start one one of those jobs and headed out to the woods. Got some good work done - was impressed with how much easier and better looking I could do this sitting in a tractor seat than my old way of manually cutting and piling by hand with a chainsaw. In the process of pushing one of my piles though I pushed into about a 3 inch limb that was sticking out form the pile. I am pushing these piles with a root rake on the FEL, so I couldn't really see that limb protruding as I pushed in. It punctured the front plastic grill on the L2501. It never reached the battery or radiator thankfully, so the damage is just minor cosmetics. It punctured in an like an L patter, so it didn't bust open a full hole - the plastic is flexible so it just punctured then bent, so if you look at the tractor and don't look close you cant tell its actually broken until you press in on it. I don't plan to replace the grill at this time as It was over 100 dollars for the part when I looked, and its just not noticeable.

This incident did get me to thinking however about either buying or having fabricated a better grill guard for the front of the tractor to prevent this form happening again, and potentially reaching the battery or radiator. I've looked online to see if there are any after market options for a grill guard but didn't find anything, most of what I've seen is just individuals fabricating their own solutions, some of them look really nice. I was thinking maybe some expanded metal welded onto the grill guard. I would have to pay someone to do the fabrication as I have no welder personally. I plan to do a lot of land clearing work however, and pushing lots of cut limbs and trees, so I feel like I need to do something. I'm just trying to elicit some ideas or suggestions.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2019   #2
D2Cat

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Default Re: Put a tree limb through my grill (brand new L2501)

I made one for my L4240 from some punched metal. I made it from two pieces because it was left-overs from a project, $15 each and some angle iron.

This is held on to the existing guard with two each bolts with a hook on them. It works good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190503_171957 (Custom).jpg (91.7 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg 20190504_120029 (Custom).jpg (82.5 KB, 262 views)

"Remember the quality of your question directly affects the quality of your answer."

Last edited by D2Cat; 08-08-2019 at 06:52 AM.
D2Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019   #3
Michael In Tennessee
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: MX4800HST

Yeah, I made 85 hours on my MX. I got the expanded metal, I just need a bigger welder to fabricate the guard.
Michael In Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019   #4
Tornado
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2Cat View Post
I made one for my L4240 from some punched metal. I made it from two pieces because it was left-overs from a project, $15 each and some angle iron.

This is held on to the existing guard with two each bolts with a hook on them. It works good.
Thanks for the pictures D2Cat. I love seeing the pictures for ideas. That would be the simplest solution and one I could do myself. I just worry if something like that is not rigid enough? If I push into a pile and a limb lets go and sling shots a little id Like the guard be able to withstand that kind of impact. Im trying to plan for the worst case scenario. It is an L2501 we are talking about so I obviously wont be pushing stuff TOO big, but I do want it to be able to withstand any possible forced impacts without failing. I do like your solution however as that is something I could do myself in a day and not have to take the grill off, take it to someone else, etc etc.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019   #5
Freeheeler
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: b2650 tlb

Go to the fab section here and search 'grill guard'. Tons of posts and pics to get ideas from. If you get something made, post up pics.
Freeheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019   #6
sparky45
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L 3301DT

This guy builds a really good one. He also has a video of his build for his newer larger tractor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHxa8L5Uinc

Last edited by sparky45; 08-08-2019 at 09:19 AM.
sparky45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019   #7
Ryansweatt2004
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: 2017 kubota L3901HST

Need to get yourself some expanded metal welded into your grill guard.
2017 kubota L3901 HST, LA525 SSQA loader, BH77 backhoe, woods 66 HD round back bucket with bolt on cutting edge, landpride LR3784 landscape rake with gauge wheels, Landpride RB3784 rear blade, Landpride RTA2562 rototiller, landpride BB1566 box blade, Titan 42 inch SSQA forks, Wallenstien BX42 chipper.
Ryansweatt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019   #8
Missouribound
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH

What may look good is some of those nice chrome plated grill grates like on high end gas grilles. You would have to build a frame though.
Missouribound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019   #9
Terrain Twister
1st Yr. Apprentice

A few more weeks and I'll have my CNC back in action and I'll be doing something custom for mine. Haven't hurt anything yet but I have pushed on the hydraulic lines on the grapple and that got me realizing something needs to be done.
Terrain Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019   #10
Piper59

Equipment: L2501 w fel,howse 5ft.bush hog,howse 5ft.bb,piranha tooth bar,and clamp on forks

I did the exact same thing on mine at about 35 hrs.I saw where some guy on this forum put expanded metal on his grill and csad it with (what looks like ) 1in.angle iron.Nice job.Think I'm going to do something similar. Btw,this is my 1st.post and have visited quite a bit looking at information. Good forum.
Piper59 is offline   Reply With Quote