Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Buying Advice, Recommendations & Pricing

Buying Advice, Recommendations & Pricing Looking at starting or growing your Kubota equipment collection? Unsure if you have found a good deal or not?

Old 08-07-2019   #1
Garrik

1st Yr. Apprentice

Default So confused ;) L4701 vs. MX5800 vs. M5660

Shopping for my first tractor. Have decided on Orange. Am horribly confused by the product line - and would hugely appreciate help/thoughts/advice.

Property is a 40 acre fairly hilly parcel. Work will mostly be non-ag - tree stumps, ponds, light grading, trenching and drains, brush hog, carrying and spreading gravel/rock, etc. Will be building a home and outbuildings and at least one pond for sure.

I have been trying hard to understand the differences between the L, MX, M5660 and M7060 other than HP (which even I can figure out!).

Biggest differences seem to be:
  • Loader capacity and backhoe dig depth (obvious and easy to measure)
  • Transmission. L and MX come with MST, M's all come with hydro-shuttle
  • Size and weight

What am I missing that I should care about?

From where I sit right now, the MX5800 seems like the choice - and I see lots of guys making the same decision (which makes me feel good lol). Any reason to step up to the M5660 or M7060 for this kind of application?

Is the smaller L4701 likely to do the job for me? It is only $3.5k less than the MX5800 for 10 fewer Engine HP and 11 fewer PTO HP, so I am having a hard time understanding why I would want an L.

Thanks much, really appreciate the advice!
Garrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2019   #2
jkcolo22
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX25D
Default Re: So confused ;) L4701 vs. MX5800 vs. M5660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrik View Post
Shopping for my first tractor. Have decided on Orange. Am horribly confused by the product line - and would hugely appreciate help/thoughts/advice.

Property is a 40 acre fairly hilly parcel. Work will mostly be non-ag - tree stumps, ponds, light grading, trenching and drains, brush hog, carrying and spreading gravel/rock, etc. Will be building a home and outbuildings and at least one pond for sure.

I have been trying hard to understand the differences between the L, MX, M5660 and M7060 other than HP (which even I can figure out!).

• Size and weight

From where I sit right now, the MX5800 seems like the choice - and I see lots of guys making the same decision (which makes me feel good lol). Any reason to step up to the M5660 or M7060 for this kind of application?

Is the smaller L4701 likely to do the job for me? It is only $3.5k less than the MX5800 for 10 fewer Engine HP and 11 fewer PTO HP, so I am having a hard time understanding why I would want an L.

The MX is an “economy” tractor. Fewer bells and whistles. Watch these videos.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yF-f9_zkW4U
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QbWem2lgf04

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jkcolo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019   #3
Cathy Liebchen
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Location: Atlanta, GA, Mineral Bluff, GA, and Blount County, AL
Equipment: KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT

Quote:

• Size and weight

For the tasks you list, Horsepower consideration is only directly related to the brush hogging. Everything else is size and weight, with bigger and heavier also having more HP.

"Work will mostly be non-ag - tree stumps-
ponds, trenching and drains"- these are backhoe chores and best done with a real backhoe, or big rented equipment (excavator, skidder, bulldozer) or hired out. Tractors with backhoes are fine for the occasional hole digging or a stump here and there but not really designed to dig a whole pond out

"brush hog"- need PTO HP and size the brush hog accordingly

"light grading, carrying and spreading gravel/rock, etc. "- heavier with bigger loader capacity is always better

The L 4701 is an odd model and dealers here sell few of them. I didn't see any reason to look at it vs an MX other than it is not as heavy and is the largest model you can easily trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup.

MX will be much more stable on side hill slopes

M series is a big heavy tractor and you can get them with a cab. Will need a big truck and trailer to take one anywhere
Cathy Liebchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019   #4
Garrik

1st Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy Liebchen View Post
The L 4701 is an odd model and dealers here sell few of them. I didn't see any reason to look at it vs an MX other than it is not as heavy and is the largest model you can easily trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup.
Won't need to trailer it - the machine will live on the property. And I don't see any reason for the L either. So maybe I just rule that one out unless someone wants to make a case for it.

Quote:
M series is a big heavy tractor ...
So maybe I should just boil this down to MX5800 vs. M7060.

The M is 1,300 lbs heavier, a foot longer, has 200 lbs more FEL capacity, quite a bit more hydraulic capacity (with the 12 speed) and costs $12k (30%) more.

My instinct is that for a first time buyer like me - the M is too much machine. The MX will do much of what I need, and as you suggest, I can always hire someone with a D4 or rent myself a bigger tractor when I need it.

Does that make sense?
Old 08-07-2019   #5
Garrik

1st Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcolo22 View Post
The MX is an “economy” tractor. Fewer bells and whistles. Watch these videos.
Appreciate the pointer. I have watched both of those, and a dozen more, and am still very confused

For example, in the M vs MX video, they talk about "utility tasks" vs. "compact tractor tasks" - but I don't know what that means. I see my tasks as more construction oriented and less mowing type stuff - which I think means more "utility" like. But do I really want or need a machine that weighs 5,000 lbs bare?

The MX is one foot shorter than the M - which to me doesn't seem like that big a difference in a 10 foot long tractor. The FEL capacity is 10% less, again, not a huge difference like that between the L series and the MX series FEL.

I do think that the "easier to drive" HST transmission will be better for me - and I can't get that in the M...
Old 08-07-2019   #6
PaulL
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: bx2350

I think either the MX or the M would be an excellent tractor for your tasks. The MX will be plenty of tractor, in stepping up to the M it's really a question of money and desire - you don't seem to need an M for any of the tasks you describe.

The M does have a nicer transmission, but there's nothing wrong with the MX transmission. There are probably a bunch of detail features that are different and one of them may matter for some particular task you want to do.

As others have said, generally better to not get the backhoe and instead hire out the tasks that need one - a bigger machine (with an operator perhaps) will do those jobs way faster. The exception is if you have small backhoe tasks quite often, and you don't want to drive to town to rent one, and drive back to take it back again. In that situation, having a backhoe sitting there that you just hook up and use is a real game changer.

If you're planning on doing a lot of the ground works for your house yourself that may be the situation you're in - lots of evenings or weekends where you do a few bits of the work, although again a lot of people would suggest buying a second hand mini-ex or small excavator for that time period and selling again at the end - then you can drive the excavator whilst the wife drives the tractor, and a dedicated excavator will do the job much better. You'll sell it again for most of what you bought it for, so it's money well spent. And of course, unless you're set on doing that work yourself, probably you'll find paying a professional to do it would be way faster and give a better end result - you can spend 2 years fiddling around with ground works and that's 2 years you're not building a house.
PaulL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019   #7
edritchey

3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B21 - M59 - MX5800

The MX5800 amd the M5660 are the same price and if you go with the M5660 you get a little stronger loader, stronger transmission, little bigger and heavier tractor, a rear set of hydraulic remotes, a button on the dash to maintain pto speed while running a generator, a swinging drawbar. Both sell for about 34000 to 34500 with the front loader.

Good luck with your choice.
edritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019   #8
jkcolo22
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX25D

Go and drive some and talk to a knowledgeable sales person. I would stay away from shuttle shift with a hilly property. They are known to freewheel when shifting on a hill. Scary... I would personally be considering a Grand L model with a cab. Might take a little more time but you’ll be in comfort... High HP implements are also more expensive, so you make sure you factor in the cost of implements matched to all that HP you think you want. Maybe you’ve already done your homework. Just my .02.

And I will never talk anyone out of a backhoe. I actually started a picture thread so we can all discuss how great they are. I’d personally rather roll out of bed and onto the seat then screw around with poorly maintained equipment that I’m not familiar with, and the time and hassle of renting (and more likely to break something from rushing while the clock ticks). Not to mention it will take many many many hours on backhoe/excavator controls before you are working efficiently. Learning on a rental is expensive. Every time I use my backhoe, even if it takes 2x long as renting a miniex, I can’t help but compare the cost of owning vs renting, and smile as I think “well, that machine just paid for itself.”

Thread I referenced: What made you happy you got the backhoe today?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...7&share_type=t

jkcolo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019   #9
hope to float
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L3450

Quote:

..... and costs $12k (30%) more.
12K beans gets a skilled machine operator for a lot of hours and the job will be done right and you can be doing something else.
hope to float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019   #10
Bmyers
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: Grand L3560 with LA805 loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcolo22 View Post
Go and drive some and talk to a knowledgeable sales person. I would stay away from shuttle shift with a hilly property. They are known to freewheel when shifting on a hill. Scary... I would personally be considering a Grand L model with a cab. Might take a little more time but you***8217;ll be in comfort... High HP implements are also more expensive, so you make sure you factor in the cost of implements matched to all that HP you think you want. Maybe you***8217;ve already done your homework. Just my .02.

And I will never talk anyone out of a backhoe. I actually started a picture thread so we can all discuss how great they are. I***8217;d personally rather roll out of bed and onto the seat then screw around with poorly maintained equipment that I***8217;m not familiar with, and the time and hassle of renting (and more likely to break something from rushing while the clock ticks). Not to mention it will take many many many hours on backhoe/excavator controls before you are working efficiently. Learning on a rental is expensive. Every time I use my backhoe, even if it takes 2x long as renting a miniex, I can***8217;t help but compare the cost of owning vs renting, and smile as I think ***8220;well, that machine just paid for itself.***8221;

Thread I referenced: What made you happy you got the backhoe today?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...7&share_type=t

I like the Grand L 60 series. My little tractor has done well. I like the cab, but I don't like the heat nor the bugs, which the cab takes care of both. The HST+ transmission has been really easy to use and has worked great doing the various loader work that we have been trying to accomplish. If the picture feature worked, I would post some, but it keeps rejecting all my pictures.
Bmyers is online now   Reply With Quote