Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Buying Advice, Recommendations & Pricing

Buying Advice, Recommendations & Pricing Looking at starting or growing your Kubota equipment collection? Unsure if you have found a good deal or not?

Old 08-14-2019   #11
Bmyers
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: Grand L3560 with LA805 loader
Default Re: First Tractor Recommendation

I know I opted for the R4 tires to prevent tearing up the yard and areas as much as the AG tires do.
Bmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2019   #12
Jchonline
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: Kubota M62, grapple, backhoe, rear blade, forks

Congrats on the soon to be purchase! R4s are also much thicker in general (6 ply vs 2 ply etc). They will resist punctures especially in the sidewall. Unless you tractor is in the field all day or you really need the added traction I would stick with R4.
Jchonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019   #13
MotorCityBear
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L3901

Sounds like I should get the R4ís. Thanks again for the information.
MotorCityBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019   #14
Dchemphill1
1st Yr. Apprentice

You will love the tractor....get whatever tire you decide on filled...It will make the tractor more stable especially if you have any slope at all on your properties...It will also give better traction when pushing or pulling something. I could not believe the difference with "beet juice" added to my tractor tires..something like an extra 550lbs.
Dchemphill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019   #15
FarmFreshKS
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: MX5800, ZD221

Well, did you pull the trigger and get something bought?

I just went from a L355ss with ag tires to an MX5800 with industrial tires, and I kinda miss my ag tires. I'm not that worried about compaction and tearing up the yard (I'm not on some fancy estate) and the R4s definitely slip a lot more.

Kubota puts in so many breakpoints on HP for just a few $$ more, it is hard to find where to land. You can go up a few HP and a few $$ at a time until you're in an M Series! I think I started looking at like a B series, and somehow ended up with an MX (this was all before I owned the L355ss that I was doing that looking)...

FarmFreshKS
FarmFreshKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019   #16
D2Cat

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240

The use of R1 or R4 tires depends on the weather conditions, thus the soil dampness, and ones need to use the machine in those conditions. Each one has to evaluate that for themselves.

Our yard is pretty well kept, but yesterday I needed to get a couple 18.4 x 38 tractor tires mounded on extended wheels off my trailer. I used my L4240 to pull the trailer through two terraces in the back 3 acres and across the yard yesterday, because I had a guy coming to pick them up. It was raining that morning and we've had 5" of rain in the last 10 days, and I have R4 on that tractor. Everything went fine, so damage to the grass, and I'm not in the dog house!

I clean snow for most of the neighbors with the same tractor. R4's work fine for me. The operator has to use judgement on where, when and how much...no matter what tread they have!

"Remember the quality of your question directly affects the quality of your answer."
D2Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019   #17
Dunbar

2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1660 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT

I disagree with Cathy on the rear hydraulics. For a rotary cutter or a finish mower the float function of one of the rear hydraulic valves allows the cutter to follow the contours parallel to the direction of travel. This keeps the cutter from digging into the dirt if the ground tilts left or right, say along a slight ditch or swell. I can not imagine not having Top and Tilt on my tractor, an L2501. I have the QH15 quick hitch since all of my attachments are new and QH compatible. Even with the quick hitch there is a lot of manual manipulation to switch from a box blade to a rotary cutter. With the TnT kit it is much easier to hook up. The float valve hydraulic line can be switched from the Top cylinder to the Tilt cylinder. I use it on tilt for cutters and generally the Top for the box blade. It is useful to float the Tilt on the box blade for following a ditch.

The rear hydraulics are not near as easy to add later. Video of installation. The 3rd function up front is not bad though but I got that installed by the dealer too. It cost me about $3k for the 2 rear remotes and the W.R. Long 3rd function kits installed but but with the 0% financing over 84 months it only raised my payment by a meager amount. I did have to purchase the TnT kit, in my case from Brian (Mountainview Ranch on OTT) at FitRite hydraulics. Look at some of his posts here on OTT and you will see how helpful his products, and he, are.

I second the QA quick attach bucket. My grapple (EA Wicked Root Rake 55") is on my tractor more than my bucket or forks.

Here is the optional floating top link for the QH15. It, along with the floating Tilt cylinder keep me from scalping the pasture or even killing the engine by the blade digging into the dirt. I can go through dips both directions and the cutter floats right along.
Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019   #18
Cathy Liebchen
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Location: Atlanta, GA, Mineral Bluff, GA, and Blount County, AL
Equipment: KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT

the Land Pride cutters come with a floating top link already on the mower. We looked a long time at the adding hydraulics, and determined $3,000 was not worth it for our use to occasionally change an implement angle. I think they are great if you are using a grader blade
Cathy Liebchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019   #19
MotorCityBear
1st Yr. Apprentice

So a new L3901 is heading my way next week. Canít wait!
1953 Allis Chalmers B
Old 09-09-2019   #20
MotorCityBear
1st Yr. Apprentice

Finally, after a few delays it was delivered today.

L3901HST, FEL, rotary cutter, canopy, front pallet forks, cruise control and the right side grab bar, (not sure why they donít just install them on all L tractors).

Now the fun begins.....
1953 Allis Chalmers B