Ordering my B2650 tomorrow or Tuesday, last minute advice?

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Finally sold my BX23. Thinking about ordering its replacement tomorrow or early next week. The plan is:

- B2650 HST ROPS
- FEL with SSQA, 60" bucket, LP forks
- Third function for future grapple
- 60" mid-mount mower
- Backhoe with 16"bucket
- R4 tires

Debated between R4 and R1 tires; like the idea of the R4 for more stability and puncture resistance. Concerned about traction in mud and snow, especially mud, but I think I'll make it work. Like the look of the R14s a lot, though haven't seen any real reviews yet. But they aren't available yet for this size.

Starting to think maybe I'll add in the mechanical thumb for the backhoe. Didn't think I'd have much use for it, but I figure maybe it's better to get it now just in case.

Any general buying advice I should be aware of?

Thanks

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'll chime in with probably the standard comments.

I think if you had a grapple on the front, you probably wouldn't need a thumb on the backhoe. They're not quite the same, but similar - I'm not sure what you'd lift with a thumb on a backhoe that you couldn't do with a grapple. And mechanical thumbs are relatively inexpensive after market if it turns out you do have a use for one - perhaps a christmas present from the better half one year.

I'd look hard at a 72 inch mower, because you can. You wouldn't if your grass is very lush (might run out of HP), or very uneven (might scalp). But if your lawn is normal I'd think about it.

If you're mowing the R4 is a good compromise. They're not great in mud, but they won't eat your lawn like R1s would. If you're farming for hobby not for profit, then generally you can just not go out if it's that muddy. My father has about 100 head of sheep, but he doesn't drive his tractor on the farm for 5 months of the year - too wet and makes too much mess. I guess it depends what chores you have - if you have to feed stock then you can't just decide not to go out.

Rumour has it the new 33hp B will be announced in September. If you had interest in that then maybe waiting is a good idea.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I didn't see anything about rear remote(s).

If it's in the budget, get them now. If you ever get a back blade or similar device, you'll want a "top and tilt".

I went with one, very much regret not getting two.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
I would look at the width of tractor vs the 60"mm make sure decks sticks out a few inches past rears tires for building , tree close cutting etc. My dealer saved from mistake of buying the 54" on my B2601. 60" deck I've let thick grass grow off site back in June and July getting 18 days between mowing with no trouble cutting. I'm positive if I had set up you are looking at 72" would cut it.

Grass clippings could have been picked up for hay though lol

FarmFreshKS

Equipment
MX5800, ZD221
Aug 13, 2019
Kansas City
I have an MX not a B, so very different use cases... but I wish my MX had ag tires. Everything from mud to filling the loader, the tires slip so much more than my last tractor that had Ag. I***8217;ll probably especially notice when discing and plowing.

FarmFreshKS

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Thanks guys.

On the mower size, I've had the same concerns about how far the 60" deck will stick out past the wheels. After sitting on them numerous times though, and reading many reviews, I think it'll be alright. Besides that it kind of has to be. I will need to trailer this setup at least once a month during the growing season and the 72" deck won't fit on my trailer. And if I get a wider trailer, it won't fit through the garage door where I keep my trailer in the winter.

The only thing that has my considering the backhoe thumb is being able to grab rocks and place them where I can't with a grapple. In particular this fall I may be helping to armor the banks around a culvert with somewhat larger size stone. But then again doing that with the backhoe seems like it would be an extremely tedious process. Beyond that, I'm not sure what I'd use the thumb for.

The tires thing, been agonizing over that one for a while. At first I definitely want R1, my decision to go to R4 was more based on stability when working with the FEL and backhoe. But then I saw a B2650 with R1s in person, and the lugs on those front wheels seemed really aggressive and I started to worry just a bit about them tearing things up. I grew up mowing grass with R1s, but they weren't quite that aggressive, especially up front. But I definitely do get into some wet stuff now and then. A lot of times I use the backhoe to drain areas or put in culverts on trails.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Thanks guys.

TThe tires thing, been agonizing over that one for a while. At first I definitely want R1, my decision to go to R4 was more based on stability when working with the FEL and backhoe. But then I saw a B2650 with R1s in person, and the lugs on those front wheels seemed really aggressive and I started to worry just a bit about them tearing things up. I grew up mowing grass with R1s, but they weren't quite that aggressive, especially up front. But I definitely do get into some wet stuff now and then. A lot of times I use the backhoe to drain areas or put in culverts on trails.
When I bought my B2650 a year ago I was waffling between the tire choices. Wanted the turfs for mowing but also R4s for light field work, backhoe etc. As a final "deal maker" I asked if the dealer would also include the other set of tires. They came back at a price pretty near their cost and I couldn't refuse. With a floor jack and air wrench they can be swapped in a few minutes time (well under 1/2 hour). The only drawback is you have another set of wheels to store inside somewhere. But it sure is nice to be able to switch between them when the job calls for it. The R4s have worked just fine for me in the winter snow here in North Dakota. But my ground is pretty flat where they're used. You might try the same negotiations and get both sets of tires that you'd like. I don't regret it a bit. :D

My package: B2650HST Rops, backhoe, loader with SSQT, 3rd function, and both turf and R4 tires. I also made sure I got the normal seat suspension parts that were removed and replaced with the swivel seat parts for the backhoe installation. I've never put them back on when not using the backhoe but at least I have them.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Finally sold my BX23. Thinking about ordering its replacement tomorrow or early next week. The plan is:

- B2650 HST ROPS
- FEL with SSQA, 60" bucket, LP forks
- Third function for future grapple
- 60" mid-mount mower
- Backhoe with 16"bucket
- R4 tires

Debated between R4 and R1 tires; like the idea of the R4 for more stability and puncture resistance. Concerned about traction in mud and snow, especially mud, but I think I'll make it work. Like the look of the R14s a lot, though haven't seen any real reviews yet. But they aren't available yet for this size.

Starting to think maybe I'll add in the mechanical thumb for the backhoe. Didn't think I'd have much use for it, but I figure maybe it's better to get it now just in case.

Any general buying advice I should be aware of?

Thanks
If I was buying one at this time, I would specify R14T tires unless it was intended to be primarily a lawn mowing tractor, in which case I would specify turfs.

Not sure if the single lever hydraulic FEL manifold is available for the 2650 yet, but if not, it will be soon. Something to consider.

SDT

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
I'd probably go with R14T tires but the dealers are still telling me they aren't available for the B2650.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
If I was buying one at this time, I would specify R14T tires unless it was intended to be primarily a lawn mowing tractor, in which case I would specify turfs.

Not sure if the single lever hydraulic FEL manifold is available for the 2650 yet, but if not, it will be soon. Something to consider.

SDT
I'm good with the individual couplers. Read some places where people have had issues with leaking coupler manifolds. I don't know if that's a common problem or not, but dealing with four hoses is no big deal to me.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
I didn't see anything about rear remote(s).

If it's in the budget, get them now. If you ever get a back blade or similar device, you'll want a "top and tilt".

I went with one, very much regret not getting two.
I just ordered a B2650 with a BH77 on it and the dealer told me I would have to go after market if I wanted a rear remote since the backhoe hydraulics are installed Kubota won’t do it from factory. I didn’t mind as I don’t think I will do much that will require TNT, maybe the dealer was full of it :confused:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I hope it's not too late to mention Kubota's ratcheting lift rod kit for the 3 pt. hitch. That was a last minute addition to my order and it sure is a nice feature, especially for the little added expense.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I just ordered a B2650 with a BH77 on it and the dealer told me I would have to go after market if I wanted a rear remote since the backhoe hydraulics are installed Kubota won’t do it from factory. I didn’t mind as I don’t think I will do much that will require TNT, maybe the dealer was full of it :confused:
SMKK, a rear remote was also included in my B2650 TLB build from the factory. The local dealer installed everything. The only issue was that the rear remote had to be disconnected in order to install and use the backhoe. By the use of quick couplers they made that pretty easy. I've only used the rear remote once and removed it last winter to put my home made cab on. I haven't had the need this summer for the rear remote so it's sitting in a cabinet at the present. If you'd like or have need of any pictures of this setup I'd be more than happy to take some for you. Might have to wait til after the upcoming holiday weekend (that would give me some time to find it and figure out how it was mounted again!) :D

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
Thanks for the offer bird_dogger, but right now I dont see a need for the TNT for what I will do with the tractor, so please enjoy the weekend! Maybe in a couple years I might explore it but for now most of what I will do wont require it.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
I hope it's not too late to mention Kubota's ratcheting lift rod kit for the 3 pt. hitch. That was a last minute addition to my order and it sure is a nice feature, especially for the little added expense.
Thanks for the tip, that is something I had considered but forgotten about. For me though, it's probably not worth it. For what I'll use this tractor for, I really just won't use the 3ph all that much.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Tractor is built. I'm going up today to do the final paperwork. They're scheduling delivery for tomorrow.

Excited and nervous at the same time. Excited to get the new toy, nervous about regretting some of the decisions I made.

My storage situation is also a little goofy right now. I'm kind of in between living situations right now, getting married in a couple months. Won't be able to store it where I'm going to live immediately, but we're looking at building next year and I have some jobs for it right now which is why I didn't wait. Going to probably have to store it with the backhoe in one place and the rest in another for a bit. I'm thinking I'm going to put up a carport for storage shortly, and then down the road I'd like to have it in a garage and I'll have other uses for the carport.

mcicero

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, BH77, Land Pride SGC0660
Aug 30, 2019
York, ME
SMKK, a rear remote was also included in my B2650 TLB build from the factory. The local dealer installed everything. The only issue was that the rear remote had to be disconnected in order to install and use the backhoe. By the use of quick couplers they made that pretty easy. I've only used the rear remote once and removed it last winter to put my home made cab on. I haven't had the need this summer for the rear remote so it's sitting in a cabinet at the present. If you'd like or have need of any pictures of this setup I'd be more than happy to take some for you. Might have to wait til after the upcoming holiday weekend (that would give me some time to find it and figure out how it was mounted again!) :D
I am looking to install this on my tractor and also have the factory backhoe. I would love to see some pictures on how it was installed and set up. Thanks.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I'd say your plan is solid and you'll be very please with it. I'd also agree with Bird Dogger and make sure they give you both sets of seat parts. Personally, I kept the regular seat as is and the swivel seat parts are sitting in the mancave collecting dust. The 60" bucket is the right choice, wish I did that. It's really a good little work horse and I'm sure I'll give out before the B does. Enjoy.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I am looking to install this on my tractor and also have the factory backhoe. I would love to see some pictures on how it was installed and set up. Thanks.
Re: rear remote with backhoe installed
mcicero, it might take me a little while but I'll get that rear remote out and get a few pics for you. I won't mount it back on the tractor as I'm about to put the cab back on for the winter. But some pics should show what's involved in the hookup. The valve and its bracket gets attached to the rops on the right side above the fender. You basically swap its hose connections for the backhoe's depending which one is in use at the time. It also has a no pressure return line to the hydraulic sump. When I remove the rear remote for the cab install I just disconnect the hydraulic return line at the valve body and put a hydraulic cap on it and secure it to the rops. All the other connections are quick couplers and matched so they only go on one way.

If you don't see it in a week or so, send me a pm and I'll get on it. :)

Regards,
David

Edit: I can't say if it was a Kubota factory unit or not. But it was ordered at the same time as my tractor and installed by the dealership.