OEM parts vs aftermarket parts

rcblattner

Equipment
L2350
Jul 11, 2019
Russiaville, Indiana
Do all dealers sell parts for the same price? Is it worth buying aftermarket parts vs buying the OEM parts? Seems like anything through my local Kubota dealer is through the roof.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Do all dealers sell parts for the same price? Is it worth buying aftermarket parts vs buying the OEM parts? Seems like anything through my local Kubota dealer is through the roof.
You can buy OEM from other stores like Messaicks and have them shipped to your home ground. This topic comes up regularly. OEM will keep your tractors warranty valid. Why go aftermarket when the micron ratings are all different for each filter. With OEM you will be supplied the correct micron rating, bypass pressure ratings, etc. I would not go cheap to save a dime as rebuilding tractors are expensive :)

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Easiest way to check would be to look at one of the well known online merchants - Barlows or Messicks - and see if there's a material difference in price.

As with anything, OEM is a known quantity. Some aftermarket parts are excellent, some are not. Some types of part are more important than others - I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to have an OEM hydraulic hose, I might for engine parts.

If you don't have the experience or confidence to know which parts you care about, or to work out which after market providers look reliable, I'd say you're safer to stick with OEM parts. That even extends to things like fluids - they're not well standardised, and in the end I decided easier to run SUDT in my BX.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'm thankful Kubota continues to make reliable parts and stock them at a reasonable price for many years after the machine was made. In fact I find that the same parts on a Kubota are often cheaper than the same kind of part of say New Holland or Deere.

I don't see many aftermarket tractor parts other than filters, hoses, mower blades, fluids and belts.

When it comes to filters Kubota makes very good quality parts and I wouldn't skimp on them and I only buy OEM. If it's motor oil or mower blades I'm not married to having a Kubota sticker on it.

Support Kubota's good service by buying OEM parts. Not all dealers are the same and I support the ones that provide the best service.

I wouldn't risk buying mystery orange stickered parts from ebay or amazon unless they come from a reputable Kubota dealer. Your dealer needs to make a living too. Having more than one local dealer to get pricing on keeps them honest in pricing.