Kubota Grand L4760 vs Kubota M7060

LDowney

Equipment
Kubota MX6000
Hey guys. Need some advice. I've owned two Grand L tractors over the past few years and have been pleased with both tractors. With my tractor business, I would like to move up to the 7 foot bush hog (BH27) and I would certainly need more HP to accomplish that. My tractor business consists of 40% bush hogging and 40% box scraping gravel driveways. The other 20% is snow removal, auger, garden tilling and grapple work. My concerns are moving from an HST tractor to the hydraulic shuttle. Not worried so much bush hogging, but when I do gravel driveways, I go in and out of gravel piles often. A buddy of mine earlier today told me it's just something different to get used to. I just wonder from other shuttle shift users, is it very cumbersome using the shuttle shifter if you are going from forward to reverse frequently in your projects?

I feel moving up from the L4760 to M7060 the pros out weigh the shuttle shifter concerns. Going from 49 HP to 71 HP will solve my lack of HP issue. The 7 foot bush hog should be no problem behind the M7060. I am having the dealership install the Industrial R4 tires instead of the AG tires. AG tires are terrible at packing gravel driveways. The R4 tires do a great job packing inclines and the added 2k pounds in the M7060 will pack it even better.

Any advice you guys can offer or things maybe I have not thought of going from the L4760 to M7060 would be greatly appreciated.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Every Kubota I owned was HST until I bought my first M9000 Hydraulic Shuttle in 2006. There was no 'getting used to' curve at all other than instead of using your foot to change direction, you use your left hand.

To me, a hydraulic shuttle is just like an HST without the power loss and extra heat. Direction changes are quick and smooth because the travelling clutch pack (wet) is modulated hydraulically so direction changes are smooth.

I'd never go back to an HST but I would consider a CVT as an alternative.

LDowney

Equipment
Kubota MX6000
Every Kubota I owned was HST until I bought my first M9000 Hydraulic Shuttle in 2006. There was no 'getting used to' curve at all other than instead of using your foot to change direction, you use your left hand.

To me, a hydraulic shuttle is just like an HST without the power loss and extra heat. Direction changes are quick and smooth because the travelling clutch pack (wet) is modulated hydraulically so direction changes are smooth.

I'd never go back to an HST but I would consider a CVT as an alternative.
Thank you for the advice. Very sound and helpful.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hey guys. Need some advice. I've owned two Grand L tractors over the past few years and have been pleased with both tractors. With my tractor business, I would like to move up to the 7 foot bush hog (BH27) and I would certainly need more HP to accomplish that. My tractor business consists of 40% bush hogging and 40% box scraping gravel driveways. The other 20% is snow removal, auger, garden tilling and grapple work. My concerns are moving from an HST tractor to the hydraulic shuttle. Not worried so much bush hogging, but when I do gravel driveways, I go in and out of gravel piles often. A buddy of mine earlier today told me it's just something different to get used to. I just wonder from other shuttle shift users, is it very cumbersome using the shuttle shifter if you are going from forward to reverse frequently in your projects?

I feel moving up from the L4760 to M7060 the pros out weigh the shuttle shifter concerns. Going from 49 HP to 71 HP will solve my lack of HP issue. The 7 foot bush hog should be no problem behind the M7060. I am having the dealership install the Industrial R4 tires instead of the AG tires. AG tires are terrible at packing gravel driveways. The R4 tires do a great job packing inclines and the added 2k pounds in the M7060 will pack it even better.

Any advice you guys can offer or things maybe I have not thought of going from the L4760 to M7060 would be greatly appreciated.
Which transmission you need depends upon what you plan to do.

HST transmissions are wonderfully convenient but inefficient and (for the time being) limited to about 50+ PTO HP.

Gear type Hydraulic shuttle transmissions are less expensive, more efficient and available in larger HP tractors.

This is why I own an L6060 and a M9960. I use each for different tasks.

SDT