Infinite height bucket level indicator

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
I decided to try my hand at building a level indicator that would work at any height. I wanted it mainly for my hang-on pallet forks since they are impossible to see from the seat to know if they are level. Here is what I came up with. The linkage from the bucket rotates the white dial that is made from a piece of 4” PVC. It has two marks on it for the bucket and forks. The pointer is connected back to the loader frame just below the boom pivot point. The bucket linkage took some trial and error to get it to work but it all works great.

Attachments

st8yd

Equipment
2003 L3130 HST, LA513, Pats easy hitch
Dec 11, 2017
central FL
Looks good, that was what I was originally wanting to do.
What happens when you tilt your bucket all the way down as if to dump it, it doesn't appear to have enough travel?

st8yd

Equipment
Dec 11, 2017
central FL
Good job, I was concerned if I shortened the throw that much it wouldn't be accurate enough.

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
Looks a lot like the one I built several years ago. I added a second indicator to show both the current height and where it would be when at ground level.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
Good job, I was concerned if I shortened the throw that much it wouldn't be accurate enough.
I did not shorten the throw of the dial linkage. The distance from the dial center to the link connection is the same as the bucket pivot pin to link connection distance. That makes the total angle of the dial rotation the same as the bucket rotation angle. The link rod length is the same as the distance from the dial center to the bucket pivot pin. The pointer linkage is the same parallel setup. Any time the pointer is on the line, the bucket is level no matter what height it is at.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
Looks a lot like the one I built several years ago. I added a second indicator to show both the current height and where it would be when at ground level.
Your design was the inspiration for mine. I found the image searching the web for designs. Thank you!

st8yd

Equipment
Dec 11, 2017
central FL
I did not shorten the throw of the dial linkage. The distance from the dial center to the link connection is the same as the bucket pivot pin to link connection distance. That makes the total angle of the dial rotation the same as the bucket rotation angle. The link rod length is the same as the distance from the dial center to the bucket pivot pin. The pointer linkage is the same parallel setup. Any time the pointer is on the line, the bucket is level no matter what height it is at.
Ya I saw that. Mine is 9.5" from pivot to link connection, so I would have had to shorten it substantially for it to work, the total throw on mine is about 18" as it sits.

For the bucket I really only need it "level" while grading, however I would like my forks to be level at any height so I am planning on doing a pendulum type indicator.
But I like what how you did yours and still may add that to the other side.
I had in mind to use a 4" test cap so a hole could be drilled in center to pivot on.

Last edited: