Backhoe dolly measurements.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
I was thinking about making one for my bx23s.. took some measurements and found it was about 4 feet long curled up then remembered I had one of my old carts from the Howard Hughes factory in van Nuys ca and it was a perfect fit... very stable.. just have to use my cherry picker to lift the bucket side up once detached from the tractor..

I have a thing for carts.. very handy when moving 400 to 1300 pound generators around

Attachments

Last edited:

rxdad2012

Equipment
2020 Kubota BX23S and 1978 Ford 2600
Aug 7, 2020
Claiborne County, TN
I got them today, now I just have to draw up a set of prints and scan them.
For those that want the piece list....

1 1/4 squre tubing.
54 1/4 x2
27 x1
11 x1
16 x1
1/8 thick 2 inch angle 1 inch long x2
1/8 thick pad 3 3/4 x 2 1/2 x4
Fixed castor that is 6 inch high x2
Swivel castor 6 inch high x2

The pads match the castor. If you use different castors, make the pads to match. Critical part is that castor is 6 inch high, not the wheel size, castor height.
Most of the tubing is boxed in the end. looks great, but not necessary. Some of the ends are also cut at an angle so it looks better but again, not necessary. I will mark the ones that are angled on the picture. I cut mine at 8 degrees.
I know this post is pretty old now but would anyone happen to know the overall height of the bxpanded dolly? From floor to top of 1&1/4 tubing? Ive seen different ranges on the homemade dollies—from 6&3/4 to about 8.5 inches. Thanks

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I have been looking at the BXpanded backhoe dolly for my BX25D and for $180, I finally decided to pull the trigger. Went to order it and found out it will be $60 shipping and handling. That kind of put me over the limit so I was wondering if anyone who has bought one could pull a tape measure and send me the specs so I can build my own during the Winter. Tubing size, wall thickness, length of pieces, dimensions of where the cross pieces are welded and over all height off the ground of the dolly. Thanks in advance for any help that your willing to give,
Russ
You spent $20K+ on a SCUT and you can't afford $240 for a BH dolly?

LOL I can't get my head around the idea you want to fab one up. You have the skills to fab one but you don't have a tape measure to measure your own BH?

rxdad2012

Equipment
Aug 7, 2020
Claiborne County, TN
You spent $20K+ on a SCUT and you can't afford $240 for a BH dolly?

LOL I can't get my head around the idea you want to fab one up. You have the skills to fab one but you don't have a tape measure to measure your own BH?
Sometimes it’s about making something on your own, Mike. Actually, im trying to learn to weld and this is a decent project to tinker with. I own several measuring tapes, and I’ve actually built a wooden version based on my measurements, which didn’t end up working out. Thought maybe if I had one certain measurement i needed, it would save me from scrapping some 1&1/2 tube steel later on….

Are you always so condescending to people?
[edit]: Oh wait, i see you are from Canada. It all makes sense now LOL

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
we may be in Canada, but we can buy booze ANYWHERE ! TN still has 'dry' counties , right ??:)

BTW some of us Canucks, prefer to bodge and build before buying........

Reactions: 1 user

rxdad2012

Equipment
Aug 7, 2020
Claiborne County, TN
we may be in Canada, but we can buy booze ANYWHERE ! TN still has 'dry' counties , right ??:)

BTW some of us Canucks, prefer to bodge and build before buying........
I like you, Jay! Maybe you have changed my limited outlook on some of the canucks!

Apologies to the good canadians i may have offended. I like your version of bacon by the way!

Got any pics of something you’ve built? Im in healthcare and didn’t take shop in high school so im learning some of this stuff while flying blind

Last edited:

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
I built one of wood some years ago. My garage lean-to isn’t fully enclosed so it has degraded a bit. It may be time to replicate it in metal. Thanks for reviving this thread and the good natured cross- border ribbing;)

Gfranzen

Equipment
Kubota BX24, backhoe, bucket, blade, box grader, tiller, log splitter
Jan 20, 2024
Shelton, WA
I got them today, now I just have to draw up a set of prints and scan them.
For those that want the piece list....

1 1/4 squre tubing.
54 1/4 x2
27 x1
11 x1
16 x1
1/8 thick 2 inch angle 1 inch long x2
1/8 thick pad 3 3/4 x 2 1/2 x4
Fixed castor that is 6 inch high x2
Swivel castor 6 inch high x2

The pads match the castor. If you use different castors, make the pads to match. Critical part is that castor is 6 inch high, not the wheel size, castor height.
Most of the tubing is boxed in the end. looks great, but not necessary. Some of the ends are also cut at an angle so it looks better but again, not necessary. I will mark the ones that are angled on the picture. I cut mine at 8 degrees.
I just had to thank you for the specs you provided that allowed me to build the backhoe dolly. I have struggled putting it on and taking it off for years. I hated doing it so much I would turn down the occasional paying job. I would only deal with it if I had to. I’m 73 and just completed a welding course at our Jr college. I made it with 100% materials I had on hand. I just thought I would test it out and took the backhoe off and on 3 times in less than 15 minutes. WOW! That is going to make life much easier. The only change I made was 1” square tube with 3/16” walls and I only had 5” casters. I made a few modifications and BINGO it worked perfectly. I can tell you that if I was selling Kubotas I wouldn’t sell one with out a dolly. Thanks again so much.

Attachments

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I know this post is pretty old now but would anyone happen to know the overall height of the bxpanded dolly? From floor to top of 1&1/4 tubing? Ive seen different ranges on the homemade dollies—from 6&3/4 to about 8.5 inches. Thanks
`
I bought mine used for $100 US and put my backhoe on it for the first time this fall. I didn't have the instructions, so I fought with it until I figured out how to release the locks on the backhoe to remove it. It is out in the carport and I can get a measurement in the morning.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Just came in from taking the measurement. It is 7 1/2" from the ground to the top of the side rale of the BXpanded backhoe dolly.