B7100HST (new model) pedal sticks in forward

Bakerretreat

Equipment
1994 B7100 HST 4X4
Dec 15, 2010
Northwest Florida
1994 B7100 HST 4x4. Yesterday when my 9 yr old grandson was driving, the forward motion on the HST pedal stuck. Fortunately he listened to instructions before driving and immediately throttled it down to stall. When I pulled up on the pedal it seems to want to slip inward. The lubrication zert is well lubed, but it feels like something may have worn out or come loose that keeps the pedal pushed out from the frame. There is a little play if you pull the pedal in and out sideways. You can bring it back to neutral by lifting it back up, but if your in motion it disengages too fast and about throws you off.

Another question. I understand the mechanics of the cooling system but just would like to know if there is an aftermarket water pump, inline pump, or some other secret to circulating the water. I use it in NW Florida and it gets pretty hot here. I've pulled the radiator, flushed, replaced hoses and belt. I'm thinking about maybe an auxiliary electric fan in front of the radiator.

1994 B7100 HST 4x4

Last but not least. When looking in the parts manual I can not determine which wire harness is the one I need. The plug connector, has about 9 wires or so, located behind the dash, lower than the ignition switch has come apart with age. It is a white plastic plug. I'm looking to replace the harness but the manual just states harness 1, harness 2 etc...

Any help greatly appreciated.

This little tractor is an absolute beast and has made up my mind that if I ever replace it, it will be another Kubota.

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
Take the cover off over the transmission where the filter is located and lubricate the "cruise control" linkage as well as the pedal linkage, I use Permatex "Superlube" don't to forget to grease the foot pedal pivot, it has a grease fitting. as for your over heating, Kubota makes a high suction fan,
Part number is 15531-74110 and there is one on ebay right now for sale.
6100 and 7100 would overheat this solved the problem.

Big Kahuna

Bakerretreat

Equipment
1994 B7100 HST 4X4
Dec 15, 2010
Northwest Florida
Looking down from the the top of the frame where the Hydraulic filter is; this is the area of the problem. Remove the mower deck. Recommend cleaning first, saves the eyes. On the right (starboard) side of the frame on the inside, directly down from the first photo you should see the attachment to the HST pedal. There should be a steel roller that travels along a steel track when the pedal is placed in forward or reverse. In the photos you can see, somehow the track has bent, or maybe worn and allowed the roller to come off track and stick when in forward. I used a pry bar and moved the track about 1/8th inch and all seems to be working fine. I've put about 20 hours on since the repair and no problems.

Attachments

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
Looking down from the the top of the frame where the Hydraulic filter is; this is the area of the problem.
Old thread I know, but just want to say thanks for Orange Tractor Talks, and specifically the Bakerretreat for this thread.

My pedal started sticking in forward last week, and it was most unnerving when it first occurred.

I tried shifting the "neutral holder arm" (that's what's called) with with a screw driver as described above, but the roller would not track straight, and wanted to pull from the correct position and toward the edge of the track (neutral holder) whenever pressing down on the forward pedal.

Photos by Bakerretreat

2nd photo, From below I noticed the post, next to the filter, that the spring was attached to would wobble/pull to side when pressing the forward pedal. And I could wiggle it by hand from above.

So I removed the post, which had two nuts on top securing it (thought one was a jam nut) and removed the entire linkage for inspection, cleaning, lubrication.

Then It dawned on me that someone previous to my ownership had installed that threaded post incorrectly.

Correct install: One nut went on the post first, screwed all the way to the bottom, insert the post up through the plate, with the washer and second nut on top.

With the linkage installed, reaching with my fingers down through the access hole next to the filter, pull the post up as far as possible taking up all spring slack and spin the top nut down as far as possible by hand, then adjust the spring tension further with a wrench, and when satisfied with spring tension, spin that bottom nut up as far as possible, then lock it all down with the top nut.

Now the "neutral holder arm" tracks perfect, and that post is rock solid.

And as a side note, when reinstalling the "neutral holder arm" there's a groove in the plate that the bolt passes through, and the long side points to 12 o'clock. For further neutral adjustment consult the repair manual.

Thanks Bakerretreat and Orange Tractor Talks.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Another question. I understand the mechanics of the cooling system but just would like to know if there is an aftermarket water pump, inline pump, or some other secret to circulating the water. I use it in NW Florida and it gets pretty hot here. I've pulled the radiator, flushed, replaced hoses and belt. I'm thinking about maybe an auxiliary electric fan in front of the radiator.

Baker,

Old post .....
I bet you never see this ...but for others who have a B7100............

If you understand the mechanics of the thermosyphon system, you know several things. Hot water rises and cold sinks. The problem arises when either the water system is not full or the system cannot dissipate the heat as well as it should.

1st - do not run 50-50 anitfreeze in it. Run more water than antifreeze - and in your neck of the woods, you could almost run pure water. Why you ask? Water does a much better job of picking up the heat and then getting rid of the heat than a ethylene glycol mix. We use the mix to extended the top and bottom of the limits of the system, but it really does not work as well as pure water. 70-30 is fine in areas that will have a hard freeze.

Make double sure the radiator is clean (outside - you go the inside covered!;))- compressed air is the best solution, does your machine still have the factory cover? If not - it will suck in a LOT of chafe and dust in the air.
Even with the factory cover - it will still get stuff buried in every nook and cranny of the radiator.

The factory fan is fine if it is tightened properly. Rather than help the cooling system with more air - check the temps of the system. I bought one of those cheap laser point thermometers from lowes. Allows you to spot check all points in the system.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_73790-56005-IRT207_0__?productId=3136869&Ntt=

but what made ME feel better is cutting the upper radiator hose and placing a thermometer in the system to allow me to see what temps are going on.

Total cost was about $45 - worth every nickle!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
85Hokie, can you confirm the size of the temp. sensor fitting? Is it 32mm? There have been a couple discussions on this subject and there seems to be different opinions of dia.

I'm going to do the same for my B7100. Give all your "Bird Dog" information, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel!! Thanks. len

travelrider73

Equipment
B7100HST & L3200HST
Jan 25, 2024
Florida
Old post .....
I bet you never see this ...but for others who have a B7100............
I just needed this thread today (January 27, 2024 and the 9 year old mentioned by OP is about 20 now!), so thank you.
It's never too late to add valuable information to these posts. Someone will need the informative threads someday and good search engines will find it for people! Thanks again.