Kubota L 295 DT

ABruce

Equipment
L295dt
Jun 23, 2016
Armstrong BC
I was working my tractor a little too hard today and the tie rod pulled right out of the shaft. They must be original as their are no grease nipples on them. They are shot. The one end is M20 by 1 rh thread I think the other end is left hand thread. I can not find a listing anywhere for a left hand thread one for sale. The threads are too bad to see for sure. My plan is to buy two new ends put them in the shaft and braze them in place. The brass should replace the missing threads. If I ever need to get them apart I could but honestly if they wear as well as the first set, they will out last the rest of the unit. Any advice on getting a set of them?
thanks
Bruce

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Napa carries tie rod ends, they should be able to match them up.

ABruce

Equipment
L295dt
Jun 23, 2016
Armstrong BC
Thanks, I have been thru Moog and TRW books no one seems to have a metric 20 by 1 they are all 20 by 1.5 I am still searching
I appreciate the response.

zuric

Equipment
L2050DT, B7000 grey mkt. ! Workbull 202 Massey,650 John Deere, 3444 Int.
Feb 12, 2017
Ava Mo.
Buy a tie rod coupler, weld it on the shaft. thread in the new matching tie rod end, job done.
Just be sure the tie rod matches the socket. Measure diameter of socket top and bottom, or the existing tapered tie rod .
MOOG has a nice calculator, plug in your figures, gives selection available.
Will it work/last ?
Old mechanic taught me this in 1974. F-150 4WD, 30,000 miles. Pulled a tie rod stud out bouncing across a pasture after a hammer-headed old cow. New tie rod 'assembly'..one piece..was available ONLY from Ford..about 150 bucks. Lot of money, those days.
Cut rod, welded new coupler on, threaded in new tie rod..about 20 bucks. Lasted 15 years..till I sold the truck. Hauled a lot of cattle at 70 miles an hour, pulling a 16' trailer....
I would be dubious about brazing them..as you discovered, lots of pressure on those ends.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Zuric's suggestion is a good fix. You weld it correctly and it'll last as long as the original, if not longer.

When you weld a round shaft don't just cut it off and weld it to the other part.

Grind back a ways, like 3/8" to 1/2" depending on space, 1/2 the diameter of each rod. Do this on both parts to be welded. Chamfer the edges to get good weld penetration all around. Then match them up and weld. I'll post a sketch.

Attachments

zuric

Equipment
L2050DT, B7000 grey mkt. ! Workbull 202 Massey,650 John Deere, 3444 Int.
Feb 12, 2017
Ava Mo.
D2s' welding pic is good stuff.
I use couplers, tho..hollow, threaded pieces. Would be best to turn the old rod down to a slip fit, if possible.
Lacking that, chamfer, tack, line up the coupling, and burn rod ! The beauty of it all is..you are no longer forced to buy proprietary...read: (stupidly expensive parts).
They probably save 5 bucks by making a 1 piece unit.. leaving you with hundreds of dollars repair bills when it fails.