Woodland Mills 3pt Stumpgrinder: review

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
How are you holding the LCD on the hood? I would like to put a camera on the tractor when I'm using the pallet forks, but I don't know how to hold the LCD when I'm using it.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
How are you holding the LCD on the hood? I would like to put a camera on the tractor when I'm using the pallet forks, but I don't know how to hold the LCD when I'm using it.
its on a suction cup mount & it also came with a magnetic mount...

was afraid of scuffing the paint, so went with the suction cup. :D

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
still learning as i go...

the camera is a HUGE difference on all the cranking your head around a zillion times.

first is to line up over your start point.

then as you take your passes you learn how to scoot over a little at a time with the camera. kinda like backing a trailer... same method.

this morning it was 26* & windy, but wanted to see how far i could get in the cold before my fingers froze up.

had on my thermals, boggin, gloves.. stayed at it till my fingers started hurting.

got 2 old small stumps that were just high enough to hit the mower blades, pretty easy. less than 5 minutes each.

got 2 ASH that were about 18" across, about 20 mins each

got 2 Ash that were 24"+ with roots on top of the ground... about 25 mins each.

so in an about 100 mins got 6 done & backdrug the dirt/chips back into the low spots as good as i could.

thing to remember is im not trying to get all the in ground stuff or make big holes.. im just going deep enough to not hit it with the mower after the ground settles.

will probably have to come back with a little fill dirt at the bigger ones next spring.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
gonna come back & bump this post with some updates & info...

got a PM from another member interested in getting one of these.

if your area is like my area where they want about $100 for each stump?

this is a heck of a deal.

but lets get to the changes:

as stated about 6 posts back, lots of this is learning what/how to use your tractor with this piece of equipment.

now that ive said that?

the B2601 DOES run this & you can do it with it. had to learn the feel of it & how much travel & creep you could use.

on soft woods? you could go a bit faster, but ive got all hardwoods to deal with.

brings me to this: it "felt" too hard on my beloved little B2601 & at one point it got a bit too much bite & i thought i was a rodeo cowboy befoer the clutch slipped on it. called WM & they said for me to loosen the slip clutch a little & try again.

DID THAT. then that meant the clutch slipped at every contact. reset the slip clutch by their directions & that put it back like it was to start with. a lot of nibbling & really left me feeling like i was being mean to my B2601.

long end of all this was as you see in my later pix in this thread its on a bigger tractor now.

im sure you guys with 24+ PTO HP have no problems with it. so anyone with a 29 series or 3200 & above should be just fine.

its on my Kioti 4010 now & it just absolutely shreds up the hardwoods stumps now. doesnt throw you around or clutch out... just chews its way thru.

you still should take the recommended bites of 1.5-2.5" inches per pass & i aim for 2" now in ash & just a slow creep forward.

its a fine addition to the PTO tools.... & as good as it was on the B2601..... its much better on a little bigger tractor.

video's of this are just such a PITA to do, but if you get one of these? spend the few extra $$'s & get a video set up!! no more twisting around & craning your neck. just sit in the seat, look forwards & let the equipment do the job!

if ya got questions? will try to answer!

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Was just going to post about this then saw yours! I have a B2620 and was thinking of getting gone of these, though my dealer told me he sells Baumalight. Not sure if there is any big difference?

But that's what I was wondering....do they put a lot of stress on the tractor and 3 point?

I have a whole bunch of maple hardwood stumps and I don't want to bring the backhoe home from work and dig them out, because then I'll have a bigger mess to re-landscape.
Woodland Mills sounds like a great company. But does anyone have experience with the Baumalights?

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
sure! i looked at these & they have a great web page with good diagram of what to expect.

for your tractor you would be looking at the 1p24 model which is identical to the WM24 ive got. so you can expect about the same results.

http://baumalight.com/stumpblaster/en/1p-24.php

if you are just doing maples? it will be fine on your 2620.... move over to hardwoods & you will probably feel just like i did on mine back a few posts.

an occasional one? no big deal. a property full of them? eh... too hard on the small tractor at 21hp at the PTO.

if you get too much bite? yeah it will toss the tractor around & you will feel like your riding a rodeo bull.

just didnt like how it felt to my little gal. made me feel like i was abusing a prom date at a cheap motel.

on the little bigger/heavier tractor? just eats everything up & asks for more.

kinda reminds me of another date. LMAO

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Thanks sdk1968. Maple is hardwood. I have maybe a dozen I want gone. Biggest is maybe 30 inch diametre....rest are 12 to 15.

I can just go slow I guess.

Thanks again for the info.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
long holiday weekend means back on the yard work!

did 14 stumps on sunday & 10 more today!

this thing has already paid for itself & ive still got dozens more trees to cut down & then stumps to do.

havent had the first lick of trouble with it.

but have found out that learning to use it effectively is all about repetition & getting to know the feel of it & your tractor.

today i did some stumps that were "taller" cut off about 12" from teh ground.

was figuring this would make it take a lot longer. was very surprised that it didnt really take that long. & let me get a good feel for how hard each stump was.

foot note: im not making big holes in the ground & trying to do all the roots. im just getting the stumps down a few inches below the surface & back dragging over them.

as long as my mower wont hit them is all im after.

for anyone who is considering one of these?

or if you have a lot of stumps to do?

average price where i live makes doing 15 or more worth buying your own!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
well its been setting too long & finally had some overcast weather with light sprinkles mixed in & out after finishing the mowing.

so got the Sthil out & dropped 5 dead ash trees around the yard near the house...

limbed them out & shoved all that into a pile to woodchipper up later for my woodchipper thread. :D

sawed up the big parts into 60" pieces & threw them in the bucket & made a pile for someone to come get. ( i give the wood away to people who still heat with wood & need help).

then it was stump time!

first thing i found out was that im rusty! took me the first 2 to get good & smooth with it again.

had 16", 19", 24", 26" & 30" stumps to do, & then i went around to any of my previous stumps that had a high spot showing thru the grass/dirt & touched them up too.

took about 2.5hrs to all it all.

gonna drop 4 more from teh front yard this week & then do them the same way. that should take care of most everything up near the house or that needs the stump grinder for this year.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
my primary thought is that your shop is FAR too neat. lol

We just got a bx2200. I'm astounded at all the things you can get to hang on these things. We have 100 or so hedge we need to cut down so we can reforest with desirable trees. Been wondering what I was gonna do with the stumps!

Wish you'd posted some pics.

Take care
David

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
can post you some pix when do the next ones...

what you needing pix of?

let me know so know what to take.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
no problem on pix.

thought i already had them in the thread. will grab some next time im on it.

video's are just a PITA.. cause im on the tractor using it & that makes it tough to take the video.

but if you go back to page #2 you can see what i see in the picture of my camera set up.

will try to grab a short video of it running next time.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
^^^ forgot about the request for pix....

hopped on the tractor last nite & put the WM24 on there.

some things learned as i go:

1. unless you go below grade a good bit, you will always wind up going back in a year or two & taking off some more.

2. If you are just a little more patient & go DEEPER to start with? you wont have to go back.

3. im not very patient.

4. as long as you stay out of rocks & gravel these teeth hold up really well.

to the actual work............

did 6 stumps that were smaller trees. all were less than 12" diameter.

this thing eats those up really good & fast, so actually did go deeper & get these far enough below grade that there is a hole at each spot. which means you need your bucket on the front to backdrag & fill them in.

after that i ran around the parts of the yard that i mow & found any high spots or roots that i missed last season when was still going too shallow.

the main part of using this grinder is learning the feel of it.

when you can take a little bigger bite & when you cant. This just comes with seat time on your tractor & time running this grinder.

even now, will still occasionally get just a little too heavy on the pedal & make her shake a little.

all you gotta do is take your foot off the pedal & let it catch up.

lets get to something ive been asked before about using this.

1. YES the camera is a neck saver if you are gonna do a bunch of stumps.

if you only have 1 or 2 to do? eh skip it. but since i try to "save" mine up for a few hours of use at a time? camera is well worth the set up time.

2. If you are afraid to run your tractor up at recommended PTO speeds (23-2700)? then this really isnt a implement for you to use or bother buying.

3. small bites!! i take about 2-2.5" per pass on soft woods & about 1.5" on hardwoods.

4. find a direction that works for you. sitting in the tractor seat facing forward i start on my right hand side & work into the stump. have already seen guys who like left hand side better & its really about what works best for you & your feel of your tractor.

5. make sure when you set up that you have room for going back & forth because this takes multiple passes. if you have another tree right in front of you? ya gotta pick a different direction to work from.

6. if you are pressed for time? DONT DO THIS RIGHT THEN.

7. use low range! at PTO rpms & low range you really just let the tractor crawl forward thru the stump. If you need anything it will probably be the brakes to make sure its slow enough (if your on flat ground)

hope this helps any of you who are thinking about using one of these.

PS: remember this grinder is NOT designed for clutch tractors!! its specifically designed for HST tractors!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
havent updated this thread for a long time...

got her off the rack today & put it on the tractor & did 6 decent sized stumps. ive got to be over a 100 stumps by this point.

still works just perfect. all ya gotta do is take your time & let the tractor do the work.

while i dont use this every day, its probably one of the best investments ive done with the tractor.