Woodland Mills 3pt Stumpgrinder: review

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
after the chats we had in the other threads, went & ordered it for my B2601. (her name is Fukumie Kobota btw)

gonna try to do a better job of photo & descriptions of what i learn as we go on this thing. So lets get to the first impressions.

Woodland Mills:

sales/communication was excellent & very quick even over Turkey day holidays. They called & verified shipping & delivery locations & then called again to let me know it was on its way. they called again to let me know it had arrived at my local shipper (R&L Carriers). Then R&L called & met me at our shop & we took the fork truck & stuck it in the back of my pick up to head home.

Woodland Mills called a couple hours later to verify that "i" had received the package & not someone else, along with making sure that it had arrived in satisfactory condition.

the answers to this are yes, yes & yes. its well packaged on a steel pallet & angle iron crate & then heavy cardboard all around the outside.

here is what it looked like before i got it off the crate:

Only drawback so far is that this thing ONLY comes in green. :-(

Attachments

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
IN this post will get it off the crate, on the tractor & do the slip clutch break in as the directions require.

currently Fukumie is at the dealer getting her 50hr gyno exam...

If any of you have any tips or insight on this part? please feel free to toss them in.

(insert pix hooked up)

it did weigh in at close to 500lbs on the crate & i did take it off the truck with my Titan pallet forks on the FEL.... which BTW still work perfectly even with the Piranha Tooth Bar still on the bucket. was wondering if it would make any difference at all on using the forks & it did NOT. what i did notice right away was that the loaded rear tires made all the difference in the world about keeping me on the ground instead of the reverse wheelie i had happen when unloading the woodchipper.

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Whats the poster on the bench for?
you mean our WeaponsGuild flag? Thats our Weapons building site. WeaponsGuild.com after my wife & kids its the #1 thing i do. (build guns) THEN my tractor. :)

have those in several locations around benches in my shop.. they serve dual purposes. :)

1. they are a great flag we had made.
2. they "hide" everything under the bench out of site

it wasnt intentional to have that pop in the picture but its hard to take a pic anywhere in my shop without them being visible.

will try to get back to the grinder tonite!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
havent forgot about this ... :)

Fukumie Kubota is at my dealer getting her gyno exam (50hr)..

soon as she gets back home will get this thing mounted up & a test run.

more things ive learned:

HOLY CRAP. that slip clutch shaft is friggin heavy. got it ready to do the break in & got the crate took apart.

mounted the deflector & instruction tube. just nothing else i can do with out the tractor getting back.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
followed the directions to the letter on that slip clutch.

absolutely did NOT work for me at all. LMAO

directions say: mark across the plates... DONE.

measure bolts, record number on spring..... DONE.

loosen all 8 bolts same amount..... DONE.

engage pto for 3 seconds to get clutch to slip/spin.... DONE.

retighten bolts to exact same number..... DONE.

clutch should now slip & work............. NOPE. NOT DONE.

hmmmmmm.. its just as solid now as it was to start with before loosening the bolts & has no slip to it.

what am i missing on this? can one of you guys explain when it "should" slip & when it shouldnt?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd suggest loosening the springs equally a little at a time until it slips, just to be sure it's all together and not do any damage to your tractor. But if you do, you'll have to readjust it tighter. Remember, the clutch is designed to take some torque but give up at a determined resistance.

The only way it really gets tested is to force it to reach that resistance level, and that's probably where you have it adjusted now.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
I'd suggest loosening the springs equally a little at a time until it slips, just to be sure it's all together and not do any damage to your tractor. But if you do, you'll have to readjust it tighter. Remember, the clutch is designed to take some torque but give up at a determined resistance.

The only way it really gets tested is to force it to reach that resistance level, and that's probably where you have it adjusted now.
was hoping you would jump im here & tell me what im doing wrong.

so when i loosened it till it moved... it moved.

but the directions say to tighten the springs back to the exact same measurement (1 & 1/8")... & then it was just solid again no slip..

so in the tractor realm.. whats a little? 1/16"? 1/32'?

how much slip is there supposed to be or when does the slip occur?

is it at engagement of the PTO? or engagement to a stump? or at an overload point during use?

thats kinda where i dont want to make a mistake.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
OK... just got off the phone with WM Tech line...

the directions dont really tell you what you needed to know. heres what the guy told me:

1. hook it up & have it hanging.

2. loosen all 8 nuts evenly.

3. lower onto a stump to hold the teeth.

4. engage pto for 2-3 seconds to make it slip/spin

5. retighten to same measurements.

6. USE IT

the tech guy said that the idea of the slip clutch was only to avoid damage to my tractor if the grinder would bind or get stuck ... as in on a rock in the dirt or someone slamming it into a stump verses nibbling my way in.

said i would not see any "slip" or movement unless it needed it & that with my little tractor it would more than likely stall it before it would slip.

this is a "over thinking it" error on my part.. i was thinking it would slip in use... not that it was just a safety break out.

fair enough! matter resolved. will do these steps when i get home tonite & hope to grind some stumps tomorrow!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
did my first stump tonite!

YEP gonna be a learning curve for sure.

1st thing: i think my quick hitch might be too lightweight for the torque this thing puts out... may need to go to the heavier Q10..

2nd: it was a 12" diameter ash. it was about 3" above ground. just took it down below ground level & backdrug the chips over it. all im after is not hitting stuff with the mower.

3rd: whoa! it sure did bog down the 2601 when i got a little too heavy with it! just like the guy said.. it bogged down the tractor before it ever even attempted to slip. looks like on these hardwoods that gonna need to take about 1" deep per pass!

4th: also i NEVER had enough forward pressure on it for the tilt/relief to come into play.

STILL only took 10 mins to do this stump! :D :D :D

will try more tomorrow! BIGGER ONES!

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Are you going to be able to make a video of it in action? Some photos of it on the tractor and while in action would be good if no video.

Thanks for the reports on it!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I think anybody with a stump grinder under a hundred hp has to learn to ***8216;feather***8217; the feed rate. I also noticed that at times my grinder will shred off wood like banana peels on certain parts of the stump and just make sawdust on other parts.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
well it snowed here today... so didnt get to do any grinding. :mad:

will give it a shot again tomorrow.

might be able to do a bit of video when trying if a kid is available from her homework.

first thing ive seen is that a backup camera hook up would be nice so that you dont ahve to turn around all the time & could stay facing forward & look at a monitor.

im sure someone here has rigged this up that way before.

IF SO? spill da beans!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Latest update:

got home last nite & just couldnt stand it. had to go out fire up Fukumie & try that grinder out some more.

like everything else you guys have taught me here.... there is a definite learning curve with this.

still trying to decide how i like to approach the stumps the best.

right side of the wheel

left side of the wheel

dead center

my first impressions are that it likes it better off center to MY right side.

then you get into the depth of the cut & speed of your movement.

DEPTH: on these ash trees it really only seems to like about 1-1.5" of depth or it really wants to lug the 2601 down.

speed/pressure forward: lets just call it creeping at best.
once you get down out of the bulk of the stump & are just doing roots or final dirt pass? you can go a little quicker.

ive read a lot of reviews & comments on guys using this grinder now..... many of them with 25 or 2601's..... several with JD's of the same size... they all say with the small tractor its about learning what your tractor does.

i agree. BUT DO feel like a few more HP at that PTO & more weight would probably be a huge improvement on this.

one other thing to mention: with my quick hitch in the setup of this, im getting a LOT of deflection/movement & if you get the slightest bit too heavy in your bite? its like your riding a BULL at the rodeo!

took these stumps down to just a couple inches below ground level & then backdrug the chips/dirt into the hole. will ad grass seed in early spring.

NO didnt bother with pix, was too excited to play with the toy.... but will try to get some tonite.

all in all did 3 stumps. 18" at base (2o mins), 26" at base(35 mins) & then weird shaped one that was 24" across with top roots on the ground(20 mins).

other quick note: man my neck is stiff this morning from all that turned around twisted in the seat. really need to get that camera set up on this!

Bayoudude

May 24, 2017
Houma LA
Thanks for your review. I am looking to purchase one soon for my L4701. I bought some timberland and there are pine stumps everywhere from the thinning. Most are 12” diameter or less as the trees were about 12 years old. And just high enough to bust up my rotary cutter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
man i wouldnt think you would have any issues with a tractor that big on one of these....

pretty sure that once i learn all the ins/outs of using this that it will be fine on my 2601....

but anyone with a bigger, heavier, stronger tractor will probably get the hang of it much quicker than me on my baby.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
got a hold of my friendly sales staff at crutchfield & got me a rear view set up on the way....

this should do away with the neck strain (yes ive got a couple bad disks) & make this a lot easier looking forward way to go.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
will do!

camera got here & is setting on the bench..... then i got put on hold.

wife was sick & wanted me to baby her. (done)

wife decided there would be no more tree work this week, she wants me to wait till Xmas weekend when we are both off. :(

sigh.

but dont worry. it will resume.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
well there were a lot of changes here at the little house...

but did get the camera installed today. im not planning on leaving it on the tractor, as im only gonna use it for the grinder.

so here is a mounting picture on the grinder &on the hood with the view you
get from the seat.

its just too wet & mushy to be out in the yard right now.....

so ive got to impatiently wait for it to freeze or dry up.

Attachments