Tooth Bar Review (BXPanded - Piranha)

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
I used mine today on some roots, it worked better than without one. I haven't done much digging or brush clearing yet. Overall I'm happy with it. I like it as much for the little extra capacity it gives the bucket.

Last edited:

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I used mine today on some roots, it worked better than without one. I have done much digging or brush clearing yet. Overall I'm happy with it.
Glad you like it, nice to get such helpful and good advice on this site...sure has made my tractor better & wallet lighter.

grandmajo

Equipment
BX2670 w/FEL, MMM & Back Blade
Aug 15, 2015
Montpelier
I'm wondering how well this would work to clean manure out of a barn? This is a goat barn, so there's alot of straw mixed in. I currently have a bolt on set of debris forks, but they're about 2 ft. long and widely spaced. And they tend to make the manure pack roll. If this would cut through the pack that would be awesome.

Any opinions? Or someone whose using this for a similar application?

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
My experience with goat barn is yes this will work as long as you do it reasonably frequently - say 4 times a year. In my climate goats were on a pack for the winter and I never found anything small enough to work in barn and large enough to break up the pack. Ended up doing it by hand which is why I no longer have a dairy goat operation.

grandmajo

Equipment
BX2670 w/FEL, MMM & Back Blade
Aug 15, 2015
Montpelier
Thanks, that helps alot. I bed with sand half the year and straw the other half with at least 3 cleanouts during the straw period.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have been thinking about buying the PTB but I wonder how effective it would be in very rocky soil. Does anyone have experience with digging out a lot of rocks with the PTB? I also wonder about durability of the bar in the stated work conditions.

Last edited:

sodak

Dec 28, 2015
Sioux Falls
I have been thinking about buying the PTB but I wonder how effective it would be in very rocky soil. Does anyone have experience with digging out a lot of rocks with the PTB? I also wonder about durability of the bar in the stated work conditions.
Can't speak to the rocky soil, but there is no reason it wouldn't work better than standard bucket. In terms of durability, it is about 4x as thick and strong as the bucket you attach it to.

LRoyJetson

May 17, 2015
va
There are very few products that are hard to find negative reviews on.
The PTB is one of them, it does what it says it does, and is very reasonably priced.
I really liked mine.(sold tractor, kept bar) don't know why.
New tractor will have bigger bucket. (will order new PTB)

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Based on all of the reviews I have read on this site I ordered one today. It will take about two weeks for delivery according to the person that took my order.

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
I ordered mine last Monday and received it today. I believe it had to be custom made to fit my 48" bucket. I won't be able to install it until the weekend, but it looks impressive and of very good quality.

The wife texts me and says there is a very large package on the porch and I can't move it...lol

Steve A.

Equipment
L48
Nov 24, 2014
El Dorado Hills, CA. USA
I read the reviews about the Piranha Bar and all tout the virtues of the product an am therefore considering a purchase myself.

I currently have a "Ratchet Rake" that does very well tearing up grass, vines (poison oak) and small saplings. I know the Piranha Bar is designed for a different purpose but the "RR" can also dig.

Here's my questions. Is the Piranha Bar that much different/better for digging and can it handle hard packed clay with rocks. AS an aside my Kubota L48 has a backhoe that I use when the it is needed.

My son thinks I'm crazy to have another tool in the shed, what's your thoughts?

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I currently have both, the PTB never comes off and I only put the RR on for bigger raking projects or if I need to seed. From a digging perspective the PTB way out digs the RR, main challenge when digging with the rake is getting anything in the bucket. Both good tools where the RR is more of a specific job tool and the PTB is good all around tool. Hope that helps, good news is you don't have to take the PTB off to put on the RR. If you have the $$ nice having both, glad I do.

sledpuller

Equipment
Kubota RTV900
Mar 10, 2016
Stoneboro Pennsylvania
The last 25 years of my life I have used tooth buckets of all sorts. For yard work, leveling, ripping tree roots or bushes out, the BXPanded wins hands down on my BX. Don't even consider another style of tooth.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I read the reviews about the Piranha Bar and all tout the virtues of the product an am therefore considering a purchase myself.

I currently have a "Ratchet Rake" that does very well tearing up grass, vines (poison oak) and small saplings. I know the Piranha Bar is designed for a different purpose but the "RR" can also dig.

Here's my questions. Is the Piranha Bar that much different/better for digging and can it handle hard packed clay with rocks. AS an aside my Kubota L48 has a backhoe that I use when the it is needed.

My son thinks I'm crazy to have another tool in the shed, what's your thoughts?

Steve,

For the investment - the PTB is a fantastic one. Your ratchet rake is similar, but fine tooth.

The PTB is 1/2" thick metal, completely locked onto the cutting edge of your bucket. Two things I do with mine, stand the bucket straight up on the TB, wiggle the bucket back and forth, the larger serrations push into the soil and then move the bucket back down - this allows a good chuck of root or dirt to be popped up. Other things is back dragging, ether the tooth pointing down OR flat on the ground, one way leaves a hill/valley - when flat, leaves a very smooth surface like on gravel.

Again - I think you will find the cost not to be a factor once you use it a few times.:)

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Love it.
But it hurts more than the std bucket if you leave the bucket up some and then walk into it. :rolleyes:

Steve A.

Equipment
L48
Nov 24, 2014
El Dorado Hills, CA. USA
Thanks to all for your reply's, I'm still on the fence. But, based on your reply's if I had bought the Pirahana first I doubt I'd be asking about the Ratchet Rake, even though it is a great product.

I came across another product on the "TBN" forum that peaked my interest. It is a "Titan" tooth bar and the reviews on Amazon are all 100%. I have a Titan 72" grapple that I'm very pleased with and their customer support is very good.

Here's a link:
http://www.palletforks.com/tractor-...id-steer-bucket-tooth-bar-universal-size.html

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Thanks to all for your reply's, I'm still on the fence. But, based on your reply's if I had bought the Pirahana first I doubt I'd be asking about the Ratchet Rake, even though it is a great product.

I came across another product on the "TBN" forum that peaked my interest. It is a "Titan" tooth bar and the reviews on Amazon are all 100%. I have a Titan 72" grapple that I'm very pleased with and their customer support is very good.

Here's a link:
http://www.palletforks.com/tractor-...id-steer-bucket-tooth-bar-universal-size.html
I just pulled the trigger on the piranha bar. I can see lots of applications. I saw the ratchet rake, but one video turned me off cause a guy complained the ratchet straps broke and had to rig a chain setup.

I saw the product you put a link to, and those look like a lot of the ones I've seen out and about. They look very strong and a bit heavier than the piranhas but as another youtuber pointed out, he didn't care for the steep angle on the forks.

For me, I think the straight edge will be more advantageous.

just my 2 cents

socapots

Equipment
bx2360, Landpride box blade, FEL.
Nov 7, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
Finally got mine on and used it, great tool. I honestly never used the fel, before adding the piranha bar. But it's badass.
now to get better at the fel operation overall. Lol.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA

Here's a link:
I was on the fence too about getting the PTB. I finally bought it and installed it today. I am glad now that I bought it even though I have not even used it yet. I was watching a video by Paul Short about bucket modifications and in it he mentioned what he called a "happy face bucket". After viewing that video I decided to inspect my bucket for the happy face. I only did a visual inspection, no measurements or straight edge. I saw nothing out of whack during that visual inspection.

Flash forward to today. I was installing the PTB when I noticed that it seemed to have a gap on either edge where it fitted to the bucket cutting edge. It was tight against the bucket edge in the center though. This caused me to check my bucket with a straight edge. It turns out that I have the start of the happy face bucket. I think that installing the PTB as tight as I could will stop that happy face from growing into a full blown smile. I have so many BIG rocks on my property that I am constantly digging up and if this PTB performs as I think it will, I should not only get more rocks up easier, I will undoubtedly get a longer life out of my bucket.

I am happy that I bought that PTB even if the only benefit that I get from it is to prevent the bucket from getting further damage. I have attached pictures of the PTB and how it fits to the left front, right front and middle front of the bucket. If you look closely you can see the slight sag in the middle of the bucket edge. It was not evident to the naked eye until I installed the PTB.

Attachments