Problems bleeding B6000 fuel lines

woodsnhills

Equipment
B6000E
May 19, 2014
Kentucky
I ran my B6000 out of fuel (I know, bone-headed move) and now I'm having trouble bleeding the air out of the fuel lines.

I've loosened the two bleeder screws at the filter (red arrows in the below photo) and put the valve (blue arrow) into the down position, which I believe is for bleeding air. A solid stream of fuel comes out of the screws. Nothing comes out of the valve, but I'm not sure if anything is supposed to.

With the bleeder screw on the injector pump (yellow arrow) open, nothing comes out, so fuel isn't getting here.

I can take the fuel line off the plastic canister (arrow in photo below, I'm not sure what this part is) and add fuel into the system to start the tractor, but it obviously dies after that little bit is used up. Is that plastic canister supposed to be completely full of fuel, or is the air bubble in there intentional (I don't remember what it was like before running out of fuel)?

I'd appreciate any help as I've already tried various procedures I've found online without luck.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Ok. Im confused. It looks to me like plastic canister is connected to soft lines off injector pump,or return lines. I think its an optical delusion. Then theres the fuel pump below plastic canister.if it runs with fuel there in plastic canister then its not airlocked at injectors. Its not getting fuel. Blue arrow points at fuel shutoff.

I would turn key on,not cranking. check fuel pump is moving fuel first.
Slightly loosen the nuts on injectorsand crank engine. It should push air out then fuel should start spitting out around nuts. While cranking (need a helper) tighten nuts and tractor should start.

Im suspecting fuel pump(second photo) is airlocked.

Last edited:

HealeyBN7

Equipment
B6000 4x4
Aug 3, 2015
Thousand Oaks
Maybe this is an easy one!

It is hard to see the position of the fuel valve in the photo - the one with the blue arrow pointing at it. It looks like the valve may be closed. The lever should be pointing down. In either of the horizontal positions the fuel is shut off.

Agree that you should check to see of the pump is operating. It will hum or click softly and push fuel to the bleed screw on the injector pump.

I use the crack the nuts method on the injectors to bleed system.

Dean

mdb6000

Equipment
b6000
Oct 11, 2010
monroe, ct
I'm the last person to be giving advice on this, however i have run my b6000 out of fuel before. Pretty sure the "plastic cannister" is a secondary fuel filter. What I would do is pull the fuel line off below it, then turn the key to the on (dont try starting it, just turn the key) position. This should start the fuel pump and fuel should be coming out of the fuel line you just disconnected. If it does, then reconnect, and work your way up the system going all the way to the injectors, each time trying the key method to work the fuel through and also see if there are any failures along the way. The pro's may tell me I did it wrong, but that worked for me.

woodsnhills

Equipment
B6000E
May 19, 2014
Kentucky
Thanks for all the great advice! So I put the lever into the "down" position on top of the fuel filter and tried turning the key to see if any fuel was making it to the injector bleeder. None was.

So I checked voltage at the lift pump and wasn't getting anything. After using a short jumper directly from the battery to the pump fuel started spurting out the injector bleeder screw. I traced down the issue to a cut wire.

Apparently the lift pump has never worked since I've owned it. I'm confident I'll get the tractor going again.... but the battery is dead. I'll have to borrow my friend's charger.

Thanks for the ideas! Will post back if there are any issues.