New to me L3430 w/broken BH90

carmikewest

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3430
Feb 26, 2018
Myrtle Creek, OR, Douglas
I finally got my Kubota tractor and love it. It’s a L3430 with 600 hrs. Unfortunately I alreadybroke the backhoe. I really didn’t think I was stressing it but I heard kind of a loud metalic pop and then the boom would not go up. Everthing else on the hoe works. No external leaks. The boom has no power to go up or down but you can tell it makes a tiny effort. At first I thought an internal seal in the ram was leaking. A friend was talking about some sort of valve problem. Any thoughts on what to look for would be helpful.

I took the hoe off but now I wish I would have left it on for diagnoses. I was thinking of just hooking up the hydrolics for testing, if I knew what to test. I’ve been an auto tech for over 40 yrs but this is all new. I need a book.

I looked at the parts manuals and they were helpful but I really want an actual repair manual. Where do I get that? The dealer?

Thanks in advance, Newbie Mike

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea a little more info would be great.
A bad valve is highly unlikely.
I'm going to say it sounds like you've broken the piston in the ram.

I wouldn't do any hydraulic hook ups without it on the tractor, one wrong move and you could have a mess.

The WSM is P/N 9Y021-17191

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I finally got my Kubota tractor and love it. It’s a L3430 with 600 hrs. Unfortunately I alreadybroke the backhoe. I really didn’t think I was stressing it but I heard kind of a loud metalic pop and then the boom would not go up. Everthing else on the hoe works. No external leaks. The boom has no power to go up or down but you can tell it makes a tiny effort. At first I thought an internal seal in the ram was leaking. A friend was talking about some sort of valve problem. Any thoughts on what to look for would be helpful.

I took the hoe off but now I wish I would have left it on for diagnoses. I was thinking of just hooking up the hydrolics for testing, if I knew what to test. I’ve been an auto tech for over 40 yrs but this is all new. I need a book.

I looked at the parts manuals and they were helpful but I really want an actual repair manual. Where do I get that? The dealer?

Thanks in advance, Newbie Mike
It may be as simple as a quick connect that has come undone since there are no external leaks.

Don't connect the couplings with the tractor running., With the tractor off, move all hydraulic controls around to relieve any residual pressure which makes connecting quick couplers next to impossible to do.

Don't go tearing stuff apart in a search as you will end up in a real mess.

Kubotabooks.com has many free manuals but I did not check if yours was there.

Also, do a google search for Kubota L3430 spec's. Tractor data usually shows you the model before and after yours and their manuals on Kubotabooks.com will be much better than no manual.

Dealers have all the manuals as pdf files. A good dealer will give you or charge you a minimal fee to copy the pdf files to the USB stick you have in your pocket. Other may charge much more.

Post some photos. Describe what you were doing when this pop happened. Do other features on the BH work and if so which ones?

Dave

carmikewest

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3430
Feb 26, 2018
I went to Kubotabooks.com and only found parts lists with pics. Nice but I want an actual repair manual. I’ll chk with the dealer

Everything on the hoe worked fine except the boom. I was going to remove the booms hydraulic cylinder for inspection but decided against it until I find out exactly what the problem is.. I used a come along to raise the boom so I could move the tractor. I was amazed how heavy it was.

I was tearing down an old carport roof when it broke. I really didn’t think I was working it too hard but I guess I was. Live & learn.

If I had a big enough truck & trailer, I would tow it to the dealer and let them fix it.

carmikewest

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3430
Feb 26, 2018
Thank you Dave and Wolfman for you responses. I just ordered a repair manual with the # you provided. Hopefully I’ll figure it out when I get it. Maybe the nut stripped off the shaft and the piston came off?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It could be as simple as Dave mentioned, a quick disconnect popped loose.

I would definitely hook it all back up and diagnose what direction to go before taking things apart. You sure don't want to start disassembling without a good idea of what to look for.

Welcome to the forum. Post up some pictures!!

carmikewest

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3430
Feb 26, 2018
I finally got the hydraulic cylinder out of the boom on my BH90 and took it to my local Kubota dealer for tear down and repair. The threaded part of the comp rod broke off. Hence, it needed a new comp rod and associated parts. Probably a $300 to $400 repair. I’ll be glad to get it operational again. Thanks again for all the responses. Mike