New guy, first tractor, cant decide

Mattvt15

Aug 17, 2019
Vermont
Hi all,

IÂ’ve been lurking most of the summer and thought it was time to post. Great forum and tons of info IÂ’ve learned already. IÂ’ve read enough to say that the B vs BX is really dependent on needs. Well, my situation is a little unique compared to what IÂ’ve read. We just purchased a house with 3 acres of open land. ThereÂ’s maybe 12-16 trees on the property (mostly hardwood with maybe 2 or 3 softwood). The property does back up to the woods but itÂ’s not my property. In addition, IÂ’ve got a GR2120 mower included with the house.

The yard is fairly flat, nice grass on all 3 acres. The current owner loves his GR2120. IÂ’d like to get a tractor for snow removal, maybe mowing if I trade in the GR2120, gardening/minor landscaping (mulch, build patio, etc). The driveway is paved but itÂ’s a mess. IÂ’m thinking that maybe the tractor I get can rip up the pavement and then use tractor to maintain the dirt/gravel driveway. ItÂ’s about 500-600ft long. Right now I canÂ’t think of much IÂ’d definitely need rear PTO HP for, but IÂ’m sure thatÂ’d change. Implements/attachments only needed 1-2x per year, IÂ’ll probably just rent (aerator, post hole, excavator, maybe grader, etc). I definitely want to own implement/attachment for snow and the FEL. Last thing my wife and I are kicking around is to build a pump track for us and our kids.

So the normal dilemma. What tractor do I get? Do I get the BX2380 or the B26xx? And do I keep the GR2120 or trade it in for either of these tractors, or just keep it and donÂ’t spend the money for a MMM?

Sounds like a win-win no matter how you slice it but I want to make sure itÂ’s the right choice as itÂ’s a lot of money (I over research for purchases above $10k).

Thanks all in advance!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Re: New guy, first tractor, canÂ’t decide

I have watched a lot of GP Outdoors videos and how he uses his B2601. I'm amazed how much that little tractor can do.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdDCzCJ8pFiu36OL6zNdoMg

Watching some of his videos may help you decide if that tractor would meet your needs.

rhines81

Equipment
L4060 HSTC, LA805 FEL, BH92 Backhoe and Landpride APSGR1578 Grapple
Jun 17, 2019
PA USA
Look carefully at the PTO HP requirements for the implements that you want to use now and in the future. I found that 25HP (from the PTO) was the minimum that I could get by on for my particular requirements. I ended up with a 40HP tractor with a 32HP PTO. They also say to buy 1 size up from what you 'think' you'll need.
It sounds like your piece of land may be already close to what you need. Mine still needs a ton of clearing, leveling, posthole digging and excavating before I build.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Mattvt15

Aug 17, 2019
Vermont

I have watched a lot of GP Outdoors videos and how he uses his B2601. I'm amazed how much that little tractor can do.

Watching some of his videos may help you decide if that tractor would meet your needs.
Thanks for the link. I’ve watched a bunch of his videos today and feel like the B2601 would be a good fit. Especially his driveway work and snow blowing (but I really don’t want to spend $5k for a snow blower, really!?!). I originally wanted a Bx2380 and it probably would do what I need of it, but I’m leaning towards the advice to buy the next size up and the 2601 seems like a good next size up.

What are your thoughts on selling the GR2120 and getting a MMM or just keeping the Gr2120 for lawn mowing?

Mattvt15

Aug 17, 2019
Vermont
Look carefully at the PTO HP requirements for the implements that you want to use now and in the future. I found that 25HP (from the PTO) was the minimum that I could get by on for my particular requirements. I ended up with a 40HP tractor with a 32HP PTO. They also say to buy 1 size up from what you 'think' you'll need.
It sounds like your piece of land may be already close to what you need. Mine still needs a ton of clearing, leveling, posthole digging and excavating before I build.
Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thanks Rhines. Since this is my first tractor, I dont know what I don’t know, and my need for PTO HP definitely falls in this category. The attachments/implements that require HP that I think I know about are brush hog, flail mower, rear mowers, tillers. None of those I think I’ll need....I think.

That’s part of my problem. I think all I need is to mow (w/ GR2120 or MMM on S/CUT), remove asphalt lay gravel and maintain driveway, clear snow, move garden stuff (mulch, soil, compost, etc). Wife would rather multiple raised beds than a large garden.

What were your requirements that had to go with the larger tractor? I like being under the emissions at <26HP, but I definitely want to be sure I’m not short changing myself. I “think” a BX18/2380 would do the trick but like the extra weight and better hydraulics of the B2601.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Don't rule out a B2301 which is the same tractor as a 2601, with only a couple less HP, yet almost $1,000 less.
My first tractor was a B7500 which had 21 hp (17 at the PTO) with a 54" mmm. It would have run a 60" just fine and is what I'd suggest on a B23/2601. I loved that little tractor and was so glad I got a mmm with it for mowing since it gave me more "seat time" on it. :D
The deck pins up fairly high to allow you to use the FEL or rear implement without having to remove the deck although the deck is quite easy to remove after you've done it a couple times, and the FEL is *really* easy just 2-3 minutes.
I took the deck off after mowing season and occasionally during mowing season when needing to used my FEL on trails or otherwise rough terrain where the deck even pinned up could be cumbersome.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
At 3 acres I'd say a B2601 is justified, a BX would do it.

As always, specs here: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37655

For gravel work, position control would be nice. Ripping up existing driveway might also benefit from a bit more tractor than a BX, but it's only about 30% more so not that exciting.

3 acres is quite a bit to mow, a zero turn would be worth considering. The GR will do a similar job to a B or BX, and I'd say you're better with one machine to do both - one machine to maintain. A B2650 (next size up) will run a 72 inch MMM. That's an extra foot over the 60 inch on a BX or B01.

Depending on how often you mow / how much growth you get / how dense the grass is, you may find that with an open 3 acres you can mow quite fast. I mow on my BX at pretty much full speed, if you've got long straight runs and the grass isn't too dense a B would mow very fast.

The B is quite a bit faster in general than a BX, I find my BX annoyingly slow driving from place to place. That's worth thinking about on 3 acres.

Although the bush at the end isn't yours, is it really anyone else's? Would anyone care if you put tracks in it? Would you use your tractor to maintain those tracks? If so, B2601 has quite a bit more clearance than BX.

An L2501 is worth looking at. That'd mean keeping the GR or getting a rear finish mower. Again, if the property is reasonably open an RFM is a great idea, if you're around obstacles a lot I think a MMM is better.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

Thanks for the link. I’ve watched a bunch of his videos today and feel like the B2601 would be a good fit. Especially his driveway work and snow blowing (but I really don’t want to spend $5k for a snow blower, really!?!). I originally wanted a Bx2380 and it probably would do what I need of it, but I’m leaning towards the advice to buy the next size up and the 2601 seems like a good next size up.

What are your thoughts on selling the GR2120 and getting a MMM or just keeping the Gr2120 for lawn mowing?
My preference, just my preference so opinions will vary, is for mowing the lawn, I like a lawn mower. I use the tractor for bush hogging and the zero turn for mowing.

I have never owned a finish mower (nor has my dad or grandpa). My friend that has a L3301 has a finish mower and loves it.

My personal ownership of a tractor started in May of this year so I'm still learning a lot, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
some comments...

I'd mow the lawn with the exising mower. I do actually. When I bought my BX23S last year , sales guy said did I want MMM ? NO,I already have LOTS of riders to cut grass.besides, once it's on, it'd be on, PITA for me to get 'ground level' these dayze.....

driveway. Get a pro crew in to rip it up, maybe install RAP. 600' of driveway is a LOT of asphalt to deal with ! Even with a BIG tractor and 3 prong ripper, it'll take time,especially the 'learning curve'. You can't use FEL for that job, well, easily, or quickly . I had RAP put down formy service yard.As long as you keep driving on it, it should outlive you. grading is easy, haul a beam and chains behind once a week or 2. My 9HP rider does that chore,easy.

snow removal. if you use a blade you NEED to move it far,far away the FIRST time ! Once it freezes into an ice ridge, well, you're done... I've used a 'commited ' snowblower rider for years, now building an SSQA version for the Kubota. Rear mtd blowers are a real PITA for me, can't turn too well.

raised beds. 2 2x10s + 1 2x6 make a perfect 24" tall bed.use biscuits and WP glue, wll last for years....fill with 'rich ' soil NOT 'dirt',always topdress with 3mix or compost.

grass cutting.There's no way I'd be mowing 2-3 acres of it. see if local farmer can grow horse feed. 3 acres probably takes 3 hours to cut ? EVERY WEEK in the summer,sigh...

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Do you need a cab? I would also hire out the driveway....a small tractor is not suited for this type of work. Maybe a B26TLB...but they are much more expensive.

Mattvt15

Aug 17, 2019
Vermont
Don't rule out a B2301 which is the same tractor as a 2601, with only a couple less HP, yet almost $1,000 less.
My first tractor was a B7500 which had 21 hp (17 at the PTO) with a 54" mmm. It would have run a 60" just fine and is what I'd suggest on a B23/2601. I loved that little tractor and was so glad I got a mmm with it for mowing since it gave me more "seat time" on it. :D
The deck pins up fairly high to allow you to use the FEL or rear implement without having to remove the deck although the deck is quite easy to remove after you've done it a couple times, and the FEL is *really* easy just 2-3 minutes.
I took the deck off after mowing season and occasionally during mowing season when needing to used my FEL on trails or otherwise rough terrain where the deck even pinned up could be cumbersome.
Thanks Oliver. I didn’t even think of a 2301. I’ll have to look more into it.

Mattvt15

Aug 17, 2019
Vermont
Do you need a cab? I would also hire out the driveway....a small tractor is not suited for this type of work. Maybe a B26TLB...but they are much more expensive.
I would love a cab but don’t want to pay for one. I don’t think I’d ever get one. Yes, winters in Vermont get cold, but I’m a skier and regularly ski in <0F temps. I’ve got stuff to keep me warm. Plus, while I think I having a backhoe would be awesome, I think it would be a paperweight 99% of the time I use the tractor. This is one of those things that I would just rent if needed.

Mattvt15

Aug 17, 2019
Vermont
some comments...

I'd mow the lawn with the exising mower. I do actually. When I bought my BX23S last year , sales guy said did I want MMM ? NO,I already have LOTS of riders to cut grass.besides, once it's on, it'd be on, PITA for me to get 'ground level' these dayze.....

driveway. Get a pro crew in to rip it up, maybe install RAP. 600' of driveway is a LOT of asphalt to deal with ! Even with a BIG tractor and 3 prong ripper, it'll take time,especially the 'learning curve'. You can't use FEL for that job, well, easily, or quickly . I had RAP put down formy service yard.As long as you keep driving on it, it should outlive you. grading is easy, haul a beam and chains behind once a week or 2. My 9HP rider does that chore,easy.

snow removal. if you use a blade you NEED to move it far,far away the FIRST time ! Once it freezes into an ice ridge, well, you're done... I've used a 'commited ' snowblower rider for years, now building an SSQA version for the Kubota. Rear mtd blowers are a real PITA for me, can't turn too well.

raised beds. 2 2x10s + 1 2x6 make a perfect 24" tall bed.use biscuits and WP glue, wll last for years....fill with 'rich ' soil NOT 'dirt',always topdress with 3mix or compost.

grass cutting.There's no way I'd be mowing 2-3 acres of it. see if local farmer can grow horse feed. 3 acres probably takes 3 hours to cut ? EVERY WEEK in the summer,sigh...
Thanks Jay for the comments. I realized that while the driveway is 600ft, only about half that is paved. All 600ft will need to be maintained but half needs to be ripped up. Is that more reasonable for a B2301 or B2601?

I’m really fighting the snowblower idea. Tons of money when I could pay someone $40/plow, and they have it plowed before I wake up. We typically get 10-14 storms needing plowing per season, so a front mounted snow blower would take over 10 years to ROI. Maybe I find someone to plow for storms >6” and I use a front blade or back blade to plow any storms <6”. Thoughts on that approach or other ways that might not be as good as a snowblower but comes close?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Thanks Jay for the comments. I realized that while the driveway is 600ft, only about half that is paved. All 600ft will need to be maintained but half needs to be ripped up. Is that more reasonable for a B2301 or B2601?

I’m really fighting the snowblower idea. Tons of money when I could pay someone $40/plow, and they have it plowed before I wake up. We typically get 10-14 storms needing plowing per season, so a front mounted snow blower would take over 10 years to ROI. Maybe I find someone to plow for storms >6” and I use a front blade or back blade to plow any storms <6”. Thoughts on that approach or other ways that might not be as good as a snowblower but comes close?
With no cab a snow blower can be miserable. I would go with a plow however the tractors you are looking at are very light weight. Are there others around you in the area that use compact tractors for this? Can you chat with them about experiences? In my area it would be a big no, but I don’t want geography to matter in this case.

For the pavement...I dont think either of them is a reasonable choice. They are compact tractors not intended for demolition. I get you are trying to justify the cost by offsetting some of these tasks...but driveway demo isnt a good one.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
I have the B2601 mow with 60 inch mmm it has tons of power definitely mows grass. For snow removal I might pickup a rear mount blower as we have a really short driveway 75' +/- have been using self propelled blower.

BX1880 would have done what I needed but my wife turned down the PO

Mattvt15

Aug 17, 2019
Vermont
Thanks Paul. Sorry for the delayed response. I was waiting to get to my computer so I could get through each of your responses here. Phone makes it more difficult to pull apart quotes.....

I did find your table in multiple posts, and it is most helpful. I actually was looking a BX2380 initially and thought my mind was set. Then I saw your table, and the weight difference, lower HP, position control, 2 hydro pumps, are what now has me thinking B2601.

For gravel work, position control would be nice. Ripping up existing driveway might also benefit from a bit more tractor than a BX, but it's only about 30% more so not that exciting.
It seems that ripping up asphalt may not be a good idea with a B2601. If I purchase from my local dealer, they let me get a free rental for 2 consecutive days. Maybe I could make use of that free rental for to rip out the asphalt, have gravel delivered and spread/shape/maintain the driveway w/ the B2601.

3 acres is quite a bit to mow, a zero turn would be worth considering. The GR will do a similar job to a B or BX, and I'd say you're better with one machine to do both - one machine to maintain. A B2650 (next size up) will run a 72 inch MMM. That's an extra foot over the 60 inch on a BX or B01.
This is interesting. I would have thought that the GR2120 would have been better than a B2601. If its similar, then I think that makes the decision to sell/trade it when I get a S/CUT tractor.

Depending on how often you mow / how much growth you get / how dense the grass is, you may find that with an open 3 acres you can mow quite fast. I mow on my BX at pretty much full speed, if you've got long straight runs and the grass isn't too dense a B would mow very fast.

The B is quite a bit faster in general than a BX, I find my BX annoyingly slow driving from place to place. That's worth thinking about on 3 acres.
I'll probably only mow 1x/week. Good to know faster speed. Its mostly flat land, and mostly open, save for a grove of 8 apple trees and a few other random trees. Any idea how long 3 acres would take on a B2601? That's one part I'm trying to work out in my head. Do I get a used ZTR for ~$4-5k or do I get the MMM on the B2601 for ~$2.5k? If there is a significant time savings, ZTR may be the answer, but I just don't know what that time savings would look like. 30min probably isn't worth it to me, but >1hr is a different story.

Although the bush at the end isn't yours, is it really anyone else's? Would anyone care if you put tracks in it? Would you use your tractor to maintain those tracks? If so, B2601 has quite a bit more clearance than BX.
They probably wouldn't care, but its sloped pretty heavily with a ravine at the bottom. I don't think I'll be doing too much in the woods right now. But, I don't want to limit myself either.

An L2501 is worth looking at. That'd mean keeping the GR or getting a rear finish mower. Again, if the property is reasonably open an RFM is a great idea, if you're around obstacles a lot I think a MMM is better.
I've looked/read about L2501, but I think that's too big. Plus, while I don't want to pay for a front mounted snow blower, I'd like to keep that option open, and I think the L series can't support a front blower.

Mattvt15

Aug 17, 2019
Vermont
With no cab a snow blower can be miserable. I would go with a plow however the tractors you are looking at are very light weight. Are there others around you in the area that use compact tractors for this? Can you chat with them about experiences? In my area it would be a big no, but I don’t want geography to matter in this case.

For the pavement...I dont think either of them is a reasonable choice. They are compact tractors not intended for demolition. I get you are trying to justify the cost by offsetting some of these tasks...but driveway demo isnt a good one.
I'll have to check to see, we are moving in a few weeks, so not sure what people use yet. Would a plow eliminate the problem that back blades create? meaning I could create bigger mounds of snow? My driveway is not bracketed by anything, so I could push plenty of snow piles off the side of the driveway thoughout its entire length.

I did speak with my local dealer about this and he suggested just getting a rear blade and/or front plow/blade. If I really needed a snow blower, then come back, but thought I'd be fine without one. We get a lot of 2-6" storms, and maybe 1 or 2 >10" storms a year. My town averages right around 100" per year.

Good to know on the driveway demo. If I buy through my closest local dealer, I get free 2day rental. I could maybe use that rental to get the right tool for demo of the driveway then put gravel down and maintain it with the BX2380 or B2601.

Mattvt15

Aug 17, 2019
Vermont
I have the B2601 mow with 60 inch mmm it has tons of power definitely mows grass. For snow removal I might pickup a rear mount blower as we have a really short driveway 75' +/- have been using self propelled blower.

BX1880 would have done what I needed but my wife turned down the PO
Thanks Michigander. How much do you mow and how long does it take with the 60" mmm?

That's the other thing I've been contemplating. Get a walk behind blower, and a blow or back blade for the B2601/BX2380. That way if I really need to move the snow piles/edges around, I can by hand. Or if we get a big dump, which only happens a couple times a year, I can just walk it. Otherwise, I'll use the tractor for every other snow fall.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Lots and lots of things to consider, as you are finding out.

Based on what I've read, if I were you, I would sell the lawn tractor, and buy a nice new or lightly used commercial 60" ZTR for mowing. Pay to have the driveway done, and plowed in the winter. Then, in a couple years, re-access your tractor needs/wants.

Seems like you're more of a "want" than a "need", and that's ok, but I'm not sure you really know what you "want" yet, other than something efficient to mow grass with, which a tractor isn't.

My $.02.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I am ocd about a lot of stuff, but maybe not the gravel drive, but if it is done right it doesn't need anything for years. Mine is quite steep, and has what I call road mix, gravel and clay and sand maybe, it packs pretty well. I was going to touch up some spots where a gully washer moved some gravel, but easier to send a neighbor kid out with a rake to shift it back. 10 minutes. 3 years since I had some new road mix put in, and 20 years before that. Fwiw it is not too bad to snowblow either. The skids dig in until it freezes and so I have to be careful using the FEL valves. After that it can go in float. What I am saying is not much maintenance needed.