dipstick reading on BX23s

chc

Equipment
BX23s
Aug 15, 2019
Newville, PA, USA
I just bought a BX23s, well, a month ago. Day of purchase, when I checked the engine oil level, it showed about 1/2" above top hole in stick. Yesterday, I did the 50 hr oil/filter change, new filter and 3qts of Kubota oil. I used a vac pump to empty the old oil; indicated close to 3 qts coming out. Dipstick shows, again, about 1/2 " above top hole. Neither the dealer, nor Kubota HQ, can tell me if something is amiss. I have not had any indication; ie frothing, smoke, etc that oil level is too high. Anyone had a similar experience? Any thoughts? Thanks

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Totally different tractor, but mine calls for 6 quart for oil and filter change. First time I did it I was over the mark like you are. 5 1/2 quarts gets me to the full mark.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I used a vac pump to empty the old oil
This is definitely not the best method of oil draining. The purpose of that initial service is to get any flash, shavings, or excess gasket material out of there... not because the oil is worn out. Anything gravity took to the oil pan is still in there. And you'll never get a complete drain without pulling the plug.

Last edited:

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
The use of an oil extractor is an acceptable means of changing the oil. I started using that method with my Jetta Diesel. I have since used it with my Hyundai Sante Fe and all power equipment. Cannot use it on my Ford F150 ecoboost though as the dip stick does not go completely into the oil pan. Can be a slow process though.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
This is definitely not the best method of oil draining. The purpose of that initial service is to get any flash, shavings, or excess gasket material out of there... not because the oil is worn out. Anything gravity took to the oil pan is still in there. And you'll never get a complete drain without pulling the plug.
I tend to agree. I've read you can get a more complete drain of oil with the vacuum method but it just seems like a solution in desperate search of a problem.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would just fill to the full mark on the dipstick.

There will be some residual left after draining, vacuuming, etc.

Whenever I have drained/filled my front axle, I don't get anywhere near the stated capacity back into it, but it's full and stays full.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
The use of an oil extractor is an acceptable means of changing the oil.
I didn't say it wasn't an acceptable method, what I said was it is not the best method.... that's just fact. There's a reason all manufactures put a drain plug in the bottom of the pan. The rapid flow of oil will help remove anything that is sitting in the sump. If there's a stray piece of silicone floating around in the sump, your vacuum tube will not pick it up. I have pulled many chunks out with needle nose pliers. Dipsticks do not go to the bottom of the oil pan.... in many cases there are windage screens and or baffles that may prevent the suction tube from going to the bottom of the oil pan. And, a vacuum extractor can't check magnetic drain plug(s) for scrap iron.

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
i have to agree, a drain plug takes 2 seconds, and has worked just fine for decades, lets not over think this. The vacuum people really love all their stuff they use to suck out oil though

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I have read of numerous oil quantity issues, but have never had this problem. My OCD would not like it ;)
As long as you're getting close to the specified amount of oil back in after the change (3.1 qts) I would likely remark the dipstick. Maybe taking the dipstick to the parts counter and comparing it to a new one would be a good idea?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I tend to agree. I've read you can get a more complete drain of oil with the vacuum method but it just seems like a solution in desperate search of a problem.
Can be very false method on most kubota tractors, as the oil pan on most units have 2 oil drain plugs and using and extractor would leave quite a bit of dirty oil still in the engine. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I just bought a BX23s, well, a month ago. Day of purchase, when I checked the engine oil level, it showed about 1/2" above top hole in stick. Yesterday, I did the 50 hr oil/filter change, new filter and 3qts of Kubota oil. I used a vac pump to empty the old oil; indicated close to 3 qts coming out. Dipstick shows, again, about 1/2 " above top hole. Neither the dealer, nor Kubota HQ, can tell me if something is amiss. I have not had any indication; ie frothing, smoke, etc that oil level is too high. Anyone had a similar experience? Any thoughts? Thanks
I don't get your dilemma?
You're simply over filling the system if it's above the mark.