Sharing Hydraulic Implements

Tweetybrun

Equipment
L 3200 Tractor Loader B/H RTV x1100c Grand L 4060 FL 805, BH 9.2
Jul 28, 2014
Hancock New York
I have a Woods Back Blade with hydro angle and tilt. My neighbor is asking to borrow it. I’m concerned about cross contamination with the hydraulic fluid. He has a different brand tractor and uses a different fluid. I’m not sure how religious he is in routine maintenance. Does anyone know if I should be concerned?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Oh boy. Depends on your relationship with the neighbor. And the chances it will get torn up and if neighbor will pay for any damage.

At the least I would flush it when it comes back. Will cost you some fluid and time but would not bring that up with neighbor.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Oh boy. Depends on your relationship with the neighbor. And the chances it will get torn up and if neighbor will pay for any damage.

At the least I would flush it when it comes back. Will cost you some fluid and time but would not bring that up with neighbor.

Also depends on whether he has anything you might want to borrow... Or is able to provide labor... =). Even with a neighbor I trusted, I’d still drop a comment along the lines of “you break it, you buy it, and it costs $XThousand”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
This has come up before. As I recall, the consensus was that the small amount of fluid left in the cylinders and hose is negligeable compared to the sump capacity.
It would still bother me though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I wouldn't do it even though it displaces very little fluid. Do it a few times and it adds up. Why dilute the best their is for you tractor with something else?

Be like sharing syringes....you might get an infection!:D

Tweetybrun

Equipment
L 3200 Tractor Loader B/H RTV x1100c Grand L 4060 FL 805, BH 9.2
Jul 28, 2014
Hancock New York
Thank You for your comments. I’m not getting a vaccination, I’ll be up front with him regarding my concerns. He knows I’m a bit picky with my equipment anyway. We probably won’t be talking after this. :mad:

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
I understand your concerns, and it is for this very reason I don't loan, nor do I borrow. I spent the money on something to make MY life easier, not others. If he asks for help, and you get along, that is one thing. But to let someone else use my equipment, and not care for it like I do, just doesn't happen any more.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I wouldn't do it even though it displaces very little fluid. Do it a few times and it adds up. Why dilute the best their is for you tractor with something else?

Be like sharing syringes....you might get an infection!:D
I'd say you'd have to do it many times... Pretty easy to purge a cylinder of fluid anyway, just pull the hoses and cycle the cylinder manually and the fluid squirts out. Not a big deal.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
My neighbor and I have solved that problem of switching hydro implements... He has a Deere and it is green. His hydro oil (OEM Deere oil) would be in the same jam as my Kubota oil.... cross contaminated. We took the approach two tractors are better than one... I took my tractor over and we attacked the project together... I did the actual upfront work where my implement was needed and he did the back up clearing behind me...

Done in half the time... and in time for "0" beer thirty.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Smart move. I retired from a large hydraulic component manufacturer that made products for CAT and others along with aircraft pumps, hoses and fittings.

I asked one of the hydraulic engineers there a few years ago the same question and his answer was to never mix hydraulic fluids. Some machines require fluid that is not compatible with others and will cause the seals to degrade/disintegrate and then you have a real problem. Also, different hydraulic fluid manufacturers use additives to control corrosion, wear, etc.

I agree small amount of cross contamination probably wouldn't hurt. However, the seal issue is one that I would not be able to overlook if it were my tractor. You don't know how much "bad" fluid it causes to degrade a seal.