Help for two screw-ups B1550 fuel system

sncdoc

Equipment
Kubota B1550HST
Feb 24, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
I made two mistakes and need help recovering. Any pointers will be appreciated.

The story:
B1550, 597 hours, bought new several years ago.

I started having engine cutouts and bogging down and quickly narrowed down the problem to a clogged fuel filter. My first mistake, I had cleaned the filter once but never replaced it and hadn't thought about it for a long time. Sure enough, when I took the filter bowl off, the fuel filter was covered solid with black flakes and gunk. After kicking myself, I ordered and replaced the filter.

Now second mistake. I tried to start the engine and of course it had air in the lines and I hadn't gone through the purging instructions that are clearly stated in the Work Shop Manual. I then tried purging using the vent on the fuel line after the fuel pump per WSM. I didn't get any fuel out of the vent valve while turning the engine though. I still tried starting it and it did kick off and ran for a while. I used the tractor a couple of times for an hour or so but then I started having the usual air in the fuel line symptoms, tractor runs for about 3-10 minutes and then starts stumbling. I would vent again and get it going and continue to run until I was finished with brush cutting or whatever.

Now this past weekend, I tried to cut grass for a while but it ran for 3 minutes and the venting procedure didn't fix it. So then I looked on line and found the procedure for venting at the injector fuel line connection and tried that. I did get some bubbles out of the 3rd fuel line (3 cylinder, third from the front). The other two didn't show much fuel coming out, just got a little wet even after I ran the battery down. I put jumper cables on the battery and tried some more but still no fuel out of the 1 and 2 cylinder fuel lines. Engine will not start at all now.

Question is, should I suspect more air anyway and try venting more, or did the clogged filter changing get some junk in the fuel lines? How to check each of these possibilities? Or is there another possible cause?

Thanks for any input.

Doug

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Doug, the flakes and gunk could be "stuff" that's gotten in your fuel tank a little at a time or maybe you have some algae.

You need to be sure you're getting fuel through the system. I am not familiar with your tractor exactly, but I may be able to get you going in the direction to get it cleared up.

Need to be sure your fuel is fresh and has no water in it. Fuel tank needs to be clean.

Remove the fuel line coming to the fuel filter and see if fuel runs out. If not a good fuel flow you need to go to the tank and see what the obstruction is. Could be grass, leaves, a rag...who knows?

If fuel is fine before the filter, reinstall the hose. Then remove the hose coming from the filter. If fuel flow is low, replace filter.

Follow your fuel lines and continue checking each connection. Be sure hoses have no cracks and clamps are tight.

You should have a bleeder screw just before your injection pump. Open it and see if fuel flows. NOTE WHEN TURNING ENGINE OVER TO GET FUEL FLOW, keep throttle wide open. Also, only turn the starter over in 20-30 second intervals. Give you starter time to cool down so you don't end up having to fix that also.

If you can loosen the fuel lines at the injectors just turn the nuts loose 2or3 turns. Turn the engine over to get fuel to this point. When fuel dribbles out, tighten that nut. Continue in the order they dribble fuel (after they each dribble).

At this point your tractor should start. It may stumble for a minute or two (or three) but it will clear up an be back to normal.

Basically you need clean fuel with no air intrusion into the system.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
A very common mistake,filling a dirty fuel container and then pouring it into your tractor.
Algae is another thing altogether,although i have little or no experience(knock on wood) its my understanding it can be a real nuisance.
Clean entire fuel system, including toss that recently replaced filter and fresh fuel from a clean jug and fuel additive with algacide.
Best of luck to you.

philkent

Jan 21, 2012
australia
My guess is you have some crap in the fuel tank and it was restricting the flow th the filter, This happened to me on a different machine

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US
I would go ahead and treat your fuel with algacide. I fought that problem all summer. I had a hard time finding somewhere that sold the treatment when I did one treatment and tractor back to running good and fuel economy picked up too.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

sncdoc

Equipment
Kubota B1550HST
Feb 24, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
Some good suggestions. Thanks D2Cat for a good detailed description of the process to get the lines cleared and find where the obstruction is. I'll get to that and cleaning out the fuel tank, hopefully this week. I'll start looking for the algaecide to add to my stored fuel since I do keep a couple of 5 gallon containers filled in my tractor shed most of the time. I've been adding Sta-bil for diesel fuel ever since I had the fuel filter gel up one cold, snowy day when I needed the tractor to clear a driveway.

Will let you guys know what I find.

Thanks. Doug

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
If you are getting fuel in gal cans remember where you got it fromso if you are getting water or alage it may be in their tanks. I fought an alage problem one summer in my skid steer and the fuel came from one dealer. You can get the alage treatment at any farmer CO OP or supply store. It is called biocide and it is not cheap but I treat all my fuel everytime with it now. It is cheaper than replacing filters and cleaning out the fuel system

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
In addition to the above, sometimes someone mistakenly fills up a diesel with gas. This can cause some strange, similar symptoms, too...:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
In addition to the above, sometimes someone mistakenly fills up a diesel with gas. This can cause some strange, similar symptoms, too...:D
Gets really expensive in the new tier 4 engines. At least the green ones. Had one bussed in with fuel rail pressure issues. The gasoline caused the pressure relief valves in the injection pump to fail after five minutes. At $900 a pair for the valves :eek:

sncdoc

Equipment
Kubota B1550HST
Feb 24, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
Found the biocide from Sta-bil at my Tractor Supply and will be getting a quart (expensive but with the small amount used for each 5 gal can it should last a while). I won't be able to work on my tractor this week since I've been called out of town, but will be disassembling next week. Thanks again for the replies.

sncdoc

Equipment
Kubota B1550HST
Feb 24, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
Finally was able to get back to working on the tractor. I disconnected the fuel line where it goes into the fuel filter and got just a dribble followed by just drops and then nothing. I had a funnel with a ball of cheese cloth in the neck (very large funnel) and was draining the fuel into a 5 gallon gas (diesel really) can. When nothing came out, I sealed off the fill opening and blew into the fuel tank to give it some pressure. Sure enough, like many of you had thought, a big gob of gunk came out. (I actually thought it was a cricket at first, about the same size.) following that more smaller gobs came out until it started flowing freely and clear.

My next planned step is to check or change the fuel filter and then reconnect everything, bleed and then try starting the tractor. I thought about removing the tank and "wash" it out with kerosene but looking at all the interference items and the time it would take to get the tank off, I decided against it. I'll see if the fuel filter catches anything else by checking it frequently if the tractor does start and run OK.

Any comments on this plan of attack?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Doc, you did fine.

This does not necessarily apply to your situation, but it may help others in the future.

When you need to pressurize a fuel tank to force fuel and crud out, simple: cut an old inner tube. It can be a bicycle, motorcycle, auto tube depending on the opening size of the fuel tank. Cut the tube in a circular pattern around the valve stem, with the valve stem being in the center. Leave enough rubber to allow for a large hose type clamp to clamp the tube around the fill ring. Use an air tank/hose to add pressure. DO NOT OVER PRESSURIZE (5lbs or so) OR YOUR FUEL TANK WILL TAKE ON A NEW SHAPE.

sncdoc

Equipment
Kubota B1550HST
Feb 24, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
It will definitely help in future situations and I will make sure that I have a spare old inner tube (usually there's one hanging around somewhere).

sncdoc

Equipment
Kubota B1550HST
Feb 24, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
Fired up tractor a few days ago and ran it for an hour in the morning with no problems. I didn't declare victory until today when I gave it a good workout with the bush hog for a couple of hours. It runs like it did when it was new. I'll be paying more attention to the preventive maintenance and filter changes.

Thanks again guys for the feedback and advice.

Doug