Three point not working

tsinclai

Equipment
L245 tractor
Jan 7, 2014
howell Mi
I have an older (1977) L245 tractor and the three point lift has gotten progressivly worse and now dows not lift at all. It was making a wining noise wien you move the lift lever now it does not. Also the lift lever is very easy to move (no resistance on the lever at all. Please advise.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to the forum!
I have a friend with a 235 that had the same issue- he found that the pickup tube was cracked and sucking air.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
You might try checking the linkage itself. Also, there is a screen filter at the bottom of the transmission housing, way down below the seat on the right side. If it is blocked/clogged it can cause the 3-pt to quit.

tsinclai

Equipment
L245 tractor
Jan 7, 2014
howell Mi
I cleaned the screen a few weeks ago and it seemed to help a little at the time while it was still somewhat working. Where is the pickup tube located?
Thanks, Tim

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
I cleaned the screen a few weeks ago and it seemed to help a little at the time while it was still somewhat working. Where is the pickup tube located?
Thanks, Tim
By any chance is it cold where you live, thought so. Park it in a warm garage overnight and your problem will most likely go away
When i first got my b8200 i had the same issue and cleaning the screen didn't fix it but replacing it did. The mesh is so fine it wont let oil flow thru if its the least bit dirty and as it thickens due to the cold it gets worse.
You may need to actually change out the fluid for new if it has collected and moisture in the bottom of the sump.

tsinclai

Equipment
L245 tractor
Jan 7, 2014
howell Mi
Yes It is very cold here now(-12) last night I had in in a heated area last night but with the cold I could only keep it warm a few hours. When I pulled the screen it did seem to have very fine holes. I will try replacement of the screen. I still do not understand why the lever has no tension on it at all, it moves freely and will not maintain a position when it was working.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is 2 nuts and a couple of spring washers that make the lever have tension, included a picture of them.
L245 3 point lever.JPG

You have a simple hydraulic system , Pick-up screen/filter screen, suction line, pressure line, control valve and relief valve.

The control valve is almost always blamed for problems but almost always isn't the problem.
Common problems are:
1: Bypass valve is turned in the open direction, (most models have a valve under the seat that bypasses the three point control to give you and optional power port), look for valve handle.

2: Bad/old/plugged screen and fluid, Replace screen and fluid. and do #3 at the same time, when fluid is drained.
3:Cracked suction line or bad rubber hose,(suction line is the large line that goes to the pump), pull and inspect for cracks, wear spots, and bad rubber connection (it can look fine on the outside and be collapsed or split on the inside.
4: Stuck relief valve, pull and clean and replace any O-rings.
4: last and least, pull the top off and rebuild the valve and the cylinder.

If you include some pictures of the valves under the seat I can point out the bypass if you have it.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Lets start real simple.... when was the last time the hydraulic fluid has been flushed and changed? Old hydraulic fluid gets thin over time and looses lifing power.

tsinclai

Equipment
L245 tractor
Jan 7, 2014
howell Mi
OK, thanks for all the info, I will start with the fluid, screen and pickup tube. I will let you all know how things go, It may be a few days before I get to it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I do believe on your model the screen is the only filter, unless you see a canister/cartridge filter (looks like an oil filter).;)

Jarhead2147

Equipment
L245H
Aug 19, 2019
Lindale, TX
There is 2 nuts and a couple of spring washers that make the lever have tension, included a picture of them.
View attachment 9885

You have a simple hydraulic system , Pick-up screen/filter screen, suction line, pressure line, control valve and relief valve.

The control valve is almost always blamed for problems but almost always isn't the problem.
Common problems are:
1: Bypass valve is turned in the open direction, (most models have a valve under the seat that bypasses the three point control to give you and optional power port), look for valve handle.

2: Bad/old/plugged screen and fluid, Replace screen and fluid. and do #3 at the same time, when fluid is drained.
3:Cracked suction line or bad rubber hose,(suction line is the large line that goes to the pump), pull and inspect for cracks, wear spots, and bad rubber connection (it can look fine on the outside and be collapsed or split on the inside.
4: Stuck relief valve, pull and clean and replace any O-rings.
4: last and least, pull the top off and rebuild the valve and the cylinder.

If you include some pictures of the valves under the seat I can point out the bypass if you have it.

NIW, I have a similar issue with my 3 point hitch. First, a little background so you have complete picture.

The three point hitch was working fine until the supply and pressure lines were removed from the pump. This was done to gain access to the block in order to plug an engine oil leak.

The lines were replaced, oil added to proper level. Tractor operated correctly for 4-6 hours then stopped.

I have read most, if not all, threads on this forum regarding this issue and have done the following...

1) Drained and changed the hydraulic fluid, actually 80/90wt oil
2) Removed and cleaned the hydraulic screen.
3) Removed the supply line from both the pump and the housing sump and used compressed air to blow it out.
4) Did the above process to the pressure line also.
5) Removed the relief valve, cleaned and inspected it for scratches. (This part is discontinued as are the internal components) Then reassembled it.
6) Removed the entire upper rock arm housing, cleaned, inspected and replaced all the O-Rings, Backing Rings, and springs in the control valve, the shaft O-Rings and the piston O-Ring and backing seal. Then reassembled.

Once everything was reinstalled, the lift arms came up and held a load. Once they were lowered, they failed to lift again.

This tractor has a hydraulic lift cylinder that raises and lowers the front sweeps. This cylinder has sufficient pressure to lift the arms with me standing on them. ( I weigh over 200 lbs )

I don't think it is the pump as I have plenty of pressure to operate the front hydraulics.

I tried adding a picture but I do not have enough posts, yet.

I read in a previous post that bypassing the front hydraulic cylinder would aid in trouble shooting. I disconnected the lines and looped one of the lines back, thus bypassing the front cylinder. The 3 point hitch still did not function.

I have adjusted the knob below the seat to both extremes and counted the turns to ensure the "middle" position. The 3 point hitch doesn't work in any position.

I did remove and clean the breather tube. No joy with the 3 point hitch.

Any suggestion or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi