BX2200 losing power intermittently

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
BX2680 with FEL and 60" MMM, rear PTO snowblower, 4' box blade, pallet forks
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Hi there: I have a BX2200 with 1485 hours on it, using the 54" MMM. I'm mowing the lawn right now and noticing that on uphills (even slight ones) or left hand side grades (if sitting in the driver's seat, my right hand is lower than my left if I place them on my knees) the tractor is occasionally losing power and I can hear the RPM's drop, while also noticing speed slowing and more pedal not helping. It doesn't choke out completely, but almost comes close it seems. I also notice the fuel gauge, which reads half a tank on flat ground right now, drops to almost empty.

Is this a normal operation thing? Or is it trying to tell me to check something? Thanks!

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
I made a short video to show what it's doing. I just did a complete fluid and filter change about 20 or so hours ago it seems, and didn't have this issue then. All fuel is filtered through one of those funnels with a filter on it to remove water and contaminants, but I buy the off-road diesel from a reputable gas station so not sure that that is the issue.

https://youtu.be/Vc7y-1PfrsI

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Fill it full of fuel and see how it does.
Need that to figure out if you have a pump or tank issue.

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Roger that. I did add some fuel and it seems to have stopped the problem for now... The gauge is only reading 3/4 though not full despite it being full to the eye inside the cap.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Roger that. I did add some fuel and it seems to have stopped the problem for now... The gauge is only reading 3/4 though not full despite it being full to the eye inside the cap.
Sounds like the gauge is lying to you. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Certainly does! Now I can't imagine that would cause a loss of power... I'll run it and when it gets back down to half or below I'll go up some hills and side slopes and see if she boggs down again.
Most likely rust in the tank blocking the outlet for the bad fuel sender. :(

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Hello, I'm back from camp and back in action on my BX2200. Since I last asked, I had filled the fuel tank full and drove around a bunch, with zero issues.

Today (now at 1490 hours so about 5 more since I filled tank and had the loss of power issue) I was mowing the lawn and started getting the same bog down problem. The gauge would be just below 1/2 tank, then drop to E or slightly below E as power left me. If I let off throttle it would chug along, if I kept the hammer down and kept going uphill it would seem as though coming dangerously close to stalling. Throttle position remained the same: a smidge backed off from wide open after I engaged the mid PTO.

Any pointers or steps for what I should be doing next? I just filled the tank again, it seems to only happen when actual fuel level gets below 1/2. It doesn't happen downhill at all, but even the slightest grade seems to trigger the bogging down and loss of power issue.

Thanks for any help you guys can give, much appreciated as I can't afford to have the dealer work it over in time or money until I have to.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Your symptoms are typical for a failed lift pump aka fuel pump.

When the fuel tank is full, gravity moves fuel through the system to the injection pump. As levels drop or the tractor is on a slope, the delivery of fuel relies on the lift pump. Going up hill will produce different fuel staving symptoms than going down hill which will act like a full tank if the terrain is steep enough.

Fist check for a fuel pump fuse and then for a failed pump.

Dave

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine

When the fuel tank is full, gravity moves fuel through the system to the injection pump. As levels drop or the tractor is on a slope, the delivery of fuel relies on the lift pump. Going up hill will produce different fuel staving symptoms than going down hill which will act like a full tank if the terrain is steep enough.

Dave
Awesome thank you! Anywhere easy to find that fuse?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

Dave
Yep, I'm with Dave.

As far as fuse, you may have a fuse box on right side of battery enclosure. Just going by my BX model.

You need to look at the owners manual, and a workshop manual (WSM).

Should give you answers to your questions, and also help you familiarize yourself with the workings of the tractor... I learned a lot going through mine.

I believe you can find both at www.kubotabooks.com

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Awesome thank you! Anywhere easy to find that fuse?
I do not have acccess to the Owners Manual. The WSM shows two fuses.
I expect they will be around the lower part of the dash.

However, I have attached the test procedure for the fuel pump.
First step is to verify power to the pump which would also tell if the fuse were blown.

Dave

Attachments

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
You guys are the best! I'll check that out first, I'd LOVVVVE it to be as simple as a fuse.

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
You guys are the best! I'll check that out first, I'd LOVVVVE it to be as simple as a fuse.
Just remember that if it is a blown fuse, you will need to find out why it blew. Could be a short to ground or your pump may be drawing too many amps. Also when you turn the key on you should hear the fuel pump rattle to life. If you do hear it then you know you have wiring integrity if your fuse was not blown. As for me, I had a similar problem with my G6200H except mine finally just stopped. I lucked out as the bullet connector vibrated loose and came apart.

Another note, if it is a rusty sender as others have pointed out, you should know that keeping your fuel tank full will help keep moisture out of the tank and help prevent the rusty sender issue which can cause alot of the headaches you are experiencing. Moisture in the diesel as you know can introduce algae, not easy to get rid of.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
I checked all four fuses (it seems only one actually does anything, the other three are for lights?) and all were fine. Which means I suppose I'm going to have to locate and dig into the fuel pump next? It lost power a little today mowing with a full tank this time.

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
Do you hear the lift pump when you turn the key to the on position?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Do you hear the lift pump when you turn the key to the on position?

When you turn the key, I think you should hear a “clatter” sound about under your seat. That’s the lift pump.
It’s located underneath, after the “first” fuel filter, kind of near the hydraulic filter (on my BX2360....don’t believe they changed much).
It’s a silver cylindrical pump with a mounting bracket, fuel line in/out, and electrical connection.

It’s smaller than a tomato soup can, and is just removed and replaced. No tearing into anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
When you turn the key, I think you should hear a “clatter” sound about under your seat. That’s the lift pump.
It’s located underneath, after the “first” fuel filter, kind of near the hydraulic filter (on my BX2360....don’t believe they changed much).
It’s a silver cylindrical pump with a mounting bracket, fuel line in/out, and electrical connection.

It’s smaller than a tomato soup can, and is just removed and replaced. No tearing into anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes you should. I'm wondering if he can hear the pump run and if he can then he should disconnect the fuel line and see if he has a good flow up by the engine. If not then he should determine if he has poor flow right out of the pump and if so if there could be a clogged prefilter. If the flow is still poor, then he should look into the fuel tank to see if he has rust flakes blocking the fuel outlet in the tank. He said his sender is not working correctly and does not keep his fuel tank full all the time which could cause the sender to rust and flake off. When he has these issues he should try blowing air into the fuel line to clear the blocked like to see if it temporarily brings back his performance. If it does then he will need to tend to that fuel sender I would think.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes you should. I'm wondering if he can hear the pump run and if he can then he should disconnect the fuel line and see if he has a good flow up by the engine. If not then he should determine if he has poor flow right out of the pump and if so if there could be a clogged prefilter. If the flow is still poor, then he should look into the fuel tank to see if he has rust flakes blocking the fuel outlet in the tank. He said his sender is not working correctly and does not keep his fuel tank full all the time which could cause the sender to rust and flake off. When he has these issues he should try blowing air into the fuel line to clear the blocked like to see if it temporarily brings back his performance. If it does then he will need to tend to that fuel sender I would think.

Absolutely. All good due diligence to diagnose and fix his issue.

Certainly throwing parts at it without determining if there's other problem(s) makes great sense.

The good thing is that most of that stuff is all located in the same area of the tractor.

I haven't put much faith in my BX2360 fuel gauge since new. Odd shaped tank. However, given that it sounds like a half-tank problem made me lean towards the lift pump. But as you point out, other issues can be in play.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: