Wiring Diagrams

Chuck Saylor

Equipment
tiller back blade brush hog
Aug 16, 2019
Vancouver Wa USA
Hi to all. I have bought Kubota L175. 1970 I think. It needs a lot of wiring repair. Does anyone have a color coded wiring diagram for this old L175 and in particular for the alternator charging system? If you do and would be willing to E-mail it to me I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks Chuck Saylor E-mail address chuck.saylor48(AT)gmail(dot)com

Last edited by a moderator:

Chuck Saylor

Equipment
Aug 16, 2019
Vancouver Wa USA
Kubota books.com will not let me access the part of the L 175 manual I need. Sure would love some help accessing color coded wiring diagrams for my L 175. Can anyone help me?

Thanks Chuck

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I do not know what you are trying to do that you cannot download the entire WSM which includes the wiring diagram. Perhaps you could explain further.

I have sent you Jumpshare links to download two different WSM covering the L175 + a sales brochure

Dave

Chuck Saylor

Equipment
Aug 16, 2019
Vancouver Wa USA
Hi to all. I have bought Kubota L175. 1970 I think. It needs a lot of wiring repair. Does anyone have a color coded wiring diagram for this old L175 and in particular for the alternator charging system? If you do and would be willing to E-mail it to me I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks Chuck Saylor E-mail address chuck.saylor48(AT)gmail(dot)com
Hi Dave, Sorry but I am not not real computer literate. Why I can not down load the part of the manual I need I do not know. Page 48 is all the site allows me to see. Just hoping someone could send me the wiring diagrams I need.
Thanks for trying Chuck

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Hi Dave, Sorry but I am not not real computer literate. Why I can not down load the part of the manual I need I do not know. Page 48 is all the site allows me to see. Just hoping someone could send me the wiring diagrams I need.
Thanks for trying Chuck
I have sent you the stuff.

Check your email.

dave

Chuck Saylor

Equipment
Aug 16, 2019
Vancouver Wa USA
Hi Dave I have looked at the wiring diagrams and am a bit confused. My wiring on my 1970 L 175 is virgin I am fairly sure, but the colors don't all match the diagram. I have red to the battery from back of alternator and that is a diagram match. I also have a 3 prong plug in on top of the alternator. One wire going to it is yellow and red. The other 2 wires are black, go into one plug prong and to the regulator on the other end. Does this make any sense to you?

Thanks Chuck

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Chuck
A lot of the confusion comes from the fact that some L175, in fact likely most, came with a dynamo instead of an alternator.

The wiring diagrams in the material I sent you only covers the dynamo.

In some years and countries the alternator was an option.

Why do we not talk about what problem you are trying to solve or change you want to make.

Dave

p.s. I just sent you by Jumpshare a B7100 wiring diagram for the option alternator which would follow the same wiring convention

Last edited:

Chuck Saylor

Equipment
Aug 16, 2019
Vancouver Wa USA
Hi Dave. I will get straight to my problems. My alternator went out on my L175 so I bought a new one for replacement. The plastic part of the wiring harness that plugs into the top of the alternator fell apart on the harness so I got a new one but I am uncertain which wire goes to which connection. The red battery wire on the back of the alternator is a given,but my other wires ( 1 yellow and red and 2 black tied together in one connection aren't on of the diagrams I have seen.. Any suggestions? Also I do not know what jumpshare is or how to use it.

Thanks Chuck

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Chuck

I want to be certain you really have an alternator and not a dynamo as I can find no comparable tractor models with an alternator where there is a yellow with red stripe wire.

Can you provide the part number of the "alternator" you bought plse.

Dave

Chuck Saylor

Equipment
Aug 16, 2019
Vancouver Wa USA
This alternator was purchased through ebay. That is the only number I have for it. I don't have a kubota number that was used as a reference. I will research it more and get back to you with any information I can come up with. It may take me until tomorrow.

Thanks for your help and patience.Chuck

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Chuck
I see the typical Kubota L175 alternators on eBay.

How did you determine your alternator was bad and not your regulator?

When I look at regulators on eBay, I see them with a Yellow wire with possibly a red stripe.

For $28, the cost of a regulator, I think it would be wise to buy one and then try and match the terminal identifiers, letters in the alternator casting, with similar letters on the regulator.

I found a reasonable wiring diagram for an external regulator system and marked it up. In addition to the main red output wire/terminal there are three small terminals marked E F N.

E stands for Earth or ground. That wire winds its way through the harness providing a ground for lights, flasher, misc other things and the regulator.

F and N both go back to the regulator. I used colors which are not matching Kubota's but will enable you to follow their route.

Dave

Attachments

Last edited:

Chuck Saylor

Equipment
Aug 16, 2019
Vancouver Wa USA
Hi Dave. Thanks for the great drawing with the color coding. I will get a new regulator as you suggest and that could be the problem as you also suggest. My original alternator was not charging and the idiot lights quit working so I assumed it was bad. Probably should have had it tested but did not at the time. I will have it tested now to see its condition. Will let you know how this turns out as well.

Thanks again for all your help Chuck

Chuck Saylor

Equipment
Aug 16, 2019
Vancouver Wa USA
Hi Dave. I am unable to find a voltage regulator that is the same 3 wire hook up as mine but was able to clean the points in my old one. Along with my new alternator I tested 12.7 volts with engine off. I then ran engine at 1500 rpms and voltage came up to 14.7 volts. I think it is good. Your thoughts. I must have done something wrong on my rewiring of the alternator because I have no warning lights for oil pressure or charging. My plastic plug on the new alternator has 3 wires red, blue and yellow. I think yellow goes to (F) field, red goes to (E) warning lamps and blue goes to (N) neutral. I am unsure where to attach the blue neutral wire since there is no wire that goes from it to the regulator. The red and yellow both have wires that go to the regulator. I guess I still need a little help.
Thanks Chuck

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Chuck
The good news is that you are indeed charging.

All I can think is that you may have blown a fuse hence no dash warning lights and/or two of the three alternator wires are in the wrong place and that would explain a blown fuse.

Can you post a photo of your regulator.

Dave

Chuck Saylor

Equipment
Aug 16, 2019
Vancouver Wa USA
Hi Dave. I am not very tecky and do not have a smart phone to take pictures with. The regulator is rectangular. On top is one post that has an (E) on it. Does it's wire connect to the alternator (E) post? Is it also the regulator ground? On the bottom are two posts. The right post has an (F) on it which must go to the field wire of the alternator. The left side post has an ( IG) on it. Does it's wire go to the (N) post on the alternator?The alternator has a plastic plug in with three posts.One is marked (E). Does it go to the (E) post on regulator? The second alternator post has an (F) on it and would go to the (F) post on the regulator. The third alternator post has an (N) on it. Would this wire go to the (IG) post on the regulator? Just double checking! Let me know if I am correct and I will then recheck these to make sure that is how I connected them. I thought that if the warning lights did not work that the alternator could not charge but I must be wrong in that assumption since testing shows it is charging.

Thanks Chuck I can not tell you how much I appreciate you and this forum!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Chuck
How many terminal are on the voltage regulator?

Does it look like this one? A removable black cap held on with two screws?

Your last post is puzzling as it leads me to think the regulator only has three terminals which seems odd.

Dave

Attachments