Zero Turn - Before You Start Replacing Safety Switches

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I had a problem last week on my ZD21 where it wouldn't start. I started checking the safety switches (next time maybe Kubota could think about putting them in a little more accessible location or provide some access panels).

I had started to have a problem where the PTO lever was hard to engage. I pulled the rear wheels and checked the PTO safety switch. There was grass clippings between the switch lever and the switch, so the switch wouldn't fully depress. I cleaned it up, blew out the area with the air gun and thought I had the problem solved. That was only half the problem. It still wouldn't crank.

I then lubed the PTO lever points where the rods went through support brackets and the lever was still hard to engage. Then I lubed where the shaft enters the transmission. Still stiff. I had the wheels off so I went under on the left side to look around and saw where the shaft goes all the way through the transmission. I shot some "Break Free" on the left end and that fixed the problem.

The shaft then operated easily and smoothly. The lever also was able to go all the way back (fully disengaged). That was the main problem. Before the lube, the PTO lever was not able to go all the way to the rear. It looked like it was going back but the safety switch wasn't being depressed. I also adjusted the switch a little so that the switch lever was higher.

Problem solved. So my recommendation for you ZT owners is to lube the PTO shaft on both sides of the transmission if it starts getting hard to move. Otherwise, you may replace a switch that already works.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Yep fairly common on the ZD's and ZG200's particularly on the ZD3xx with rear discharge and mulching decks. Those two types of decks seem to make a lot more clipping buildup about everywhere, including under the seat (and in the air filter, radiator, and screens). The clippings dry out, dew sets in, moisture pulls chemicals from the clippings and that moisture/chemical solution can cause some issues. Wash it once in a while and it's not a problem. The issue with washing is that not everyone has time and there are a lot of little places that stuff builds up on a lot of the Kubota's, so washing can take a while.

I'm guilty too....reminds me I need to go clean mine.