Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

Tweetybrun

Equipment
L 3200 Tractor Loader B/H RTV x1100c Grand L 4060 FL 805, BH 9.2
Jul 28, 2014
Hancock New York
Good Afternoon,

I have a 12000lb warn Winch used for recovery on my GMC HD. I have Anderson 175 Amp 600 volt plugs as a connection to my truck being a Temporary Installation. I was wondering if I can do the same on my Grand L. I do not have the Heavy Duty Alternator on The Kubota. With the above being said, does anyone think this would be an issue on a temporary basis? I have a 2” receiver on my forks and 2” receiver on my 3 pt quick hitch for the rear where I can mount the winch in a cradle. Structurally I’m not concerned. My concern is Electrical...
any thoughts?

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
I have a 12,000 # Warn winch as well. It is a receiver mount, and can go on the front or back of my 2003 Dodge diesel PU. I would not use it with my Kubota unless I had it connected to a stand alone battery. Not worth the damage to the tractor electrical system for me.

Jack

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have the HF equivalent and I'd never consider using it on my tractors and they have a lot bigger batteries than yours does. The amp draw would fry your battery in seconds. Keep it on your truck.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I had a smaller winch on the B7500 that I owned from 2002 till 2012 and used it one time.

On the other hand I bought a Warn 8274 back in the early 80's and used it on a Ramcharger , a Chevy Silverado and finally a Jeep Wranger before giving it to one of my sons for his Cherokee that he takes offroading. That winch is great and was used quite a bit on the 4X4's it was mounted on but I simply don't need a winch on my tractors.

Tweetybrun

Equipment
Jul 28, 2014
Hancock New York
Thanks, I appreciate the response. I thought so, I never did The Electrical calculation but considering I need a HD Alternator for Rear window defrosters I kind of figured.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
I’m an auto electrician by trade and worked on utility & emergency vehicles in all sizes. If you can rig a temporary battery with the winch while letting the tractor recharge the winch batter via isolator, it will be fine. The only limit is charging time. Do get a deep cycle battery for this task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I have a 4000LB Superwinch Portable that can be used with just about any 12v battery, I've used it to lift my 900Lb gun safe out of my truck and move into the house, pulled a 56 chevy out a garage up hill and load to onto the trailer. Recovered a couple of snowmobiles and ATV's ,
Knock on wood not on the Kubota yet.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The alternator recharges the battery. The battery supplies current for the task.
The alternator will not be harmed by pulling more amperage than the alternator is rated as it is regulated and will not attempt to over-produce.
The battery may discharge after long pulls with your winch but will eventually be recharged by the alternator.

I do not know why others have said the battery will "fry"... not so. I do not know why some think the alternator will be damaged. Not so.

The only drawback will be that your winch will begin to run "slow" as the battery voltage drops if you attempt long pulls.... but long pulls will also overheat your winch. Read your winch manual to determine it's duty-time and don't exceed that and you'll be fine.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I have used my Warn 9k with for 10 years on my L2800 with no issues at all. I wired a 2ga wire harness/plug to the battery...run the tractor during operation...works fine.

I am certainly open to learning why this is an issue for others...but some of these posts are confusing me regarding harming the electrical system...

My tractor has a full size good AGM12v battery...maybe others are using smaller batts?

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I have one that hooks to my rear 3ph and plugs straight into the batt. Never had a problem with it, has not even run the batt down that it will not restart the tractor. fyi

Stomper

Equipment
2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
The alternator recharges the battery. The battery supplies current for the task.
The alternator will not be harmed by pulling more amperage than the alternator is rated as it is regulated and will not attempt to over-produce.
The battery may discharge after long pulls with your winch but will eventually be recharged by the alternator.

I do not know why others have said the battery will "fry"... not so. I do not know why some think the alternator will be damaged. Not so.

The only drawback will be that your winch will begin to run "slow" as the battery voltage drops if you attempt long pulls.... but long pulls will also overheat your winch. Read your winch manual to determine it's duty-time and don't exceed that and you'll be fine.
Im no automotive electrical pro by no means but I have to agree with this.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I've never had a situation where I thought needed a winch on the tractor. With the bucket and backhoe, that thing can crawl up and out of any hole it can dig itself into.

Tweetybrun

Equipment
Jul 28, 2014
Hancock New York
I've never had a situation where I thought needed a winch on the tractor. With the bucket and backhoe, that thing can crawl up and out of any hole it can dig itself into.
Thank you to everyone for your input. It is appreciated.