Anyone can tell me the difference between disc harrow and disc plow ?

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine

zload

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2400HSD/47 John Deere Model M
Apr 14, 2015
FL
As stated above the disc plow turns the soil over while the harrow essentially breaks it up.

If you try to harrow a turf area you'll see the harrow will not penetrate very deeply into the turf so it requires lots of passes and even them will not do a great job. The turn plow, either disc type or moldboard type will invert the soil but commonly it will still be very clumpy so usually requires the harrow to come back over it and break it up and smooth out the surface for planting crops.

Some use a rotating tiller to accomplish the entire task but even then it can lead to a hard layer below where the tines can penetrate.

Not a farmer either but a pretty intensive gardener.

Bottom Plow

ETA to link video of a bottom plow

Last edited:

BIA tractor

Equipment
Kubota
Nov 6, 2018
Jinan,Shandong,CHINA
Thank you,get it!:)
Disc Harrow >>https://www.ruralking.com/rk-disc-7...GkrteMGvXJDuZXpFVwT9nKdes1TsvFkxoCcBYQAvD_BwE

Disc Plow on Utube >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZAMWZB9b6A

Disc cuts up the soil. The Disc plow plows over a furrow and dics cut it up. Land plow plows over a furrow with each pass. Then you hook on the disc harrow and finish the field or garden.

I'm not a farmer by the way. But grew up seeing them used. Other 'real' farmers here will correct me if I'm wrong.

BIA tractor

Equipment
Kubota
Nov 6, 2018
Jinan,Shandong,CHINA
zload thank you:):)
As stated above the disc plow turns the soil over while the harrow essentially breaks it up.

If you try to harrow a turf area you'll see the harrow will not penetrate very deeply into the turf so it requires lots of passes and even them will not do a great job. The turn plow, either disc type or moldboard type will invert the soil but commonly it will still be very clumpy so usually requires the harrow to come back over it and break it up and smooth out the surface for planting crops.

Some use a rotating tiller to accomplish the entire task but even then it can lead to a hard layer below where the tines can penetrate.

Not a farmer either but a pretty intensive gardener.

Bottom Plow

ETA to link video of a bottom plow