clutch, ft axle query l245dt

John RHR

Equipment
L 245 DT (emeritus) L3902
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif
Folks -

HALP! Okay, had to replace a rusted clutch on the L234dt. Got it apart, replaced what was needed; now having an issue getting the two halves of the tractor back together.

I have everything lined up, but the cases are still 7/8" apart. Near as I can tell, the clutch is engaged, and the issue is the driveshaft to the front axle. The splines, at this point, should be engaged, but I can still spin the driveshaft where I have the flange disconnected at the rear axle, and the front axle does not spin - I have the tire raised off of the ground, and at this point, the splined section should have engaged in the front axle coupling. I sure don't want to force anything. What am I missing?

Everything else looks good - the clutch is aligned, the case halves are pretty well in line, top to bottom and side to side, but 7/8" apart. I have a couple of longer bolts in two of the trans bell housing mount holes to draw the assembly together, but as I said, I don't want to force it and break anything.

Your observations are most welcome.... I really want to get this thing done!

John

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well John,
I know your problem, you have a L245DT and your replacing a clutch on a L234DT, it's never going to work.... :p

had to replace a rusted clutch on the L234dt.
Now being Serious... If you can't spin the front tire the PTO is in a bind for some reason, like the splines are not lining up right.
Loosen your bolts a little and keep trying the spin the front tire, keep doing this till the propeller shaft spins, and make sure it's in 2wd or you'll never get it to line up.
Then when you think you have it put it back in 4wd and it shouldn't spin.

John RHR

Equipment
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif
Okay, thanks.... But what does the pto have to do with the front drive? I can spin the front tire, regardless of what's in or out of gear, so I'd think that the driveshaft from the 'transfer case'/transmission is not engaged either at the front axle, or at the transfer case itself. I did disconnect the driveshaft flange (2 bolts) at the transmission, and can grip the splined driveshaft with pliers - I can turn the driveshaft and it does not spin the front tire - the front tire, off the ground, still freewheels. In the service book, it makes no specific mention of dealing with how to engage the front axle driveshaft, other than to 'put it back together' so.... really could use some insight to get this beast back rolling. Thank you for your earlier response.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you can't spin the front tire the PTO is in a bind for some reason, like the splines are not lining up right.
See I'm not even exempt from a bone head typo: :D
I meant to say propeller shaft, not PTO. :eek:

Pull the single bolt on the front cover and check the front coupler as it sounds like it's slipped out.

Attachments

Last edited:

John RHR

Equipment
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif
Wolfman -

Well, some additional work and it popped in with a bang, but still having issues - - can't get it to come together and don't want to force it. Please see my follow up post about the clutch disc, and thank you for your input. Niggling with the shaft again did help that part of things, but there's more than one problem.

John

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sometimes it just takes a little more nudging to get the input shaft to go into the pilot bushing.
Stomp on the clutch pedal a couple times, or jack up one rear wheel, put it in high gear and turn the wheel back and forth a couple times, or if you can bump the motor that will do it too.